Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Newbies

Old 07-12-19, 11:28 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffmendoza
I had a great time. I need to work on my tactics, and of course my strength. Bike fit is just a guess, but it feels good for the amount of time spent in the saddle for one night. Pinning the number was the hardest thing! I guess I just need to have a helper do it, or change shirts. Also, I want to get a compression shirt as recommended in the protips sticky thread. I'm wondering if this one will work: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...sscmprssncrdsg
The only thing that stood out (and you're not alone in those pictures) is that your arms look pretty darn straight, which isn't ideal.
Old 08-21-19, 01:58 PM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
Some more learnings:

Talked to a friend out in Portland who is much better than me on track. Mentioned I felt like I was spinning out on sprints. He rode our 333m track and said I needed a bigger gear. A lot bigger. Started at 82", them 88. I tried 94 last night and it felt so much better.

One of the marshals also commented to a few of us Cat 5's that our seats looked way too high. I dropped it and was more stable.

Last night was the final night for points for the season - looks like just some fun events next week. Super glad I finally took the plunge and will be back next year.
Old 08-21-19, 02:22 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by EnzoRWD
Some more learnings:

Talked to a friend out in Portland who is much better than me on track. Mentioned I felt like I was spinning out on sprints. He rode our 333m track and said I needed a bigger gear. A lot bigger. Started at 82", them 88. I tried 94 last night and it felt so much better.

One of the marshals also commented to a few of us Cat 5's that our seats looked way too high. I dropped it and was more stable.

Last night was the final night for points for the season - looks like just some fun events next week. Super glad I finally took the plunge and will be back next year.
I'm not sure how much fitting advice I'd take from a marshal after looking at you for 2 seconds on the wall, but glad you found a gear that's working better.
Old 08-21-19, 05:55 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by EnzoRWD
Some more learnings:

Originally Posted by Flatballer
I'm not sure how much fitting advice I'd take from a marshal after looking at you for 2 seconds on the wall, but glad you found a gear that's working better.
Hips rocking up and down is the number one clue to a saddle being too high. I see that from my car when passing roadies from time to time. Pretty easy to spot.

The hips dip down in order to allow the foot to reach the bottom of the pedal stroke. Hips should be stable. When stable, it allows for faster RPMs to come easier.
Old 08-21-19, 06:36 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by carleton
Hips rocking up and down is the number one clue to a saddle being too high. I see that from my car when passing roadies from time to time. Pretty easy to spot.

The hips dip down in order to allow the foot to reach the bottom of the pedal stroke. Hips should be stable. When stable, it allows for faster RPMs to come easier.
Yeah, but people also rock because their core strength isn't there, or they're pushing harder than usual, or need a shim on one foot, or any number of things. I'm just usually wary of amateur fitters giving advice without actually talking or really looking in depth at the entire fit.

Even good fitters tend to stay away from that type of ad hoc advice because it can lead to other issues, or correct something that isn't wrong.
Old 08-21-19, 07:00 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by 1incpa
I've noticed in the last month or so that we have a lot of new track racers on the forum.
I just wanted to welcome everyone! It's great to get more people into track racing!
There's a lot of experienced racers and former racers who contribute here and are happy to share their experience.
Paul
Thank you so much for the newbie shoutout, all oldies were noobs once and support is very welcome!
Old 08-22-19, 08:22 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
This person was an ex-racer who watches from turn 4 and sends the on-deck groups out to the rail after each race. She was watching several races and cited the rocking hips as the reason. In any case, it feels better and I placed better in the following races, so it worked (?) haha

It is interesting because there is electrical tape where my "normal" saddle height is. A few months ago I moved the saddle up about 1.5cm because I felt like was extending enough. Turns out I was wrong.