Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-15, 03:55 PM
side_FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'd love to hear how the owners find the ride of the ToughRoad on hard packed dirt trails,etc. compared to say a DS/Crosstrail/Roam type of bike. Do the wider tires make for a more comfortable ride vs. the suspension fork on the other bikes? How sturdy is that ToughRoad fork when the road gets really tough?
Likes For side_FX:
Old 11-06-15, 06:21 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
This afternoon and friend of mine and I went to an LBS that is a Giant, Felt, Surly, Salsa dealer. They had a 2016 Toughroad SLR 2 on the floor in my size (medium). If I had the cash I would have bought it on the spot! I liked it even better than the '16 Anyroad 1, even though it sported the new version of Tiagra.

Now I need to figure out how I can get the Do-Re-Mi to buy one of these bad boys. Unfortunately, I have a lot of bills hitting all at once (home owner's ins, car ins, property taxes, auto repair). It sucks not being a 1-percenter!
Ain't that the way! LBS has the SLR1 version coming soon; I'm very much afraid I'm in the same boat re. outgoings vs. incoming, but I'm going to do my best to get hold of one: "road" oriented 29er-light really appeals!
Old 11-06-15, 06:51 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Ain't that the way! LBS has the SLR1 version coming soon; I'm very much afraid I'm in the same boat re. outgoings vs. incoming, but I'm going to do my best to get hold of one: "road" oriented 29er-light really appeals!
The shop I was at today also had the SLR 1, but I have no interest in loaded touring. For me the bike would only be used for fitness rides to whip my saggy old body into a shape other than round.

The only downside I can see about having a 29er is tire options. I prefer a smoother, low rolling resistance tire that hasn't been knobbified (knobification?). There are scads of road friendly 26" tires out there and there probably will be scads of road friendly 29" tires in time, seeing as how popular they are.

Right now I only know of two ...

One is a Schwalbe Hurricane ...
Hurricane HS 352 | Schwalbe North America

The other is a Specialized Compound Control ...
Specialized Bicycle Components

EDIT: DOHHH!!! I just found out that 29" and 700c are the same diameter. Man, I feel like an idiot. Well, more idiot than usual anyway.

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 11-06-15 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-06-15, 08:03 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
The shop I was at today also had the SLR 1, but I have no interest in loaded touring. For me the bike would only be used for fitness rides to whip my saggy old body into a shape other than round.

The only downside I can see about having a 29er is tire options. I prefer a smoother, low rolling resistance tire that hasn't been knobbified (knobification?). There are scads of road friendly 26" tires out there and there probably will be scads of road friendly 29" tires in time, seeing as how popular they are.

EDIT: DOHHH!!! I just found out that 29" and 700c are the same diameter. Man, I feel like an idiot. Well, more idiot than usual anyway.
Well, that's what you get (in addition to crossed eyes) by hanging around in the adult video section!

Good point, though re. the different models; in my case, even though I'm 64 (you want old? I'll give you old) I do harbour ambitions to do a little on/off road touring at some point. Just keeping the dream alive. I'm also partial to the carbon post/drivetrain. That said, I think the SLR2 is terrific value for money.

Tires: there's lots. Like you, if I do land one of these I'll switch out the tires -- likely to something like this: https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...8-barlow-pass/
Old 11-06-15, 08:36 PM
mrbuku

Bikes: Giant Defy 5, Giant Escape 1, Windsor Wellington 1.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Giant Escape 1 at the beginning of the season and boy do people underestimate Hybrids. Course the Escape is a performance sport hybrid, so I can ride it pretty close mph wise than I can my Giant roadie. I pass people on road bikes on a regular basis riding on pavement and on the gravel paths it is in a league of its own. Makes me wonder why most gravel trail riders even bother with mountain bikes? I heard a lady say the other day at a LBS that she could be going slow on a hybrid and I chuckled a bit as she is probably talking about a comfort bike or more upright position hybrid. But my Giant Escape is definitely a great buying decision. Of course I am a proponent that its more about the motor than the bike. Roadies are great if your a strong rider versus a hybrid, but for the money and the components you get imo a hybrid, especially a sport hybrid is the best bang for the buck.
Old 11-06-15, 08:57 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Originally Posted by badger1
Well, that's what you get (in addition to crossed eyes) by hanging around in the adult video section!

Good point, though re. the different models; in my case, even though I'm 64 (you want old? I'll give you old) I do harbour ambitions to do a little on/off road touring at some point. Just keeping the dream alive. I'm also partial to the carbon post/drivetrain. That said, I think the SLR2 is terrific value for money.

Tires: there's lots. Like you, if I do land one of these I'll switch out the tires -- likely to something like this: https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...8-barlow-pass/
Yep, just too tempting. The thing is I already have 2 bikes that suit this niche just fine. I just want something NEW! I'm so weak!

I'm going to give it some thought over the next few days. I may end up listing one of my guitars on Craig's List, which should bring enough to buy the bike and some swag to go along with it.

As far as tires go, I kinda like the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Saw them in the bike shop today and they looked very nice. And the reviews are always off the charts.

Marathon Plus HS 440 | Schwalbe North America
Old 11-06-15, 09:17 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Originally Posted by mrbuku
I bought a Giant Escape 1 at the beginning of the season and boy do people underestimate Hybrids. Course the Escape is a performance sport hybrid, so I can ride it pretty close mph wise than I can my Giant roadie. I pass people on road bikes on a regular basis riding on pavement and on the gravel paths it is in a league of its own. Makes me wonder why most gravel trail riders even bother with mountain bikes? I heard a lady say the other day at a LBS that she could be going slow on a hybrid and I chuckled a bit as she is probably talking about a comfort bike or more upright position hybrid. But my Giant Escape is definitely a great buying decision. Of course I am a proponent that its more about the motor than the bike. Roadies are great if your a strong rider versus a hybrid, but for the money and the components you get imo a hybrid, especially a sport hybrid is the best bang for the buck.
I completely agree. I used to be one of those anti-hybrid guys several years back. A friend of mine sold me his Giant Roam 2 for a song a while back and I've been a vocal advocate for hybrids ever since.

If my bikes were to get stolen or somehow get destroyed in a tragic blimp accident, I would get a couple of hybrids and be done with it.
Old 11-06-15, 09:28 PM
mrbuku

Bikes: Giant Defy 5, Giant Escape 1, Windsor Wellington 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I completely agree. I used to be one of those anti-hybrid guys several years back. A friend of mine sold me his Giant Roam 2 for a song a while back and I've been a vocal advocate for hybrids ever since.

If my bikes were to get stolen or somehow get destroyed in a tragic blimp accident, I would get a couple of hybrids and be done with it.
Good to know that I am not alone. People get so caught up in brands and types of bikes. I have friend who rides a higher end Scott road bike that laughed at me for buying a hybrid saying that they are for old men with loafers and tube socks. We also follow each other on Strava. My average speed on the Giant Escape, on gravel trails is 17 mph while his average speed on pavement on his bike is roughly 14-15 mph. I joked with him, perhaps you should get a Giant Escape. But I think what many people don't understand is the ability of a performance/sport hybrid. Its not your daddy's hybrid. When I am on the trail that bike can MOVE. I did go and buy a road bike, actually two. But I love my Giant Escape and don't regret for one second putting down the money to get one. Glad I am not alone.

Giant Roam is a step up from the Escape correct?
Old 11-06-15, 09:34 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Originally Posted by mrbuku
... while his average speed on pavement on his bike is roughly 14-15 mph.
That's what I average on my MTB on pavement. I'm 55 and wear loafers with tube socks.

Giant Roam is a step up from the Escape correct?
No, the Roam has suspension and the Escape has a rigid fork.
Old 11-06-15, 09:46 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I'm running WTB Freedom Cruz 700 X 52 on my Marin Muirwoods. There's also Schwalbe Big Apple, Big Ben and Continental has Retro and Classic -you've lots of light, smooth-rolling 29er tire choices these days, not just MTB knobbies.
Old 11-07-15, 03:19 AM
JES600

Bikes: 2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenBiker
Congrats on your bike! Hey - I'd like to know if your bike, being a medium-size has dual water bottle mounts?
Sorry for the delayed response. Bike is a size (M).

Old 11-07-15, 03:50 AM
JES600

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by side_FX
I'd love to hear how the owners find the ride of the ToughRoad on hard packed dirt trails,etc. compared to say a DS/Crosstrail/Roam type of bike. Do the wider tires make for a more comfortable ride vs. the suspension fork on the other bikes? How sturdy is that ToughRoad fork when the road gets really tough?
I can't answer how the ToughRoad is relative to a bike with a front fork suspension as I've never ridden one. But on my first ride on the ToughRoad, I hit a gravel road that was actually hard-packed dirt with potholes. I was surprised how well the big 29.00x50 tires cushioned the ride.

This was also my first ride in over 20 years and am in pretty poor shape overall. I'm pretty sensitive to the bumps and jolts. The bike ate up the bumps and potholes just fine. I have no regrets on getting this over a Roam 1 which was the other bike I was considering.

I was dead set on the Roam initially, but four things swayed my decision.

1. The relative weight. Just going on how the bikes felt sitting on them and picking them up, I felt that for $800+ I should be getting a bike lighter than the Roam.

2. The entry level suspension on the Roam 1 scared me a little bit. Too many not-so-great reviews. Not trying to get into the suspension/non-suspension debate here. But for me, in this situation, I chose non-suspension.

3. The LBS people felt that the larger tires of the ToughRoad combined with the thinner, more flexible seatpost were a big advantage over the Roam and would compensate for lack of a front suspension. They would have made more money on the Roam so I don't believe $$$ was driving their advice.

4. I liked the look of the ToughRoad more than the Roam 1.

Hope this gives you a little help.
Old 11-07-15, 06:55 AM
KC_Crunch

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty much down to this (ToughRoad SLR 2) vs Sirrus (probably Sport, Elite or Comp Disc) for my first hybrid bike. I've ridden the Sirrus models and love them, but my local Giant LBS still hasn't stocked the ToughRoad yet so haven't been able to compare. I don't plan on buying until winter/spring since I can't really start riding until then anyway, so should have time. I'll be curious if anyone has direct experience with both bikes to speak up.
Old 11-07-15, 09:32 AM
FrozenBiker 

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Carbon, Nishiki Hybrid (1x9 mod), Raleigh Sport Comfort

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by JES600
Sorry for the delayed response. Bike is a size (M).
Thx for that confirmation

Originally Posted by KC_Crunch
I'm pretty much down to this (ToughRoad SLR 2) vs Sirrus (probably Sport, Elite or Comp Disc) for my first hybrid bike. I've ridden the Sirrus models and love them, but my local Giant LBS still hasn't stocked the ToughRoad yet so haven't been able to compare. I don't plan on buying until winter/spring since I can't really start riding until then anyway, so should have time. I'll be curious if anyone has direct experience with both bikes to speak up.
After testriding the Elite and Elite disc this Summer, I was impressed with them in regards to the components.
But being a road oriented bike with thin tires, every crack/dip/hump in the road was felt. Not fun at all..
The SLR 2 was as comfortable as my 'ole Raleigh SC. I road it on the streets of Boston, down to a park with
crushed stone pathways. It felt good on all of it. The handlebars are too wide (like the Escape), but that is
an easy fix. They didn't have a medium, so I was riding a large and still loved it
Old 11-07-15, 01:19 PM
KC_Crunch

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear ya. If I get the Sirrus, I'll probably put bigger tires on it -- not sure how much they can handle, but I'll go bigger than the 30s.
Old 11-07-15, 05:13 PM
usedbutnotup

Bikes: Giant Roam 2 Framed Minnesota 2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice to see this thread getting some traction. Now I'll admit, I'm fond of my Roam 2. But the second my LBS gets in a Toughroad in large, its over. He's also a Kona dealer so I want to try out the Big Rove Al. Another bike you hear little about but checks all the boxes for me. It will be one or the other. Not sure how thrilled the wife will be with 3 in the garage, but oh well. Right now I'm hoping for some snow to ride the Fat Bike in. It did well in the summer so gotta try out this thing in its natural habitat.
Old 11-07-15, 05:54 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by side_FX
Urban 29ers handle trails well. A rigid fork matched with wide tires allows for a floaty ride. The carbon TR fork should be as durable as a cromoly one. In my experience with my Marin Muirwoods 29er, it puts the fun back into a bike ride. A TR should offer a similar ride feel, both on pavement and the trails.
Old 11-18-15, 10:16 PM
HCB

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just got mine this afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (101.9 KB, 746 views)
File Type: jpg
2.jpg (100.0 KB, 709 views)
Old 11-19-15, 12:00 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

I'm jealous! Congrats!
Old 11-19-15, 04:09 AM
JES600

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HCB
Just got mine this afternoon.
Very nice bike (I'm biased). Is that a phone holder or a mount for a computer?
Old 11-19-15, 09:13 AM
HCB

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JES600
Very nice bike (I'm biased). Is that a phone holder or a mount for a computer?
Its for a big phone.
Old 11-19-15, 09:32 AM
JES600

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HCB
Its for a big phone.
Gotcha. Thanks.
Old 11-23-15, 12:03 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Just took delivery of my Toughroad SLR2 (size L). Will post pictures shortly.

Very nice bike, rides smoothly, the stock 29x2.0 tires are confident on any terrain while still able to cruise on roads quickly. No difficulty doing things like hopping up or down curbs, feels very solid. The frame transfers power nicely, if you stomp hard on the pedals the bike accelerates immediately with no hint of flex.

Shimano components are solid. I wish the shifters supported two-way release, but the drive-train works smoothly and shifting was flawless (across all gears, kudos to the shop setup). Cables have full length housing, so better for all-weather, and the integrate pseudo-fender/cable cover is nice.

Shimano hydraulic brakes are flawless. The lever style is the longer touring style, better suited for two finger braking. Brakes are firm with great feel, and plenty of stopping power.

Only change I would recommend is swapping to some better grips. I switched to Ergon grips, and they're much better for distances. The stock saddle feels decent, definitely worth giving a longer term evaluation.
Old 11-23-15, 02:24 PM
JES600

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! Nice review. You said it all better than I could. I'm anxious to see which Ergon grips you put on. I don't care for the stock grips either. I swapped the saddle at purchase as my tender rear end hated it. I tried a gel saddle that the shop recommended and I'm happy with that so far.

Post those pics!
Old 11-23-15, 02:27 PM
HCB

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Just took delivery of my Toughroad SLR2 (size L). Will post pictures shortly.

Very nice bike, rides smoothly, the stock 29x2.0 tires are confident on any terrain while still able to cruise on roads quickly. No difficulty doing things like hopping up or down curbs, feels very solid. The frame transfers power nicely, if you stomp hard on the pedals the bike accelerates immediately with no hint of flex.

Shimano components are solid. I wish the shifters supported two-way release, but the drive-train works smoothly and shifting was flawless (across all gears, kudos to the shop setup). Cables have full length housing, so better for all-weather, and the integrate pseudo-fender/cable cover is nice.

Shimano hydraulic brakes are flawless. The lever style is the longer touring style, better suited for two finger braking. Brakes are firm with great feel, and plenty of stopping power.

Only change I would recommend is swapping to some better grips. I switched to Ergon grips, and they're much better for distances. The stock saddle feels decent, definitely worth giving a longer term evaluation.

Good post. I'm a roadie and this is my first jack (SLR2) of all trade bike. It rides really nice though the wheels and components are in desperate need of an upgrade. So much so I ordered a Shimano SLX groupset and Stan's ZTR Arch EX 29 wheels. Really excited.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.