Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions for a trail bike that is fast on pavement

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 07-21-19, 01:49 PM
stanion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I demoed the Ibis Ripley 4, and really liked it (I've only ridden my gravel bike until now, which often scares me on single track). The Ripley is a good weight for me, around 26 pounds (about the same as my steel-frame gravel bike). I like its big tires on single track. But I don't want to buy a car to carry the bike to the trails, and so need to bike from my house to the hills, which is around 14 miles (and 2300 ft of elevation). This is a nice ride on my gravel bike. So I'm looking for a mountain bike that has a decent speed on pavement. My other requirement is two full-sized bottle-water mounts, because these types of rides are no fun with a backpack (which makes you sweat more and then need to cary more water). So the Ripley, although nice, isn't the best option. I'm having a hard time finding options. Maybe I'm not good at Google searches. I am fine with the idea of a hardtail that has a dropper post, but it should be a lot lighter than the Ripley with its full suspension, and I'm not finding a reasonable option (it should cost less than the Ripley too, being a simpler bike).

Does anyone have good suggestions? If a hardtail, I'd say it should be less than 24 pounds, otherwise I'll consider the 26-lb Ripley and its full suspension and living with its downsides; ideally it would be like 22 pounds or lighter.

Or if you think it is crazy to bike so much on pavement with a mountain bike, I'd like to hear that too. In that case, I'd consider adding a dropper post to my gravel bike, switch to flat pedals, and work on my single-track skills with it.
Old 07-21-19, 02:24 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
I do the same.... Bike to trails.
Change the tires. Like Vittoria Mezcal 2.25.... no bigger. Air up a bit more. Maybe lock out the suspension?
Ripley looks like a good XC FS bike.
Old 07-22-19, 07:01 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Ripleys a great bike I've demo'd them twice
26 is a good weight for FS, but is you don't need a rear shock you can get a lighter, cheaper and lower maintenance bike with a HT. For the same price you can easily put together a 20lb carbon hardtail.
I also occasionally ride a gravel bike on the ST but the wheels get a beating, yes it can be done, but to me its funner on a light HT. As for water, have you tried a hip bag which looks like a fanny pack? A few guys I ride with are switching over to them.
Old 07-22-19, 08:44 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Lots of options for a second water bottle. Handle bars, stem cap, check out 2 fish for ideas. Go with the full sus. Get some low profile knobbies, super 8 or something like a recon. Start there.
Old 07-22-19, 10:03 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I think you are asking a lot for any one bike. 14 miles one-way on pavement ?. You also indicate you're not happy riding the gravel bike on the trails.

Vs. how much time do you spend on the trail ?, as opposed to the road portion ?. That ratio of time spent might drive the mt. bike to be something different, setting it up with tires that are more appropriate for the road and are "OK" for the easier trails, so I assume it's a handling and tire issue and that you like the way a FS mt. bike handles on the trails ?. I might not use a FS instead use an HT which would be lighter, but this is really terrain dependent.

I live 12 miles from my local trail system and I drive it in order to maximize the time I spend in the woods. I then ride longer in the woods.
Old 07-22-19, 10:11 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by stanion
I'm looking for a mountain bike that has a decent speed on pavement.
Besides the extra weight and less aero position, the biggest power sucker on a mountain bike is the tires. If you want to roll easily on pavement, pick a tire with low rolling resistance and pump it up to 55 psi. Then you can lower the pressure when you get to the trail, if desired.

For example, the Schwalbe Thunder Burt TL-E PaceStar at 55 psi has a rolling resistance of 18.5 Watts. Comparing it to a typical road tire like Continental Grand Prix 4000S at 12.2 Watts, the power penalty is minimal.

Bicycle Rolling Resistance - Mountain Bike Overview

Old 07-22-19, 10:25 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
One of Salsa’s new bikes will take multiple bottles within the triangle.

I also think you’re asking a lot. Good MTB tires (I’m thinking reinforced casing and med or large lugs) take a lot of power out and wear fast on the road. That’s aside from any thought of the efficiency of the bike otherwise.
Old 07-22-19, 09:56 PM
stanion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This is good feedback. I like the idea of a frame bag on the full-suspension bike with a hydration pack. I also like the idea of a 20lb carbon hardtail. Right now I bike around with 47mm Terrene Elwood tough tires, which are not the fastest tires, on my 26lb steel-frame bike. I rode 113 miles at 12,470 ft elevation this weekend with this setup (pavement was bad, so I was happy to have this configuration). Since mountain-bike tires consume more watts, and I'm already spending lots of watts on my bike, maybe it will cancel out by getting a 20lb carbon hardtail.
Old 07-22-19, 10:05 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Compass/Rene Herse tires

eg:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/prod...ts/tires/650b/

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 07-22-19 at 10:09 PM.