Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Discover with custom tool trunk

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Schwinn Discover with custom tool trunk

Old 08-09-19, 12:40 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by JonBailey
Please provide more conventional approach to carrying spare tubes, tools, etc. on a bike that is as compact and elegant as possible. I'm thinking of designing a cleaner and more elegant mount for my taillight on the back of the box. My tool-toting solution is pretty cheap. I like a hard case for my tools anyway.
I use a Roadrunner Burrito bar bag. It holds a compact pump, a multitool, a small wallet that I carry on the bike, a Presta to Shrader adapter, a spare core, some aspirin, my iPhone and a some assorted snack nuts. The pump could be carried on the bracket that came with it to mount it beside the water bottle cage. That would free up enough space for an inner tube and patch kit for those who don't run tubeless. Without the iPhone there would be more room yet.

All of the same stuff was carried in a medium Topeak saddle bag, but since I live in the free state of Texas and can listen to headphones whilst riding, I now carry the iPhone at the front because Bluetooth reception wasn't so good in the saddle bag.

On a more utilitarian bike, though, I like the plastic tool box. If a guy was so inclined he could throw in a collapsible fishing rod and some tackle. If you catch a tasty bass you could always bungie it right on top of the toolbox!

-Matt
Old 08-09-19, 12:42 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
This what I use. I think it is obviously more compact and elegant. I have tube, CO2, patches, multi tool, spare quick links, cleat bolts, a short bit of derailleur cable, zip ties, $, a handy wipe, emergency electrolyte and GU. The bags are available in larger sizes if you really need to carry extra valve caps, etc.
The saddle bag mentioned in my post was the medium size version of the one shown. I own two. Nice saddle bag, worked great other than my Bluetooth signal wasn't so good when the iPhone was placed in the bag under the saddle.

-Matt
Old 08-09-19, 01:05 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
Please provide more conventional approach to carrying spare tubes, tools, etc. on a bike that is as compact and elegant as possible. I'm thinking of designing a cleaner and more elegant mount for my taillight on the back of the box. My tool-toting solution is pretty cheap. I like a hard case for my tools anyway.
As a few folks have pointed out, under-seat bags are pretty popular. I have two larger ones on my older bikes and a smaller one on my newer bike. I think the under-seat bags would still allow some room on the top of the rack to carry other items. There are a few hard shell ones out there. I think a bottle-cage tool kit would work well, but then you would need another bottle cage. You could get a top-bar bottle cage, or a handle bar mount cage, and either may work better to carry your bluetooth speaker since it would be mounted higher and more in front of your face.

There are also frame bags, but I haven't seen any hard-shell varieties.

You might also be able to mount the rear light at the back of the rack where the reflector is. Perhaps you could find a way to mount both. When riding at night or in rain, I clip a 2nd blinkie to the back of my helmet.

But it is YOUR bike, and I think you should do what appeals to you and fits your needs. You appear to be a clever and handy guy, so I'm sure when and if you feel the need to change your setup it will be clever and look good like your current setup.
Old 08-09-19, 04:05 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BobbyG
As a few folks have pointed out, under-seat bags are pretty popular. I have two larger ones on my older bikes and a smaller one on my newer bike. I think the under-seat bags would still allow some room on the top of the rack to carry other items. There are a few hard shell ones out there. I think a bottle-cage tool kit would work well, but then you would need another bottle cage. You could get a top-bar bottle cage, or a handle bar mount cage, and either may work better to carry your bluetooth speaker since it would be mounted higher and more in front of your face.

There are also frame bags, but I haven't seen any hard-shell varieties.

You might also be able to mount the rear light at the back of the rack where the reflector is. Perhaps you could find a way to mount both. When riding at night or in rain, I clip a 2nd blinkie to the back of my helmet.

But it is YOUR bike, and I think you should do what appeals to you and fits your needs. You appear to be a clever and handy guy, so I'm sure when and if you feel the need to change your setup it will be clever and look good like your current setup.
Update: I just spent the last 3 hours building a neat custom mount for my taillight that bolts to the tool box as shown. Made it out of piece of aluminum channel molding for electric wires I have. Should I paint it black or just leave it bare metal?

Likes For JonBailey:
Old 08-09-19, 07:24 PM
MattTheHat 

Update: I just spent the last 3 hours building a neat custom mount for my taillight that bolts to the tool box as shown. Made it out of piece of aluminum channel molding for electric wires I have. Should I paint it black or just leave it bare metal?

Looks easier to work with. You have other gray colored accents on the bike. I probably wouldn’t bother painting the aluminum channel black. I think it looks good!

-Matt
Old 08-11-19, 10:22 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
It may not be the most conventional approach, but you obviously put a lot of thought into it, and the execution is nice. I like posts like this. It sparks ideas and inspires projects. Thanks for sharing!

-------------------------

"I saw an armadillo riding a bike by 38th Street
Pedallin' through the street by McMahon Park
He was lookin' for a place called Mutti's German Restaurant
Gonna get a big dish of Rinderroulade

Aaoooo!
Armadillos of Lawton
Aaooo!"
The invention of the automobile was not a conventional approach in 1875 either.
Many horse traders must have wanted to lynch Henry Ford.

I practice American ingenuity on a budget.

It's also gotta work but not look too shabby to boot.
Old 08-11-19, 10:32 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I will say that it's not something I'm ever likely to do myself, but your installation looks good. Better than duct-taping a cardboard box to your rack.

I actually did something similar to our popup camper. On the hitch, next to the battery box, I installed a small plastic toolbox I bought cheap in order to hold bungees, gorilla tape, and a few other odds & ends. But rather than zip tie it, I drilled holes in the bottom of the toolbox and bolted it to the hitch.
My latest update to my tool box will to have a wooden board mounted on top of the existing metal rear carrier to make a flatbed.
Then the tool box will be bolted down on top of the board. The board is to be painted black. Stay tuned.

I've decided that zip tying the box to the carrier looks shoddy. I need a way to fairly easily remove the tool box
to wash the bike at a coin-operated car wash about every couple months. The toolbox is not exactly water-tight
under car wash hose pressure.

I don't want to drill holes in the original carrier to preserve the bike's value.
Old 08-11-19, 10:35 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Well, when I first responded this was in general cycling, but only about half of your post has anything to do with the bike, the rest is about Lawton, dead animals, bumps, headphones, police and a bunch of other stuff. I had no idea we were supposed to be focusing on some bike adaptations. Also, the photo wasn't attached to the OP when I responded.

Looks swell. Mazel tov.

Please learn to write. Paragraph breaks and topic sentences might be a good place to start.
The other stuff about the "headset police" was to explain the addition and reason for the double water cages and the Bluetooth speaker. Sometimes redneck hick anti-bicycle police forces force bicycle riders to have to make special equipment accommodations. I had to explain the crappy roads in my town to justify the custom wheels that were added for strength. All my adaptations are functional, not for show.

Lawton, Oklahoma is very rough place for cycling. Quite bicycle unfriendly.

So, some American ingenuity is often needed as a workaround.

We don't need the grammar police here.
Old 08-11-19, 10:51 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I carry what I need in a small underseat bag, but some times it would be nice to have a bit more storage room. With that tool box, you should have enough room for tools, spare tubes, your wallet, and a sandwich.

Personally, though, if I were to do that, instead of zip tying and bungee'ing the taillight as it is, I'd have somehow just bolted it to the side of the toolbox which would make it easier to open the lid.
There is no more room in my tool box for a sandwich or anything else but repair equipment. It's packed to the hilt. It's smaller than it looks.

Inside my box I have:

1. two bungee cords: I can strap my balled-up jacket over the the top of the box if I get too hot during the ride
2. combination 15 mm wrench, for tightening pedals and for rear wheel removal
3. Bell multi-tool in a pouch, does not provide enough torque to break wheel lock nuts loose
4. spare inner tube with Slime already in it
5. spare rim liner
6. spare valve caps
7. valve stem tool
8. tire lever
9. needle-nose pliers
10. cable end caps
11. 3 plastic store bags, folded up, protects seat and hand grips from dirt when bike is turned over for repairs on the road
12. latex gloves, one time I had to fix a flat tire with goose crap all over it
13. C02 inflator if I'm in a hurry or too lazy to pump the tire up by hand
14. hand pump, in case CO2 inflator fails
15. two extra CO2 cartridges
16. rag to wipe things clean
17. tire patches
18. spare batteries for lights
19. removable tray that came with the box

Additionally, I have a fanny pack to carry:

1. my wallet
2. my keys
3. medications, asthma inhaler
4. toilet paper
5. phone
6. pen
7. bike cable lock coiled up tight

Last edited by JonBailey; 08-11-19 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 04:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
The other stuff about the "headset police" was to explain the addition and reason for the double water cages and the Bluetooth speaker. Sometimes redneck hick anti-bicycle police forces force bicycle riders to have to make special equipment accommodations. I had to explain the crappy roads in my town to justify the custom wheels that were added for strength. All my adaptations are functional, not for show.

Lawton, Oklahoma is very rough place for cycling. Quite bicycle unfriendly.

So, some American ingenuity is often needed as a workaround.

We don't need the grammar police here.
You get criticism about your writing when you tell someone "learn how to read."

I'm going to play nice and suggest a decent looking inexpensive addition I have found useful on a few bikes, and I use it to carry my phone, a power supply and a folding lock. In the past, I've used it for wallets and keys with my phone. One nice thing about it is it becomes quite inconspicuous on a black bike:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-12-19, 05:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,388 Times in 2,733 Posts
Sometimes redneck hick anti-bicycle police forces force bicycle riders to have to make special equipment accommodations. I had to explain the crappy roads in my town to justify the custom wheels that were added for strength.
This story might deserve a thread of it's own! Never had police ask me about my wheels or any other part of my bike.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-13-19, 12:09 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
This story might deserve a thread of it's own! Never had police ask me about my wheels or any other part of my bike.
The cops never said anything about my wheels either. They did say something about the music headset over my ears one morning last week. Hence the NEED for an extra bottle cage and the music speaker to go in it. The rough roads of my home town dictated the sturdier wheels. Lawton is full of nasty things that result in my needs to dump more time, work and money into my bike. This is no town for a woosy city ten-speed with spaghetti-thin tires like the Schwinn Varsity of old. This is a hard-core mountain bike town even on the streets which look and feel long over due for new asphalt.
Old 08-13-19, 12:28 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
This is a Hell-Hole?
City of Lawton OK Community Video

https://www.elocallink.tv/m/v/player...8_qol_rev2_iwd
Old 08-13-19, 12:45 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Although almost literally everything OP ever says is demonstrably false, 20 years ago when I was in AIT Lawton was not a great town. But then again, literally every Army town is kind of crappy.

I heard a few months after I completed training and left the area that they got a new mayor who ran all the strip clubs and "massage parlors" outside the city limits.

I'm sure there's not much bike infrastructure but also it's a town of 100,000 people so you probably can actually bike in it with a little fortitude. I'm guessing OP is an unreliable narrator.
Old 08-13-19, 05:39 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Although almost literally everything OP ever says is demonstrably false, 20 years ago when I was in AIT Lawton was not a great town. But then again, literally every Army town is kind of crappy.

I heard a few months after I completed training and left the area that they got a new mayor who ran all the strip clubs and "massage parlors" outside the city limits.

I'm sure there's not much bike infrastructure but also it's a town of 100,000 people so you probably can actually bike in it with a little fortitude. I'm guessing OP is an unreliable narrator.
It sounds like I'm being called a liar here.

People, you have to remember I was a soldier here at Fort Sill from fall 1989 through January 1991 at a Lance missile unit there. I was reassigned to Fort Ord, California that month. It was in the dawn of the Persian Gulf War era. Stormin' Norman/Bush Sr./pre-Slick Willy/Billary Clinton days. I don't what happened to Lawton between that time and May of this year when I moved back in as a civilian. I lived on post at the barracks, not in town on the local economy. Most of the business people in this town I dealt with then THEN were friendly, even the taxi drivers. I even bought a shiny new 1990 Oldsmobile here while at Sill and the dealership did me righteously. The Whataburgers then were clean inside. The stores were clean inside. Lawton was never a glamorous town but it looked modestly decent and its people were decent in 1990. Most of the people here in 1990 did not speak with southern drawls, at least not the local businesses I dealt with here including Dr. Nolan, an optometrist, the Olds dealership, pawnshops, car wash operators and local grocery stores and gas stations. The streets were even much smoother in 1990. I don't know what happened between January of 1991 through May of 2019 to make Lawton the total HOOD that it is today. My impression of the town was good in 1990. I was totally surprised coming back to see the dishevelment that has happened since. The Walmart on Sheridan is a total pigsty. They don't seem to hire janitors. I will have to telephone Walmart corporate real soon and complain about the store. The "store manager" there I spoke to looks like a total BEARDED punk. He looked at me like I was stupid for saying the men's room needed attention. I emailed the mayor's office when I moved here to complain about the crappy streets but still have gotten no reply. That's one mayor who will not be getting my vote should he be an incumbent in the next election. I will vote solid Democrat from the city level up to the state level in Oklahoma.

Last edited by JonBailey; 08-13-19 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-17-19, 07:43 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
This is a Hell-Hole?
City of Lawton OK Community Video

https://www.elocallink.tv/m/v/player...8_qol_rev2_iwd
Marketing and mayor's office spin!

I looked at those videos and it looks like they show the same single neighborhood and park in every one.

I can't fault the Lawton Chamber of Commerce, though. The city I live in has great, average, and really bad parts of town. Only the great parts of town make the officially endorsed videos.
Old 08-18-19, 04:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,388 Times in 2,733 Posts
So the strip clubs are too far away to cycle? Bummer!