Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

banana or mcdonalds apple pie?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 01-07-14, 03:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts

Banana
Calories 105
Calories from Fat 0
Total Fat 0.0g 0%
Sodium 1mg 0%
Carbohydrates 27.0g 9%
Dietary Fiber 3.0g 12%
Sugars 14.0g
Protein 1.0g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 17%
Calcium 1% ·
Iron 2%

mcdonalds apple pie
Calories 260
Calories from Fat 117
Total Fat 13g
Sodium 200mg
Carbohydrates 34g
Dietary Fiber 0
Sugars 13g
Protein 3g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 40%
Calcium 2%
Iron 6%
Old 01-07-14, 03:54 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that few people who frequent the high-fat and high-sugar meals of McDonald's would see any reason to eat a mere banana... After becoming used to the McDonald' fat and sugar laden meals, the banana would not be satisfying.

Conversly, those who are careful of their nutrition would not see much reason to eat a McDonald's apple pie. For myself, having become accustomed to low-fat & low-sugar eating, that apple pie holds no appeal for me. Actually, it sounds a bit disgusting.
Old 01-08-14, 03:23 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Depends on what you're doing ... going for a walk, eat the banana ... mid-randonnee and perhaps the apple pie might be more appealing.

Why do you ask?
Old 01-08-14, 06:22 AM
bmontgomery87

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is this really a question?
Old 01-08-14, 07:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

I normally like to eat a banana at 4:30 with some B6 & B12 before the gym after work at 5. yesterday I didn't have one with me and didn't have time to get one from the grocery store. since I was getting a coffee at mcdonalds I got their pie at 2:30 and saved it 'till later, thinking it would give me a similar simple carb boost. while I survived I found it didn't hold up the same even though it had more carbs and calories. I do a 20 minute jog on the treadmil and then 20 min of intense weight training. yesterday I felt a bit ill, weak, shaky after my run. I took my time and a few extra minutes before the weight training and worked my way through it. I think the pie, in some way went through my system and left me weak, whereas the banana holds up better. maybe the banana takes longer to digest? anyway, I brought my banana today.

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-08-14 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-08-14, 07:53 AM
bmontgomery87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I normally like to eat a banana at 4:30 with some B6 & B12 before the gym after work at 5. yesterday I didn't have one with me and didn't have time to get one from the grocery store. since I was getting a coffee and mcdonalds I got their pie, thinking it would give me a similar simple carb boost. while I survived I found it didn't hold up the same even though it had more carbs and calories. I do a 20 minute jog on the treadmil and then 20 min of intense weight training. yesterday I felt a bit ill, weak, shaky after my run. I took my time and a few extra minutes before the weight training and worked my way through it. I think the pie, in some way went through my system and left me weak, whereas the banana holds up better. maybe the banana takes longer to digest? anyway, I brought my banana today.

I don't have the science behind it, but when I eat foods loaded with cheap calories (like deep friend, loaded with corn syrup, etc) I usually feel like crap and don't perform well.
Old 01-08-14, 01:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I haven't liked McDonald's apple pies since they changed the recipe... I think Hardee's still makes them the way I like (no cinnamon, flaky crust with no openings.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-08-14, 01:53 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I don't like apple pies.
Old 01-08-14, 03:23 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few weeks ago in a different thread I said something to the effect that only the colossally stupid would go to McDonald's looking for health food.

I see I've been proven correct.
Old 01-08-14, 07:10 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
A few weeks ago in a different thread I said something to the effect that only the colossally stupid would go to McDonald's looking for health food.

personal attacks are against forum rules. do it again and I'll report you to a moderator.
Old 01-08-14, 11:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
On a long ride, say 2 passes and 100 miles into it, what I like is a nice Hostess fruit pie. It's the perfect thing. Paid for and down in 2 minutes and don't have to eat again for about 45. A Brit of all people taught me that.

I once ate a big muffin at a rest stop after the first century, paper and all. Probably a lot of nutrition soaked into that paper. One more muffin (paperless) and I was out of there. I've never eaten the Hostess wrapper. Plastic is yucky.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
labelL424541.gif (4.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-09-14, 04:44 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Out on a long ride, sometimes a cinnamon pop tart is just the thing.

Or a Snickers bar.

Or an ice cream bar.

I eat a lot of stuff in the middle of a long ride that I try to avoid in "real life."
Old 01-09-14, 05:20 AM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
You are much more likely to experience a "sugar crash" from the apple pie during normal fitness. As others have indicated, a high- mileage ride will be more likely to consume everything that nasty pie has to throw at it. Even so, the very thought of eating a greasy fried pie before, during, or after a ride nauseates me.
Old 01-09-14, 05:23 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so it's not on your menu, but a bicycle McDonalds stop requires a small ice cream cone. :-)
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 01-09-14, 10:50 AM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimF22003
Out on a long ride, sometimes a cinnamon pop tart is just the thing.

Or a Snickers bar.

Or an ice cream bar.

I eat a lot of stuff in the middle of a long ride that I try to avoid in "real life."
You could certainly do a lot worse about 70 miles in than a Snickers and a Coke. The feeling of being on 'crack' (i.e. full of energy) for the next hour does make one ponder what it does to those who eat this way while watching TV.
Old 01-09-14, 12:39 PM
daven

Bikes: Scattante Team (race) , Sette Forza (training), Klein Race Comp MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yogurt Parfait
Grilled chicken snack wraps
Southwest salad w grilled chicken
Apple slices
Milk
McWraps

Any of the above can be (or be part of) a healthy meal with decent macronutrient balance. On the other hand, I am sure that I can procure some pretty darned unhealthy stuff at a Whole Foods. It is all about making choices. And calling people names is mean and only serves to make you look bad.

On the OT, I would go for the pie if I was several hours into a ride and needed some energy. It is all about calories and getting the energy into the bloodstream! Off the bike, I wouldn't touch the pie though. Two bananas sound better to me.
Old 01-09-14, 01:45 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daven
Yogurt Parfait
Grilled chicken snack wraps
Southwest salad w grilled chicken
Apple slices
Milk
McWraps
The yogurt is something like 75g of carbs/ 50g of sugar (read HFCS). Maybe if that's what you were interested in for a ride stop, it would be OK, but hardly a 'healthy' alternative for a daily afternoon snack. The salad and wraps are made with disgusting franken-chickens. If that's your thing, though, enjoy. If milk is a good option for you, knock yourself out, I'm sure it's the finest quality.

So that leaves us with the apples. Perhaps the only good option as long as you're not digging into the caramel 'sauce' that they serve with them. Well done Mickey D's, I take it all back.

Look, eat what you want. I really don't care, but if you're eating fast-food pies and gas-station hot dogs, don't expect much. I just shake my head that anyone needs this notion reinforced.
Old 01-09-14, 01:54 PM
daven

Bikes: Scattante Team (race) , Sette Forza (training), Klein Race Comp MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
McDonalds or any other fast food is nowhere near the top of my list of food options. In a pinch, the choices outlined will do though. Most of us ride enough to offset any harm done from the occasional Mickey D's stop.
Old 01-09-14, 02:29 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Not condoning calling people names, but look at the actual nutrition information for the "healthy" options at McDs. Most aren't all that healthy and have lots of sugar, sodium, and more fat than you'd expect. They also have a bad reputation for huge amounts of preservatives so that their foods still look fresh even when they may not be. I like hamburgers but I don't buy fast food burgers, I'll go to the mom n pop diners where I know they buy real ground beef from the local butcher. Still not health food, but if you are going to indulge at least make it worth it. I have a few favorites in various towns and they make better burgers than anything Wendy McBurger King will ever crank out.

I'm still a big fan of oatmeal raisin cookies for quick cycling nutrition. Subway makes some decent ones, but small local bakeries that make them from scratch are even better.

Last edited by Myosmith; 01-09-14 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-09-14, 03:53 PM
Pic

Bikes: Road, Hybrid, Tandem, Mountain, Gravel

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No way a McD's fruit pie should be chosen over a banana.

It's processed food coated with high fructose corn syrup. Other than a sugar rush, no value at all and certainly no nutritional value.
Makes my stomach queasy just thinking about it.

At least the banana has natural sugar.
Old 01-09-14, 03:57 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Banana has a biodegradable wrapper too.
Old 01-09-14, 05:11 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
MacDonalds is evil. They offer these cute little toys with their meals and have play areas to attract little kids and force them to eat their junk. But that's not the worst part. The other bad thing is that fast food companies spend a lot of money to hire chemists who make fast food very addictive. It's like a drug, people keep eating it because it tastes so good and creates cravings to come back for more.
Old 01-09-14, 05:38 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
MacDonalds is evil. They offer these cute little toys with their meals and have play areas to attract little kids and force them to eat their junk. But that's not the worst part. The other bad thing is that fast food companies spend a lot of money to hire chemists who make fast food very addictive. It's like a drug, people keep eating it because it tastes so good and creates cravings to come back for more.
+1,000
... Yes, they are pushing addictions to fat & HFCS -- and then reaping the profits from that. And the kids toys are even worse...

My friend HATES McD's -- but she takes her son there anyway so he can play on the indoor playground... His favorite food is 'chicken' McNuggets... "Get 'im while they're young"
Old 01-09-14, 09:49 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I agree in a way. They certainly work to make their food hyper-palatable. Having said that, pretty much every food corporation does that, so you can hardly single them out of the crowd any more than any other fast/convenient food. They peddle salt, grease and HFCS, that's pretty much the extent of it, but if you walk the aisles of any local supermarket you'll find plenty of the same.

It's sad, really, that people know and/or care so little about what they eat.

My kids have had McD's a couple times and they don't care for it. I seem to have indoctrinated them successfully.
Old 01-10-14, 06:35 AM
bmontgomery87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's sad, really, that people know and/or care so little about what they eat.

My kids have had McD's a couple times and they don't care for it. I seem to have indoctrinated them successfully.
I've done a decent job with my 5 year old daughter, and I try to keep her away from that stuff.
Her mother, on the other hand, makes things very difficult. She doesn't understand that I'm not just being uptight, that there are legitimate risks involved with feeding children food that isn't food.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.