Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why I ride.

Old 07-23-19, 12:48 PM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
Why I ride.

A lot of people wonder why I do something every day that would kill most people if they tried it once. Because I read the warnings on cigarette packages I abstained from the habit in 1976 when the price of the lung destroyers was 35 cents a pack. Observations of friends and relatives that abused alcohol convinced me to avoid the poison and seeing the damage done to those who smoked weed and progressed to the stronger stuff alerted me to the reality that I and I alone have responsibility for my personal health.

In 1972 when I watched Frank Shorter win the Olympic Marathon I started running to stay in shape when no one else I knew was doing it. I ran for many years until my joints and ligaments began to protest and because I had saved thousands from not buying tobacco weed, or alcohol, I had the resources to purchase an expensive racing bicycle in 1983. It was the best investment of my life as nearly all of the people who were putting powder up their noses at the time are either already dead or swallowing their faces in a nursing home today.

As a libertarian I support the choices of all the corpses and institutionalized vegetables warehoused in beds across the nation enjoying the fruits of those choices. Every day at 72 I get on my bike and ride fifty miles, chasing the wind with clear lungs by choice. I know there is a risk due to traffic, driver inattention and impaired vehicle operation but it’s a risk worth taking just like the risk many others took when they voluntarily sabotaged their vital organs with chemicals.

If I should meet my end on the highway don’t feel sorry for me because any sympathy I have for those who threw away their health by eating like pigs, smoking like chimneys and drinking like fish can be measured in microns.

As a Baby boomer I got great deal. Jonas Salk and Alexander Fleming cleared the minefield of many diseases that took out depression-era citizens and my path was easier. I have a huge appreciation for those who worked so hard to make things better for me. That’s why I ride my bike; It’s good for my heart, my lungs and my mind.

You do what you want; you’re free for now. See you on the road.
Likes For Ray9:
Old 07-23-19, 01:10 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
No, calling human beings corpses and institutionalized vegetables is to rob them of their dignity. They are people, not objects to be looked down on.

Some of us believe that those who have been blessed should serve the least and lowest, not dismiss them because of the choices they have made or because they are no longer of use to society.

We have all made mistakes and chosen poorly. Some of us regret those mistakes dearly. The fact that one chose to exercise and another didn't doesn't make one better or worse.

None of us know what the other person has gone through in life and what they are dealing with on the inside. There are people who lave had children die, been through combat, abused by parents and spouses and raised in homes without fathers, all through no fault of their own. Being hard hearted about it doesn't help anyone be better.

Any one of us could have get a disease or be disabled in a moment. Riding bicycles is no guarantee and the measure you give is the measure you will get. Personally, I hope lots of people come to my funeral and remember me as a sympathetic and generous person.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 07-23-19 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-23-19, 03:13 PM
Ray9

Originally Posted by TimothyH
No, calling human beings corpses and institutionalized vegetables is to rob them of their dignity. They are people, not objects to be looked down on.

Some of us believe that those who have been blessed should serve the least and lowest, not dismiss them because of the choices they have made or because they are no longer of use to society.

We have all made mistakes and chosen poorly. Some of us regret those mistakes dearly. The fact that one chose to exercise and another didn't doesn't make one better or worse.

None of us know what the other person has gone through in life and what they are dealing with on the inside. There are people who lave had children die, been through combat, abused by parents and spouses and raised in homes without fathers, all through no fault of their own. Being hard hearted about it doesn't help anyone be better.

Any one of us could have get a disease or be disabled in a moment. Riding bicycles is no guarantee and the measure you give is the measure you will get. Personally, I hope lots of people come to my funeral and remember me as a sympathetic and generous person.

-Tim-
Meh, it's the old "there but for the grace of God go I" If you break your leg dancing you still have to pay the fiddler's bill. I agree with your last paragraph; anything can happen at any time. I'm hoping for an Eleanor Rigby funeral-to die in a church and be buried along with my name-nobody came. Nobody cane because I outlived everyone who ever really knew me. I don't care much about what other people think; I just do what I do.
Old 07-23-19, 04:08 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
I ride because I no longer take my health for granted. I am a partner in my own existence and there are no guarantees I will live another 30 years let alone another day.

My g/f is not so fortunate. She suffers with migraines and a good day for her is being a few hours w/o severe pain. She forces herself to use a stair climber a few hours a week to manage her pain. Sometimes people do not abuse themselves and bust their butts to avoid hospitals, SNF's, Rehabs and the like. Sometimes it is just genetics.

So I am low key with her and try to keep the storytelling of my rides to a minimum because I know she wishes she could ride with me. She once rode motocross before the migraines disabled her.
Old 07-23-19, 04:40 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
I don’t care “Why you ride”.
Old 07-23-19, 04:47 PM
Ray9

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I ride because I no longer take my health for granted. I am a partner in my own existence and there are no guarantees I will live another 30 years let alone another day.

My g/f is not so fortunate. She suffers with migraines and a good day for her is being a few hours w/o severe pain. She forces herself to use a stair climber a few hours a week to manage her pain. Sometimes people do not abuse themselves and bust their butts to avoid hospitals, SNF's, Rehabs and the like. Sometimes it is just genetics.

So I am low key with her and try to keep the storytelling of my rides to a minimum because I know she wishes she could ride with me. She once rode motocross before the migraines disabled her.
Life can hand anyone a bag of ****. My wife retired and I am glad she goes to the gym with me. She sat at my bedside every time I came within an inch of my life from a crash in a bicycle race. Many times and many concussions with broken bones. At 70 I came in third among the fifties. No more racing I guess but I'd rather go like that than in a rest home.
Likes For Ray9:
Old 07-23-19, 04:49 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9
As a Baby boomer
TL;DR: That pretty much sums it up.
Old 07-23-19, 04:49 PM
Ray9

Originally Posted by Skullo
It's hard for me to hear you as I leave you in the dust.
Likes For Ray9:
Old 07-23-19, 05:13 PM
big john

Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
It's hard for me to hear you as I leave you in the dust.
How do you know you could?
Old 07-23-19, 06:48 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Good for you Ray9 for the choices you made. Obviously it has been a great choice for you and others who have done the same. Interestingly some of my siblings had other obligations they considered more important than taking care of themselves. They chose to devote their time to improve the lives of others at the sacrifice of their own health. I admire them for that, and sometimes feel guilty because I’ve put the betterment of myself before some others, even my kids and close friends. And they don’t snort coke nor drink any alcohol to excess. It’s all about the choices we make.
Old 07-23-19, 07:05 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
How do you know you could?
Anyone so sanctimonious just must be real fast to keep ahead of those less worthy than he thinks he is.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-23-19, 07:14 PM
big john

Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Anyone so sanctimonious just must be real fast to keep ahead of those less worthy than he thinks he is.
There used to be a lot of that sort of posting on the road forum.
Old 07-23-19, 07:36 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Skullo
This
Old 07-23-19, 07:41 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
I care why you're so sanctimonious. I care that you're so sanctimonious. Obviously, however, you're stuck.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 07-23-19, 09:43 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
The OP appears to be pissed off at something or other, thus the bitter tone of much of what he says. As another poster responded, who cares why you ride, and , by the way, who cares about your politics? If you have something to say, I would suggest that you say it in a civil voice if you care to have people listen. But, of course, you are free to say what you like, how you like, but why the bitterness?
Likes For jackb:
Old 07-23-19, 10:31 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
I ride because it makes me smile.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 07-23-19, 11:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I ride my bike to ride my bike.
Old 07-24-19, 12:01 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 4,500 Times in 3,012 Posts
All I wanted was a Pepsi but she wouldn’t give it to me just a Pepsi just one Pepsi but she wouldn’t give it to me It doesn’t matter I’ll probably get hit by a car anyways
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-24-19, 06:31 AM
Ray9

Originally Posted by jackb
The OP appears to be pissed off at something or other, thus the bitter tone of much of what he says. As another poster responded, who cares why you ride, and , by the way, who cares about your politics? If you have something to say, I would suggest that you say it in a civil voice if you care to have people listen. But, of course, you are free to say what you like, how you like, but why the bitterness?
Don’t confuse bitterness with outright anger. I worked with a woman for years who was told to stop smoking or she would lose her leg. She told them to take the leg. She was a Boomer who benefited from medical research and never had to face Polio or a host of other bacterial infections eradicated by modern medicine. She thumbed her nose at the research and paid the fiddler with a leg. She’s long gone just like the husbands of three of my sisters-in-law who are alone in their golden years. I am here for my wife because I hit the road every day and log miles on the safest roads I can find. At 72 I still get butterflies in my stomach as I prepare for the adventure ahead.

If sanctimony is your observation then acquainting yourself with reality may be a policy you should follow. I’m not the judge for these people, they are blissfully suicidal. They learned nothing from those who went before them. I follow Darwin.
Old 07-24-19, 06:50 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Ever read the full title of his book?

"On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species

Cheap shot, I know. However, I do agree with your observations on people who refuse to take care of their own health, especially the ones who then expect other people to pay for every penny of their (often useless) medical procedures, which would have been easily avoidable had they exercised even a little bit of self-discipline.
Old 07-24-19, 07:19 AM
Ray9

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Ever read the full title of his book?

"On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species

Cheap shot, I know. However, I do agree with your observations on people who refuse to take care of their own health, especially the ones who then expect other people to pay for every penny of their (often useless) medical procedures, which would have been easily avoidable had they exercised even a little bit of self-discipline.
I‘ve proposed this before but here it is again: Double the price of a six-pack of beer, double the price of a pack of cigarettes and double whatever the going price of legalized marijuana will be. Use the massive monies collected to offset the damage done to society by providing a national program of funded insurance for the users of these products. The users would be paying at the pump and the relief they would get would greatly reduce their financial and physical suffering.

And forget about crying about discrimination against the poor. No one, rich or poor, has a right to poison themselves. They do however have a responsibility to pay their own way if they choose to use the poison.
Old 07-24-19, 07:25 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
A bit over dramatic and overwrought, but I guess everyone is entitled to his opinion.

I ride because it is fun.

It is really that simple.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 07-24-19, 07:30 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Meh, it's the old "there but for the grace of God go I" If you break your leg dancing you still have to pay the fiddler's bill. I agree with your last paragraph; anything can happen at any time. I'm hoping for an Eleanor Rigby funeral-to die in a church and be buried along with my name-nobody came. Nobody cane because I outlived everyone who ever really knew me. I don't care much about what other people think; I just do what I do.
If you truly do not care what others think, then why the long diatribe? People who truly couldn’t care less what others think don’t usually write about it. Just a thought.

Ride safely, enjoy the ride.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 07-24-19, 07:32 AM
Ray9

!994 Cannondale R800-still worth money with wheels I have on it.
2008 Cannondale Six-13-good rain bike.
2015 Cannondale Super Six-She's a beauty.
Old 07-24-19, 08:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Hmmm, Don't know if the initial post reads quite as the author intended. It does seem to have a little Khan Noonien Singh sentiment in it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.