Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Utility Rides/Trips/hauls/errands did you do today???

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

What Utility Rides/Trips/hauls/errands did you do today???

Old 09-14-09, 10:14 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,739 Times in 1,498 Posts
typical weekend...... trips to farmers market, yogurt, Jamba Juice (sick kid request), Peets coffee

5 trips of a little more than 2 miles each (the cyclometer is acting up so total is ??? )

to repeat my koan, rant, manifesto: This is the type of utility cycling we should encourage friends, family, co worrkers, etc. to do. Max simplicity and max benefit. This is utility cyclying for the masses....no need for a trailer, an long tail, etc. Actually all of these trips could have be done by simply slinging a bag over the handle bars, but a simple front basket (cute one for those that car) would have worked and my wald folding did greate

Old 09-14-09, 10:33 AM
corkscrew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Took the longtail to the hardware store yesterday for some painting supplies, and then onward to the grocery store for two weeks of foodstuffs.
Old 09-17-09, 06:59 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
A nice day. A long day. Suffer through my long post or skip over it.

As I headed towards what turned out to be my last pick, "5 or 6" boxes from 15th street to Union Station, I messaged base that it should be a rush. This was a technicality, the ticket indicated that the job would be ready for pickup at 4:30 and should be picked up no later than 5:30. Regular service for a car job downtown only promises 2 hour delivery time, which almost but not quite would require a pick up within one hour of scheduled pick-up time. I tell too many tales out of school, eat this message after reading it. Our services aren't cheap, but if you want better than regular service, you should pay a little more.

When I got there it was 4:45 and the eleven boxes were marked "drop by 5:30". Wait a minute, you told us pick by 5:30 not drop by 5:30, you did not request rush delivery, you said 6 boxes. This should have been a hatchback charge as the load would not fit in some cars, and I probably should have charged loading time, two full handtrucks with a labyrinthian end game, but I left it as a car job and I did not add a time surcharge. We did have to upgrade it to a double rush. I had another job to Union Station on my itinerary which I had to give up, which is why this turned out to be my last pick.

I made it with plenty of time to spare, but I was a little too amped up to stop for pictures. Picture in your head a big load 250lb with a hastily placed tarp over it. Suffice to say, if the off and on drizzle we had today had changed to rain during that trip, I might be looking for a new job tomorrow.

Bikestation on the west end of Union Station looks to be coming together nicely. They will have showers, lockers, bike storage. I don't consider bicycling an activity that requires showering afterwards unless you rode through poison ivy, and I can't really visualize all the bikes parked at Union Station fitting in here, but it's looking like a pretty cool addition to our city and if it increases bicycling, that's good.
Old 09-18-09, 03:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by qmsdc15
A nice day. A long day. Suffer through my long post or skip over it.

Bikestation on the west end of Union Station looks to be coming together nicely. They will have showers, lockers, bike storage. I don't consider bicycling an activity that requires showering afterwards unless you rode through poison ivy, and I can't really visualize all the bikes parked at Union Station fitting in here, but it's looking like a pretty cool addition to our city and if it increases bicycling, that's good.
the bike station looks cool any way.

Out of curiosity...what is your average mileage (although pounds per mile may be a better measure ) ?

Old 09-18-09, 04:25 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I don't know, probably only 20 to 30 miles including my commute which is about 9 miles roundtrip. I haven't used a bike computer since back in the late 20th century. It's nice to have the stats, but I broke the few I tried to use. I lock up too often and inevitably snag the wire with my lock or smash the unit on a parking meter. I can't have anything nice because I'll only break it.

I'm going to try and install a GPS tracking app to my Windows Mobile device, so I can see where I went each day and how far.
Old 09-18-09, 05:47 PM
eggnoggbubble

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat (size 54 - I'm 5'11"), Surly Pugsley Ops (tires:JJ4.0)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
wow, if your mileage is really that low then that really shows up how a car is way overkill to do the same job. You may be underestimating tho - I attached my computer to my mundo last week, and I've been surprised to find how far i was travelling - trips I thought were about 6km turned out to be nearly 10 etc. I think the ease of the bike dupes us into thinking it isnt that far. There's an important lesson there for many people who drive shortish trips because they think its too far to cycle.

On a related note, I did a 40km round trip out into the country on my mundo last week, just to see what would happen. Took nearly 3 hours (not counting a nap on the beach at the furthest point) cycling at a leisurely pace - proving (to me at least) that the mundo is fine for longer distances so long as you are enjoying the scenery and not trying to race.

keep pedalling!
Old 09-18-09, 06:35 PM
squirtdad

a cheapo wireless like this might work out https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...00_20000_54004

but I'm a metrics kind of guy..... don't turn me loose with excel

Old 09-28-09, 09:41 AM
squirtdad

Typical weekend....farmers market with son, stop to watch local parade. Trip to get yogurt for my wife. Last week rode to son's school at lunch to help with hot lunch (He and I commuted that day)

Old 09-28-09, 01:01 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Boxes containing banners for Ford's Theatre, on top of some other stuff. Ford's Theatre has offices across the street which is why I'm parked on this side of the street, in front of the house that Lincoln died in. The historic theatre is in the background. Lincoln was moved to a house across the street from the theatre after he was shot.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 09-28-09 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 07:54 AM
bigshew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always enjoy your pics of DC, qmsdc15. Thanks for continuing to post 'em. Got a ? about this last pic. Is that a permanent cage around the maple tree? Does DC have a giant beaver problem?
Old 09-29-09, 06:03 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks, bigshew. The tree that stood there before had to be removed because it's trunk was covered with used chewing gum. Youngsters on field trip to DC, worse than beavers. If you like my pictures, check out the thread titled K street traffic in the southeast regional forum.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 09-29-09 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 06:14 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Maps in late day sunlight reflected from a building across the street. The sun is actually on the other side of this hotel. Put on new freewheel and chain this morning. Shiny!
Old 10-02-09, 02:25 PM
jasonsstover

Bikes: Seven Odonata, Trek beach cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shake down run of the new Burley Tailwaggin. Took the pooch for a ride then loaded up on the week's groceries.
Old 10-02-09, 03:48 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by jasonsstover
Burley Tailwaggin. Took the pooch for a ride
oh the PUNishment........ +1

Old 10-04-09, 09:07 PM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was a run to th' Costco, 15 miles round trip. Not as bulky as I've done before but lots of heavy liquids. Mostly cleaners and such to get the mud room ready to hold veges for winter. Plus some beef for stews and sundry foodstuffs. Yesterday it was a run to the local farmer's market where the best of the Mat-Su veges are getting sold off before the snow comes. Look at those purple vikings and yellow finns!

Old 10-05-09, 11:25 AM
squirtdad

Ah the weekend....farmers market...almost the end of nectarines..... two trips to the hardware store... typical simple "honey do" proejct that went awry

Old 10-05-09, 07:25 PM
dzrthauler
I can - therefore, I do..

Bikes: '84 Motocruiser, '10 KHS TR 101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Normal leisurely trip w/my wife to the Post Office and quick stop in at discount market in late afternoon - round trip = 10.7 mi. - cargo: 15 lbs. of canine; 3 letters ; 1 catalog and 1 bag of tortilla chips. This trip is always one of my favorite errands and rides through the 'hood. life=good!
Old 10-06-09, 04:27 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I ruined the cupcakes.
Old 10-08-09, 01:29 PM
dzrthauler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry to hear that... more importantly...did you salvage any of them for personal use?? (btw... I have trailer envy... big time!!)
Old 10-08-09, 02:08 PM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Made a run to the bookstore during lunch -- on my road bike.

Does that count?
Old 10-08-09, 02:40 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by SlimAgainSoon
Made a run to the bookstore during lunch -- on my road bike.

Does that count?
Onlly if it was a good book of course that counts

Old 10-08-09, 04:56 PM
dzrthauler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Daily run to the P.O. in the books, cargo: 15 lbs. of canine and some bills I tried to lose on the way home - 11.35mi. logged.
Old 10-09-09, 04:32 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dzrthauler
Sorry to hear that... more importantly...did you salvage any of them for personal use?? (btw... I have trailer envy... big time!!)
I didn't know they were messed up when I delivered them, but I got a call later saying I had "demolished" them. I might get charged for the damages and I didn't get any cake. Good luck on your trailer. It looks like you will have something similar to mine when you're done.
Old 10-15-09, 04:58 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cold rain all day. Ten cases of wine was my biggest load.
Old 10-15-09, 06:39 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
gmsdc15,

Thanks for posting pictures. D.C. is my old stomping ground and your photos make me a bit "homesick." I don't miss the traffic, but I miss the activities the city has to offer as well as friends back there. I like the bike station, it looks cool. I gave up riding on the streets in D.C. because of the traffic congestion and began riding the various bike trails there. Where I've retired, I can ride the roads. It's a rural area in the middle of a huge national forest and there aren't as many drivers and the ones on the road here aren't as stressed out or in a rush.

Today I road into town to the health food store. I have a trailer, but didn't use it. Just picked up a few things that fit nicely in the panniers. The only problem with the little town I live near is that there just aren't any bike racks and it can be difficult to find anything to lock your bike to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.