Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Daughter Self Supported Tour

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-20-19, 12:33 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts

My daughter has this crazy idea of doing a cross country self supported tour by herself. I have tried to talk some sense into her, but she is as stubborn as a horse. The only thing I could come up with to ensure some semblance of safety is to use routes provided by Adventure cycling as they are known to be cyclist friendly. Not a guarantee of avoiding trouble, especially as a single 25 year old female. Any ideas on safe routes or something like that?
Old 08-20-19, 02:23 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
No specific ideas on safe routes -- will leave that to American contributors with practical local experience.

Just this....

A woman traveling alone without a motor vehicle to lock herself into and blend into the background with, and no "buddy" to watch out for each other -- wow. I'm sure she knows how to be safe but as her dad I wouldn't sleep the whole time. On a 5-day solo trip in Canada's eastern provinces I did meet a young woman at a coffee shop who was coming the other way from Vancouver, and she was almost finished. She'd come from Montreal alone and I think even large chunks of the trip before that were alone, also. I gather she had outlasted a few intermittent male companions who ended up bailing. She didn't look tough or scary (or scared) or anything other than a straightforward sensible young person. I was 50 at the time, and diffident about approaching her to chat, wanting to respect her privacy, but she was quite open to a brief exchange of small talk and route rap before we both had to be off. One eye always on the sun, you know. She didn't volunteer any bad experiences, not that I would have expected her to share vulnerability with a stranger.

The daughter of a friend of mine rode across Canada in company with her female life partner a few years ago. Other than finding themselves sometimes on busy roads with aggressive traffic and no alternative route, they had no scary experiences or even any unwanted discomfiting attention that they saw fit to talk about as being beyond the ordinary crap that women learn they have to deal with. Whether they had more of this on their trip, or less of it, than in their regular "civilian" lives as university students I do not know. They blogged their trip but I cannot find it.

Has your daughter seen this blog site? Solo Female Cycling Around the World: WOW (Women On Wheels)

The hard part of unsupported solo touring is all the stuff you have to carry on one bike, especially if you are camping. You work hard, really hard. Hoteling it across the continent is prohibitively expensive and in many depopulating rural areas of Canada and the U.S., there may not be any commercial roofs to sleep under anyway...and no cellular service. I can also tell you (and her) that it can be achingly lonely, especially if you are married, which is why I don't do it any more.

As a father, I would make sure she knew that if she found herself out of her depth and wanted to come home, you would pay whatever you could afford to get her on the next bus, plane, train or taxi.
Old 08-20-19, 02:37 PM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
My daughter has this crazy idea of doing a cross country self supported tour by herself. I have tried to talk some sense into her, but she is as stubborn as a horse. The only thing I could come up with to ensure some semblance of safety is to use routes provided by Adventure cycling as they are known to be cyclist friendly. Not a guarantee of avoiding trouble, especially as a single 25 year old female. Any ideas on safe routes or something like that?

I'm sorry, but describing a solo self supported cross country bike tour as "crazy" in the bike touring forum is an ..... interesting tack to take.

When you say avoiding trouble, do you have specific "trouble" you are thinking of? Are you worried about traffic? Or something else?

When you use the phrase "some semblance of safety" I can't help but think that the fears are yours, not your daughter's.

There's no shortage of solo women doing tours. CGOAB has a category devoted to it; https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...octype=journal

I can't give any advice on routes, but I can offer advice to talk to your daughter, explain the potential dangers as you see them, then do everything you can to support her.

If traffic is really the worry, send her to Europe. Loads of traffic free touring here.
Likes For HobbesOnTour:
Old 08-20-19, 02:46 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I did a five week tour in the Canadian Maritimes in June and part of July this year. I saw more solo women bicyclists than I saw any other solo or group riders.

Give her a small bottle of bear spray, a belt holster for it, and tell her to have a great time.
Old 08-20-19, 02:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by HobbesOnTour

There's no shortage of solo women doing tours.
+1. I've met several solo women who were crossing the U.S. both on ACA routes as well in other places. Heard of plenty more.

If she were to start on ACA's TransAmerica route in VA in Mid-May she would likely end up riding and/or camping with others doing the same. One night in MT back in 2014 I camped with close to a dozen people who were riding the TA east to west. Aside from maybe 3 or 4 couples, they were all solo riders.

Crossing PA in 2013 I met a Swiss woman in her late 20s or early 30s riding across the U.S. east to west.

Just finished a tour in Missoula back in June. Stopped by ACA's headquarters. Met a woman who looked to be in her late 30s or early 40s riding across the country solo.
Old 08-20-19, 03:30 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
When I starting reading the OP I was thinking 'she must be 16' then I came to the bit where he says she's 25. The woman's an adult !!!!!
Old 08-20-19, 03:52 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
These responses are wonderfully heartening. Above all else, be sure to tell her to have a great time.
Old 08-20-19, 05:10 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
You are being too protective, don't worry about her, she'll be fine.
Likes For Brian25:
Old 08-20-19, 06:39 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
I constantly meet solo women travelers. My wife is one of them. Only once have I heard a scary story from a woman who called law enforcement because of some verbal harassment. She was resourceful and solved the problem. I agree, don't worry and be supportive.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 08-20-19, 06:55 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
I am supportive, however I know girls who have been *****, harassed and accosted, and don't want my girl to experience that kind of horror. Not over protective, but realistic. It's a mad, mad, mad world.

I may provide a sidearm to make me feel better about it. I did teach her some basic knife fighting skills, and she is not afraid of defending herself as she participates in "Israeli" fighting instruction at a dojo of some kind. Should something happen to her, I will go to prison, and I don't want that, either.
Old 08-20-19, 08:14 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I think your concerns are well-based, it is a scary world out there. I'd just advise her to go well around any big cities, at least within reason. When there's no choice but to go through a bad neighborhood, make sure to go during daylight hours (not dusk, lol), and don't trust anyone, especially for directions. Remember the movie, "Vacation"? 😁😉
Old 08-20-19, 09:16 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
I think your concerns are well-based, it is a scary world out there. I'd just advise her to go well around any big cities, at least within reason. When there's no choice but to go through a bad neighborhood, make sure to go during daylight hours (not dusk, lol), and don't trust anyone, especially for directions. Remember the movie, "Vacation"? 😁😉
Good advice. I've run into many solo female travelers over the years and none of them ever had a horror stories to share - yet it's good to be prepared and ride smart.

Old 08-20-19, 09:40 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
https://www.universewithme.com/
favorite journal I like to read
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/..._id=9722&v=6yt

Need to go outside,

Old 08-20-19, 09:49 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Need to go outside, what if she makes you stay home, dady?
Old 08-21-19, 12:49 AM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Not over protective, but realistic. It's a mad, mad, mad world.
I can't agree with it's a mad, mad, mad world - most especially not from the saddle of a bike. I don't know when was the last time you went on tour for more than a few days away from home, but the world is, generally, a warm, friendly and welcoming place. My experience of touring away from home backs this up. Of course, the right frame of mind certainly helps.

I may provide a sidearm to make me feel better about it.
Two things; That will require a lot of compliance with different state/local laws? Better make sure she knows them all - and doesn't get lost!
Second of all - to make you feel better?

Isn't this really about you and your fears? Maybe you should be looking for ways of dealing with those rather than transferring them to her. Awareness is one thing, fear is another.

I know girls who have been *****, harassed and accosted, and don't want my girl to experience that kind of horror......
I did teach her some basic knife fighting skills, and she is not afraid of defending herself as she participates in "Israeli" fighting instruction at a dojo of some kind.
Do you really think that you know more than her about the risks that she will be exposed to? Did you drop her on her head several times when she was a kid?? Seriously, any 25 year old woman knows far, far more about the risks she can be exposed to than her father - no matter how good the relationship is.

Not stalking you, but here's your quote from the Feelings heading off on tour thread;
Summer of 1977, year before graduation from high school. Excited, really, really excited! Jubilant, happy, excited! Will never forget that feeling, and have experienced it with my cross country motorcycle trip, first foreign country visit, fist child, etc. Nothing can compare to that wonderful feeling of adventure!
Do you want to deny your daughter the same?

Honestly, a cross country trip for a 25 year old could be the making of them! How I wish I had done a big tour at that age! Young enough and flexible enough to give it a good go, old enough to appreciate the journey and experience.
It could also be a great growing moment for their father.

Why not invite her to post here and let people help her achieve her goal?
Likes For HobbesOnTour:
Old 08-21-19, 03:39 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Congratulations!! Your love of cycling has successfully rubbed off on her.

Go with her!
Old 08-21-19, 04:53 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I have met quite a few young women on the road who were doing exactly what your daughter proposes. Life is a risky proposition for everyone and more so for young women, but this isn't that crazy of a thing to do. Prepare her as best you can and try not to worry. If it was my daughter I'd recommend that she consider riding with a small group of friends or hook up with a small group that was previously strangers either in advance or on the road.

The Trans America is a great route for seeing the US and for riding across it. It also offers the possibility of riding and or camping with others a lot or even all of the time if desired. Being a popular route offers the chance of meeting others in an impromptu fashion and then riding with them. It also offers the chance to meet others online in forums (here, crazyguyonabike, adventure cycling) in advance. I know we made friends on the TA that we camped with some of the time although we chose to ride at our own pace so it was spotty when we ran into them. On another tour I rode with a young guy most of the time because his mother insisted he ride with someone, so he made a big effort to stay in sync with me even when he had mechanical problems that stalled him a couple days and had to do big mileage to catch up.

Riding with others is a real possibility and not that hard to arrange if she isn't dead set on riding alone. She may wind up splitting with whoever she starts with, it happens frequently, but she may also start out alone and fall in with others for some or even most of the trip, that happens too.

Practicing good situational awareness is important especially if she travels alone, but also in any case.

I may provide a sidearm to make me feel better about it
Not sure what state you live in, but she'd need to get a carry permit in her home state and study the reciprocity and other rules for the states she'd travel through. I wouldn't consider carrying without following the appropriate laws, otherwise she'd risk becoming a felon.

Having a side arm on tour even legally has some problems associated with it. What do you do when you go somewhere that it is illegal to take a sidearm? That includes all federal buildings, post offices, national park buildings, national forest offices, and so on. Leaving it with your bike seems like a bad idea to me. What do you do when someone offers hospitality. I'd feel obligated to tell someone I was bringing a side arm into their home if I stayed the night. On the TA it was nice to stay with folks now and then and it isn't the greatest ice breaker. I guess she wouldn't have to say anything, but I wouldn't feel right about it especially if they had kids.

Also the effectiveness of a side arm is questionable as well since it needs to be accessible and ready enough to do any good. Not that easily accomplished at all the times you might need it.

My advice is definitely don't do it illegally, and give it a lot of thought before considering doing it legally.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 08-21-19, 05:15 AM
indyfabz

And what happens when the bad guy takes her sidearm from her?

BTW..."Bad neighborhoods" and bad people are not limited to big cities, especially with the spread of drugs to "middle" America. One early morning a few years ago I had to chase a tweeker out of the Bike Camp in tiny Twin Bridges, MT. Later that morning a member of the Sheriff's department who had gotten a cal from a resident came around asking us if we had seen him. The lack of police presence in many rural areas adds to things. While in Edgemont, SD, at the end of the Mickelson Trail, I was talking with a Nebraska resident who was camping there. He told me people in the town can get away with just about anything they want due the lack of law enforcement. And as have mentioned before, the only place anyone tried to steal anything from me was in DuBois, WY. Not exactly on the scale of NYC.

With that said, I agree with Hobbes' first point above.
Old 08-21-19, 05:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I may provide a sidearm to make me feel better about it.....
That is why I suggested you give her a can of bear spray.

In 2014 I did the Pacific Coast from Astoria to San Fransisco, I met a gal in one of the campgrounds that was on year seven of her long tour. She started out in S Africa, rode up to and through Europe, then rode through Asia, down to Australia, back up into Asia and China, then Japan, crossed the Pacific to Canada, and when I met her she was headed south along the coast. Her bike frame had so many location stickers on it that I could not tell what kind of bike it was. One of her pairs of Ortliebs were original from the start of the trip, but she had replaced almost everything else, some components had been replaced several times.

Old 08-21-19, 05:48 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
nice to see some calm responses from other Americans regarding the realities of a firearm. As a Canadian this is a completely foreign topic and frankly one I would never have even thought of.

but lets talk about traveling in general.

As a dad to a daughter, and someone who has traveled on my own in N America, Europe and Latin America, I feel the most important thing to have as a traveler is the whole "situational awareness/people evaluating" skillset.
Sure, we develop this the more we travel, but the core stuff of being very observational at all times for reading both people and traffic situations, and having the proper gut instinct of what isnt right , or too dangerous, is the key thing.
No internet blah blah will give this, and from my experience with people in my life, some people just dont have it, or should I say, are more unaware of stuff that they should be aware of, and or react in the wrong way to stuff that they dont need to react to.

but again, yes as a dad who could very well worry if my daughter told me she was going to do this, I get it.
Personally doing a long trip like this on my own would get rather lonely, and while I have done trips on my own, I have often met and traveled along with other tourers, but on such a spread out trip, maybe the chances are less--although for sure following the established route by that american cycling association, and starting roughly the time most people do, the chances are a lot more of meeting folks.

interesting topic though, and as someone else said, she is 25, not 16, so she does have a good amount of real life adult woman life experience.
When I look back at when I had motorcycles, and or headed off on other trips on my own, I know that my parents knew that I was responsible, planned and thought about all kinds of stuff, and had a good head on my shoulders for being aware of "stuff".

I wish her the best on planning and doing this adventure. As your (and all of our) younger selves know, these adventures before having restraining jobs and maybe a family, were pretty big important parts of our lives.
Old 08-21-19, 06:19 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by djb
nice to see some calm responses from other Americans regarding the realities of a firearm. As a Canadian this is a completely foreign topic and frankly one I would never have even thought of.
I suspect most tourists here in the US don't think of it either. I know that I never have even though I have a concealed carry permit and could legally do so. the only reason the topic ocurres to me is because others bring it up.

Personally doing a long trip like this on my own would get rather lonely, and while I have done trips on my own, I have often met and traveled along with other tourers, but on such a spread out trip, maybe the chances are less--although for sure following the established route by that american cycling association, and starting roughly the time most people do, the chances are a lot more of meeting folks.
Yes, since there is one route that is kind of iconic (Trans America) and a one other major route (NT) with some variations to both it helps a lot. Obviously there is the possibility to do your own route, but as I said the Trans America is kind of iconic. Add to that there is a fairly limited range of optimum times of year to do them in either direction. That makes for a pleasant number of companions on the road. Few enough that you still can feel plenty of solitude, but enough that you can meet others to talk to, ride with, or camp with if you choose to.

It is helpful to choose a popular start time for your direction of travel if you want company. There still won't be as many companions as say on the Pacific Coast in season, but enough that you have options.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If you must carry something, that has a big advantage in accessibility. It is easier/legal to keep in plain sight at least in most places, but check laws as they may vary.

Last edited by staehpj1; 08-21-19 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-21-19, 06:50 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Not to get off topic, but this morning I saw a Facebook post by Glacier N.P. informing that Rising Sun Campground, for at least the time being, is not allowing soft-sided camping, including tent camping. Black bear came into camp and clawed at a shook a tent and stuck his head in the vestibule. The tent was unoccupied and there was no food inside.
Old 08-21-19, 06:58 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Not to get off topic, but this morning I saw a Facebook post by Glacier N.P. informing that Rising Sun Campground, for at least the time being, is not allowing soft-sided camping, including tent camping. Black bear came into camp and clawed at a shook a tent and stuck his head in the vestibule. The tent was unoccupied and there was no food inside.
Poor bear will be trapped and relocated at best, killed at worst. Likely the victim of human feeding or poor food handling.

Sometimes I think my cowboy camping or hoop-less bivy which is pretty much just a sleeping bag cover might actually be safer in bear country since the bears plainly see me as a human being. I don't guess the park folks would allow my "no-sided" camping with their soft-sided ban though
Old 08-21-19, 07:20 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Poor bear will be trapped and relocated at best, killed at worst. Likely the victim of human feeding or poor food handling.
IKR. In cases of B&E with no attacks on humans, they usually give them at least one chance. Several years ago the decision was made to kill one that broken into cars twice to get at food left in plain sight. After the first incident they tried relocation, but he came back and did it again. Sad.
Old 08-21-19, 07:26 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Sometimes I think my cowboy camping or hoop-less bivy which is pretty much just a sleeping bag cover might actually be safer in bear country since the bears plainly see me as a human being. I don't guess the park folks would allow my "no-sided" camping with their soft-sided ban though
You'd just look like a giant Burrito instead of a Burrito in a lunch bag...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.