Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can anyone ID this 80's Track frame please?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-13, 10:23 AM
PitstonePedaler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I wonder if anyone can name the frame! I am really struggling to ID this ever since I bought it. I have used the same bars and stem but changed the grouppo over to Miche Primato (C2004). The saddle is a 2005 Ltd Brooks Swallow.

At time of purchase, the bike was equipped with Campag record Hubs; Rear being a Route Super Champion Competition, high flange (with 1969 UK National Track Championship scrutineers sticker, not original to the frame which is some 20 years younger I think), the front a Fiamme Red Label, low flange.

I do not have any idea of the BB beyond it being a Campagnolo version marked with Dims only. I guess ITA thread? The cranks are/were by Williams. The stem is a 1" quill with Cinelli alloy bars.

I am really keen to ID the frame though. I am about to restore it and would like to know who the frame builder was/is. It has a hole for a break boss at the rear (could have been drilled any time), but otherwise dimensionally is a track bike; 11" floor to BB etc.

Can anyone please help in ID'ing the frame or point me in the right direction from the photos below? There are no serial markings at all anywhere on the frame...

Thanks for reading

Old 01-20-13, 10:34 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Hello Welcome to the forums. Where are you and the bike? Knowing if the bike is in the US or Europe would be helpful.

""At time of purchase, the bike was equipped with Campag record Hubs; Rear being a Route Super Champion Competition, high flange (with 1969 UK National Track Championship scrutineers sticker, not original to the frame which is some 20 years younger I think), the front a Fiamme Red Label, low flange.""

Do you mean the hubs were Campagnolo, the rear one being high flange with a Super Champion Competition rim? If all that super champion stuff was written on the hub shell it likley wasn't CampI.

You mid '90s BB looks like english threading to me, doesit 1.37x24 stamped on it? Italian would be 36x24.

If this is in the US my guess was this poor thing used to be a Fuji simply because they likely had more track frames here in the late '80s than anyone else escept maybe Bianchi. The English BB and 26. whatever leads me to think this is Japanese origin.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-20-13, 10:41 AM
PitstonePedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Hello Welcome to the forums. Where are you and the bike? Knowing if the bike is in the US or Europe would be helpful.

""At time of purchase, the bike was equipped with Campag record Hubs; Rear being a Route Super Champion Competition, high flange (with 1969 UK National Track Championship scrutineers sticker, not original to the frame which is some 20 years younger I think), the front a Fiamme Red Label, low flange.""

Do you mean the hubs were Campagnolo, the rear one being high flange with a Super Champion Competition rim? If all that super champion stuff was written on the hub shell it likley wasn't CampI.

You mid '90s BB looks like english threading to me, doesit 1.37x24 stamped on it? Italian would be 36x24.

If this is in the US my guess was this poor thing used to be a Fuji simply because they likely had more track frames here in the late '80s than anyone else escept maybe Bianchi. The English BB and 26. whatever leads me to think this is Japanese origin.
Hi, Thanks for the reply. Yes the Super Champion are the rims, the hubs are definitely campy. I'm pretty sure the BB is English threaded but a modern campy veloce or something. Im trying to find detail pics of a miyata Pista as the top eyes look very similar from afar. Again, thanks.
Old 01-20-13, 10:57 AM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Your forks look weird like they were bent backwards then someone tried to straighten them out. it looks like it would make for a pretty twitchy ride.
Old 01-20-13, 03:21 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
the stay caps (long and semi-wrap) look very "British", and the BB shell is BSC...but if that 26.2 seat post is the correct size, that's pretty mysterious.
measure and report the ODs of the 3 main tubes, use a digital caliper if you can...metric OD of the 3 tubes will be in even MMs, Imperial dimension tubing will have fractional MMs.
Do the track ends have any stampings (like "Campagnolo") visible? They certainly don't look to be a "stock" pattern, but might be re-worked.
Old 01-21-13, 12:04 PM
PitstonePedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At last, I think some kind of break through, according to my mates dad! The bike is either Geoffrey Butler or Gazelle, looking through old Gazelle catalogues, the frame could easily be a 1984 Gazelle Champion Mondial Baan (Dutch = track of course).

I cant find any pictures to post and do not know how to post .pdfs. if though anyone is interested, follow this link, then brochures, then 1984, bottom of page 13 ;-) https://jvs.webklik.nl/page/gazelle

Last edited by PitstonePedaler; 01-21-13 at 12:10 PM.