Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Long cage, short cage, mid cage?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Long cage, short cage, mid cage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-19, 07:46 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
you just have to decide which RD you're gonna use and what the gear range will be on your cassette/freewheel. then, you can figure the max chain length with some math

If....

short cage RD capacity = 28t

freewheel = 28-13t = 15
chainset = 46-30t = 16

16+15 = 31

so, that exceeds the RD capacity by 3 teeth
so, then figure what largest cog you can away with using while on the large ring to fall within the RD capacity

24-13t = 11

16+11= 27...within the RD capacity

so, set the chain length while on the 24t cog and largest ring. never shift to the 28t cog while on the largest ring you're safe
NO. We have seen this movie before. We have seen this movie before way too many times. The following is not a theoretical concern. This happens.

Shift to the large/large combination with a short chain and the derailleur is bent, twisted, sheared off. If you're lucky. Frame damage is likely as well. Crashing is not automatic but very likely. ALWAYS have enough chain for large/large. You cannot count on remembering. Recipe for failure.
Old 08-21-19, 09:54 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Advertised rear derailleur freewheel capacities for the most part were just that - the largest capacity freewheel that would work on the average bike without any (or much) trial and error adjustments.

Suntour V and V-Luxe short arm derailleurs were rated at a maximum 24T rear sprocket but back in the 70's they could handle 26T on any bike no problem - but that was the maximum.

Most of our casual rider customers wanted an RD to replace the Simplex Prestige or Huret Allvit that came on their bikes. They needed to handle "Alpine Gearing" - 10 speeds with a 14-28T FW and 52-42T or 52-40T chainrings.

The mid length Suntour VT would have been perfect but they weren't readily available so we had to use the the long arm VGT derailleurs with an overkill 34T FW capacity. They worked great, never a complaint.

BTW, Suntour V and V-Luxe RDs sold for $6.00 while the VGT RDs were $7.00-$8.00. Campy NRs sold for about $29.00 at the time.

Suntour Cyclones, there were at least 3 different versions of the original Suntour Cyclone RDs. The first one that came out in early 1975 could handle a maximum of 26T but was rated at 24T. The other two were rated at 24T and that was the maximum they could handle.

Suntour listed 3 different Horizontal Dropout Hanger Lengths: 24mm, 26mm, 28mm plus 30mm for their Vertical Dropouts. See chart below.

Variations in the Hanger Length gave different RD capacities plus many other makes and models of rear dropouts had unpublished lengths.

Throw all those things together and you'll get variations that don't match any published specs.

In June 1975 I got 2 sets from the first shipment of Suntour Cyclones to hit the US. They first appeared as vaporware in the trade rags in the fall of 1974.

I put one set on my then all Campy bike running a 13-26T 5 speed FW. It worked perfectly out of the box. The only issue was the hookie 1st generation Cyclone shift levers. Once I did modifications they worked fine too.

I still have the other set NIB!

I ran the first ones on 3 different bikes over the years. Late one afternoon as I was climbing up a short grade to finish my ride, some guy on a zoomie plastic bike passed me.

I threw it into my lowest gear - 26T x 45T to chase him down and the bike came to a sickening sliding stop. I'd sucked my all time favorite derailleur! The cage, the parallelogram and the mounting bolt broke. The derailleur hanger was bent in at 45°.

First time I'd sucked a RD since maybe 1973, a Simplex Prestige on a Gitane Gran Sport!

verktyg
Time for a story from gramps! Yay!
Seriously, @verktyg, you're a gold mine of knowledge. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-21-19, 11:49 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
NO. We have seen this movie before. We have seen this movie before way too many times. The following is not a theoretical concern. This happens.

Shift to the large/large combination with a short chain and the derailleur is bent, twisted, sheared off. If you're lucky. Frame damage is likely as well. Crashing is not automatic but very likely. ALWAYS have enough chain for large/large. You cannot count on remembering. Recipe for failure.
who are you? the derailleur/bicycle safety gestapo?

dude asked. i sent him a link and explained where he was confused. likely he's an adult and can figure for himself if he wants to risk it. and, if he's read the link or anything else on this matter, he knows the risks
Old 08-21-19, 11:59 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
if you are referring to moi, i get it. i'm not technical shifter, and will probably use the big chainring with the outer freewheel cogs, and inner ring with the low gears. never the bigs shall meet, resulting in the end of all life on earth.

afterthought.. i take the advice about going big/big being dangerous and damaging very seriously.

Last edited by cocoabeachcrab; 08-21-19 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-21-19, 12:58 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

lol....end of all life on earth. exactly

really, though, on a double ring set up one would ideally be able to use big on big, anyway. i mean, why not be able to use all range of gearing? and, i'd have to agree there's not much "practical" benefit in using a short cage over a long cage unless maybe you're racing where shifting speed is kinda critical. but, if you're a tinkerer, have that "special" short cage you wanna use, or actually too broke to get a long cage in the moment, i get it. i support the choice.

in the end, it's always a risk riding a bike. i've wrecked so many times regardless of my drivetrain. am still alive with working limbs. and, i think the world is still here
Old 08-21-19, 01:23 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by cocoabeachcrab
if you are referring to moi, i get it. i'm not technical shifter, and will probably use the big chainring with the outer freewheel cogs, and inner ring with the low gears. never the bigs shall meet, resulting in the end of all life on earth.

afterthought.. i take the advice about going big/big being dangerous and damaging very seriously.
on a double, it's probably easy to make a big on big mistake with the short cage set up we're debating, but i tend to use triple chainsets due to the geography and am not in the habit of big on big use. otoh, i've toyed with the idea of exceeding capacity with a short cage myself. then i realized the short cage becomes a limiting factor in being able to use all range of gearing. given that, it doesn't make much sense.... regardless if the johnny knoxville style risk i'd be willing to take
Old 08-21-19, 01:27 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
i hear you. i think about chain lines (unconsciously), and i'm lazy, so don't really care if i'm making the best use of all 10 gearing choices.
Old 08-21-19, 02:37 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
I think Billy Joel would say "it's all rock and roll to me"

Old 08-21-19, 02:49 PM
63rickert

Originally Posted by thook
who are you? the derailleur/bicycle safety gestapo?

dude asked. i sent him a link and explained where he was confused. likely he's an adult and can figure for himself if he wants to risk it. and, if he's read the link or anything else on this matter, he knows the risks
Yes, I am the Gestapo. As stated, have seen this movie many times before. The ending is no good.

If you want to jump off a cliff and expect that you are going to have a different result than the last person who jumped off the cliff feel free to do so.

Setting up any machine with a very predictable failure mode is a bad idea. Only in your imagination is the non-working gear combination never touched. Someone risks imminent harm I am going to speak. Also, as originally posted, this very bad mechanical practice was being commended to one and all. Damage and injury to multiple unsuspecting parties was and is possible. If speaking up in such a circumstance is a horrible breach of internet etiquette you may all go directly to Hell. Mechanical advice given was sufficiently egregious and ridiculous an alert mod should have stopped it, deleted it instantly. Not everything that occurs in social media can or should be instantly controlled. Passing out instructions for how to go hurt yourself simply should not appear. This does seem to be a place where instructions for causing harm get distributed all the time and people get upset if it is ever called out. Screw you all.
Old 08-21-19, 04:24 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Screw you all.
Each and every one of us?

Please, that's a little over the top.

Let's try for civil discourse.

Enough stuff going on the world, let's do better here.
Likes For gomango:
Old 08-21-19, 04:38 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

i think he just means me...lol!
Old 08-21-19, 06:04 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts

I concur. The one time i rode...knowing I had too short a chain and being sure i would never do big/big.......of course i did.....some one on a trail jumps in front of me on an uphill and I think i have 2 more left, not 1....fortunately it was slow, i realized it the second I did it and stopped....did a monty python slow leaning fall...and all that was hurt was my ego.

fwiw I am a big fan of small/small sizing I have used this method with great success with both modern 105 5800 and vintage (dura ace 12/28 and 39/52 front)

Old 08-21-19, 09:09 PM
63rickert

Originally Posted by gomango
Each and every one of us?

Please, that's a little over the top.

Let's try for civil discourse.

Enough stuff going on the world, let's do better here.
Words chosen in hopes of being banned. Waiting.

Civility and comity before safety because if you don't have the first two the good information never gets passed around. Except at this place, where that last step with the good information never happens while all are so so polite.

I learned not to shortchain at age 15. Figured it out myself. Didn't even have to damage anything, just installed a chain and paid attention. And I am not and never was a good mechanic. Only weeks after that I saw examples of what happens with a short chain. There weren't even that many derailleur bikes around back then. It's something anyone and everyone knows. Plenty here know it. Plenty on the thread and posting know it. But don't rock the boat. Someone wants to post information on how to hurt yourself, hey, he's a voice on the intertoobs and has as much right to speak his piece as anyone.

Then some perfect creep comes along with his Gestapo routine. And that's cool too. No one tells him to get lost. No one tells him to STFU. No one defends the party presenting basic info that most know is correct.

But Campagnolo hubs will kill you. Learned that here just the other day. Good to collect bikes from days of toe clips but please, only look at them on the wall. Ride them and you will die. Downtube levers will kill you. Exposed brake cables will kill you. It's true. I read it all right here. On C & V.

Please ban me.
Old 08-21-19, 11:32 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

geez. at one point i was gonna say more. then, i decided maybe not say anything at all. but, that about sums up this exhausting thing that is internet venting. yeah....geez

rather than waiting for the ban that's likely not gonna happen, why not just stop posting? but, maybe you won't get as much thrill out of that

Last edited by thook; 08-22-19 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-22-19, 07:02 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Please ban me.

Just log out and don't log back in.

Just walk away from it.

Go ride a bike or read a book.

I wouldn't spend this much energy on such a low level conversation.
Old 08-22-19, 01:22 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
fwiw I am a big fan of small/small sizing I have used this method with great success with both modern 105 5800 and vintage (dura ace 12/28 and 39/52 front)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuhHn7HaZcQ
That works great as long as you know you aren't exceeding the rear derailleur's capacity, which can happen when a rider decides they need a much lower gear than they had, and replaces their 12-25 with an 11-34.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498