Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Soma rush toeoverlap?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Soma rush toeoverlap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-19, 11:21 PM
Ziyi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soma rush toeoverlap?

Thinking about picking up a new soma rush frame this year, love the purple!!

Has anyone in the forum ridden one on the smaller side? Are there any toeoverlap?
If so, how much toe overlap?
i would be getting a size 51cm with medium size toeclips. I know toe overlap shouldn’t be an issue but I own a kerin track bike with quite a lot of toe overlap , so for my next frame I would love to not to keep that in mind when I’m weaving through traffic.
(I live in a traffic heavy urban area)

Last edited by Ziyi; 08-09-19 at 04:30 AM.
Old 08-06-19, 11:39 PM
BicycleBicycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I had a pake rum runner, which was essentially a rush with crappy tubing.
Overlap was definitely existent, but not crazy.
I rode it in very urban areas and very rarely noticed the toe overlap though because it's a track frame and you control it with your body. If I did notice it, I was going so slow that it didn't matter.
That being said, I rode platforms and only used one strap (on my pulling foot), so maneuvering my feet around the pedals while urbaning at low speed would probably be different for me than it would be for a lot of other people. I also have large feet.
Man, that was a great bike. Rode really well.

Almost every fixed gear that isn't marketed as specifcally being "for t3h street" or "relaxed geo" is going to have toe overlap I think. I've noticed it on other frames i've hopped on, and if the wheelbase is similar I don't see what else would change it, but I haven't ridden as many bikes as some of the people on here probably.
If you're worried about it now, you'll probably be worried about it on another track frame.
Why don't you measure your wheelbase, and check the rush's wheelbase to compare? That will probably give you a much better idea.
Especially with clips where you don't have the option of pulling your foot back a lil.

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 08-06-19 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-06-19, 11:52 PM
diff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This is a really nice frame. Wish the current model wasnt purple. All city big block is pink. What is going on these days?

Any fixed gear frame that doesn't have an overly long top tube will have some overlap. Especially on a 51.

I have a 55cm bike with similar geo and there is overlap. In fact more overlap than my volume cutter with the bars backwards.

I would find something at your local bike shop with similar geo and test.

Wouldnt you want 650 wheels though on a 51?
Old 08-07-19, 08:09 AM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I've got a Rush in 55 and don't notice the toe overlap but I'm running BMX plaforms with YNOT straps (which I love). If it's an issue, platforms and wide velcro straps might be a solution as they'll give you a bit more clearance vs clips. I've had 4 different fixed gears of various varieties, 2 conversions and 2 dedicated fixed gears and the Rush is by far my favorite frame.