Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph

Old 09-06-19, 01:24 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Are you in Witness Protection or something? Why are you 'unfortunately' moving to an area you know will be hostile to your cycling centric lifestyle? None of my business. Your life. I wouldn't do it. I've seen many of your posts and you have racked up an impressive amount of negative interactions with motor vehicles already. What gives? Not why you are moving, that's obviously personal. Why you seem to be such a magnet for road rage, that's what I am genuinely curious about.
I can certainly see why, you might think I was in Witness Protection. Considering how I 'worded' the situation. Thankfully, That is not case. The move is both financial and to be near family. We are near family hear. But the cost-of-living, is through the roof. I say 'unfortunately'. Because the new house a relative bought. Is in a location. Where, If you travel by any mode other than a car. You might as well, not exist.

Yes, I have racked up a number of bad 'interactions' with motorists'. I am a magnet for road rage around here. Because the attitude of drivers'. Is one of needing to be somewhere, yesterday. And/or implied seniority. Because of the drivers' mode of transportation.

I was out last night on a six-lane arterial coming back from Costco. After getting my relative's medication. I was in the middle lane. Because the outside lane merged right, onto the interstate. The driver in the merge lane congenially asked me why I was not on the shoulder. I had explain state traffic, specific to bikes to him. There are even signs up in the county that say 'bike(symbol) May Use Full Lane'.

15yrs. ago, when I was living in Duluth(MN) off of Lake Superior. I made the major mistake of staying in the lane to the entrance ramp to the interstate. I ended up on an interstate route that goes from Duluth where I was living. Down to Texas near the U.S.-Mexico border. That really scared me. I promised never to make that kind of mistake again.

There is a consistent example near me(DC-Metro region), of the ongoing 'yesterday' attitude. It is a two-lane road going through a neighboring city center. It has on-street parking on both sides. Numerous times drivers' have tried to pass on the road in question. Causing me to have to ride in the 'door zone', unless I don't move. The speed limit is 30mph. But when I am going 20mph, there is no reason for a driver to try to squeeze by me.
Old 09-06-19, 01:43 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
I approached a crossing earlier, and a sports car stopped for me. I didn't want the sports car to stop, I'd have preferred it if the sports car had just gone past, so it'd have been clear for me to proceed quicker and without confusion.

Yeah, this didn't happen. I'm just pointing out how tacky, long-winded and unnecessary it is to call a car an SUV. It's a car. And your car is a car.
And it's especially a car when it's a Toyota Camry.
?? WTF? Try again. You've utterly failed to connect this little digression to serious matters under discussion.
Old 09-06-19, 01:44 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JW Fas
A news article also indicated he needed facial reconstructive surgery:
https://www.kyma.com/news/cyclists-r...own/1079075565
And he has a Strava account which has some pictures that are visible if you're logged in.

Beware ... these pictures make it clear that "facial reconstructive surgery" is not an exaggeration. It looks like his surgeons did good work, but ... I imagine he's going to be disfigured for life, and I can't tell if he lost an eye or not.

Also, the ride where he was hit is also on his Strava, so you can see exactly where he was and how fast he was going (about 20 mph, it looks like.)
Old 09-06-19, 01:46 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by Chris0516
The speed limit is 30mph. But when I am going 20mph, there is no reason for a driver to try to squeeze by me.
Chris. If you are going 20 mph in a posted 30mph there is every reason for a driver to try to squeeze by you ...

Last edited by Leisesturm; 09-06-19 at 02:08 PM.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 09-06-19, 01:59 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
See the link I shared. If you put yourself in the driver's focus, they might choose to pay attention to you.

The road is apparently US-95 in AZ. Not an interstate highway, but part of the US route system. Interestingly, AZ apparently does not ban bicycles from the interstate highways if there is no suitable alternative route. This is a state highway.
Oregon is pretty generous to cyclists as states go, but only on specific marked stretches is a cyclist allowed access to the US route system! The exceptions are well noted and have wide shoulders so that bikes can be WELL clear of the roadway. Put yourself in the drivers focus? Really? I've had to change tires and pulled well off 55 mph roads and you simply cannot imagine (unless you have experienced it) what the speed differential between freeway traffic and stationary (a cyclist!) objects is. A cyclists only chance with speeds like that is to be nowhere near the travel lane! Why do they need to see you if they are going to miss you by 8 feet?

Lots of risky and/or ridiculous things are allowed. Motorcycle riding without helmets is allowed in many places. I'm not even going to pull that road up on Google. I don't want to find out there was a side road the victim could have used instead. I would no more use US-26 in my area to go east/west than I would use US-101 to go north/south. Both are allowed. Just because a thing is ... allowed. Sometimes you have to use your own common sense foresight because hindsight is a _______ (rhymes with smother).

Last edited by Leisesturm; 09-06-19 at 02:06 PM.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 09-06-19, 02:02 PM
Chris0516

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Chris. If you are going 20 mph (unlikely) in a posted 30mph there is every reason for a driver to try to squeeze by you ...
Are you claiming, I can't go 20mph? On a road that is in a business district and/or, has a clear sight line of less than .25mi. and/or has small curves/hills, nope.
Old 09-06-19, 02:31 PM
atbman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Chris. If you are going 20 mph in a posted 30mph there is every reason for a driver to try to squeeze by you ...
I hope this is an ironic comment. There is almost never a good reason for a driver to squeeze past if you're going more slowly than him/her. Squeezing implies a very close pass and no-one's time is so important that a handful of seconds is more important than someone else's life
Old 09-06-19, 02:44 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Are you claiming, I can't go 20mph? On a road that is in a business district and/or, has a clear sight line of less than .25mi. and/or has small curves/hills, nope.
You're being obtuse. Obviously you're within your rights to go 20mph (not sure where you came up with the idea he suggested otherwise), but you would also be going significantly under the posted speed limit, and a vehicle driver would have every right to "squeeze" around you, (within reason, obviously). As a cyclist, you're PART of traffic, you don't own the road and have a perpetual,universal right-of-way. If I realize I'm holding up a string of vehicles, or even a single big truck, I routinely pull over and wave them around.
I'm obviously not obligated to do this, it's just common courtesy IMO, with an added bonus (hopefully) of instilling some positive sentiment towards cyclists.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 09-06-19, 03:10 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by atbman
I hope this is an ironic comment. There is almost never a good reason for a driver to squeeze past if you're going more slowly than him/her. Squeezing implies a very close pass and no-one's time is so important that a handful of seconds is more important than someone else's life
It is an observation of human nature. Frail creatures of flesh such as we are not going to pass (swidt?) up the opportunity to nail the standing green light 500 yards distant if they can. Dawdling (yes) behind ANYTHING going slower is going to put most drivers in an altered state, and thousands of neurons are going to be firing off impulses dedicated to the task of successfully achieving the (suddenly) important objective of nailing that light no matter what. Make it easy for them. Rock that door zone. The risk of a dooring (suddenly) becomes less likely than a sideswipe from a Toyota Camry (s ... never mind) traveling at 35 (five over) miles per hour. Is that not obvious?
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 09-06-19, 03:23 PM
Chris0516

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
You're being obtuse. Obviously you're within your rights to go 20mph (not sure where you came up with the idea he suggested otherwise), but you would also be going significantly under the posted speed limit, and a vehicle driver would have every right to "squeeze" around you, (within reason, obviously). As a cyclist, you're PART of traffic, you don't own the road and have a perpetual,universal right-of-way. If I realize I'm holding up a string of vehicles, or even a single big truck, I routinely pull over and wave them around.
I'm obviously not obligated to do this, it's just common courtesy IMO, with an added bonus (hopefully) of instilling some positive sentiment towards cyclists.
No, I don't own the road, and yes. As a cyclist, I am part of the traffic.. But state law says I may 'Use The Full Lane'. There are signs posted all over the county saying this.

Also, As I previously mentioned, drivers' around here. Behave like cyclists' are in their way. But also, that they had to get something done, yesterday. Sort of like, to drive in this region. You have to be qualified in, committing road rage daily.

Five years ago. I was in a merge lane. When a driver behind me. Suddenly went from the merge lane, to the outside thru lane. Then back into the merge. He did it so fast that, when he suddenly realized the merge lane was ending. He spun out into the thru lane traffic. Coming to a rest, facing the opposite direction in, the inside lane. That was on a six-lane divided arterial. All because he did not want me in front of him.

I am not going to risk, being in their blind spot. When they want squeeze by me.
Old 09-06-19, 03:29 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
No, I don't own the road, and yes. As a cyclist, I am part of the traffic.. But state law says I may 'Use The Full Lane'. There are signs posted all over the county saying this..

“To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it.”G.K. Chesterton

Likes For Brocephus:
Old 09-06-19, 04:02 PM
Chris0516

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus

“To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it.”G.K. Chesterton

Quoting G.K. Chesterton in this respect. Is going entirely by the vagueness in the traffic law. Ignoring one's own safety. In MD, 'May Use Full Lane', is superseded by 'as close as practicable. There is no addendum to either. Providing further clarification. Because of that ambiguity in the law, I 'take the lane' consistently.
Old 09-06-19, 04:04 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
They did have a rear light and it obviously did not help. After the impact the red flashing of the blinker can be seen for several minutes.
Yes, it does. I had watched the video the night before and commented on it in the morning and should have reviewed it again, except it was too disturbing.
Old 09-06-19, 04:32 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Should have been right of rumble strip.

if you have to take the lane for some reason, always go BIG and just f-ing take it. Watch yer back and get in and out as quick as you can, but unabashedly OWN it while you’re in there. It’s counterintuitive that it’s safer. Force them to see you, stand-up, ignore any horn as you do what you gotta do to get in and out and have a safe ride.

This guy dabbled in a gray zone and got burned. Vid doesn’t surprise me at all. If I rode like that I’d half expect to get nailed.
Old 09-06-19, 07:57 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Yeah, nobody wants to be held up by a cyclist.

What's more, even if he's doing 30 in a 30 zone, some drivers will see reason to get in front of him.
Old 09-06-19, 09:01 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
If you can't see, you slow down enough to adjust for the conditions.
Your life is in THEIR hands. People screw up all the time. There is no solution to fixing THEM. Would you set up a lawn chair inside the fog line of a busy highway and watch YouTube vids on your phone as traffic passes inches away. No? Why not? Would that be dangerous? Basically the same thing as biking there.

Don't play in traffic, or go for it and take your chances. <--Here are your two choices.
Old 09-06-19, 09:39 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Your life is in THEIR hands. People screw up all the time. There is no solution to fixing THEM.
Can't argue with that.

Would you set up a lawn chair inside the fog line of a busy highway and watch YouTube vids on your phone as traffic passes inches away. No? Why not? Would that be dangerous? Basically the same thing as biking there.
Actually, I learned here recently that the lawn chair would actually be safer OUTSIDE the fog line, because traffic would need to make an effort to pass said aluminum and Naugahyde outdoor furniture, and not be able to just lazily whiz right past. It's counter-intuitive, I know, but supposedly it works like a charm.

However I must admit I find your lawn chair analogy a bit flawed analytically, since a lawn chair does not have pedals. Or wheels.
Old 09-06-19, 11:12 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxKatt
Should have been right of rumble strip.
That's where I would have been.

if you have to take the lane for some reason, always go BIG and just f-ing take it. Watch yer back and get in and out as quick as you can, but unabashedly OWN it while you’re in there. It’s counterintuitive that it’s safer. Force them to see you, stand-up, ignore any horn as you do what you gotta do to get in and out and have a safe ride..
I agree as a general principle except in this case, because if he'd taken the whole lane he'd have been hit square and would've gone under the vehicle (or maybe over it). The problem wasn't his position in the lane, it was being in a lane when drivers were blinded by the sun.

And yes, it's still the driver's fault for driving unsafely. If you can't see, you gotta slow down.
Old 09-07-19, 01:01 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
Your life is in THEIR hands. People screw up all the time. There is no solution to fixing THEM. Would you set up a lawn chair inside the fog line of a busy highway and watch YouTube vids on your phone as traffic passes inches away. No? Why not? Would that be dangerous? Basically the same thing as biking there.

Don't play in traffic, or go for it and take your chances. <--Here are your two choices.
Your argument is based off a premise of current driving standards. If we instilled a culture that enforced better driving, this wouldn't be anywhere near as much of a worry. It's certainly easier said than done, but I think my proposed solution would work.
Old 09-07-19, 01:15 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
Perhaps tow a ramp-shaped trailer behind the bike?

This is CGI, but you get the picture.

And, a real stunt ramp.
Old 09-07-19, 04:21 AM
Newspaper_Nick

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
The saddest part in this video is how self-centered the driver is. The moment he/she sees the cyclist, he/she starts crying for him/herself. I don't even think he/she tried to help the dude one bit. Just burst into tears thinking "oh what's gonna happen to me now?". This kind of attitude makes me hate mankind even more than i usually do.
Old 09-07-19, 05:57 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaper_Nick
The saddest part in this video is how self-centered the driver is. The moment he/she sees the cyclist, he/she starts crying for him/herself. I don't even think he/she tried to help the dude one bit. Just burst into tears thinking "oh what's gonna happen to me now?". This kind of attitude makes me hate mankind even more than i usually do.
How do you know this?

Yes, you can assume the driver was probably panicked and distraught and likely unable to think or function normally: however it's a real stretch to extrapolate this assumption to a cold, uncaring, self-pitying reaction.

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
However I must admit I find your lawn chair analogy a bit flawed analytically, since a lawn chair does not have pedals. Or wheels.
Yes they do. They're called recumbent trikes!

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 09-07-19 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-07-19, 06:32 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I find these discussions parallel Paulo Friere's assertions in "Pedagogy of the Oppressed": If you use the language of the oppressor culture (in this case, auto-centric), you give legitamacy to their colonization of traffic....

In Memphis, civil rights era, sanitation workers carried signs asking: "Ain't I a man?"

I often think we need that on the back of our vests/jerseys....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 09-07-19, 10:13 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
My point of the lawnchair was to illustrate speed differential between a cyclist and a motor vehicle on a high speed roadway. The bike is basically stopped as compared to a car moving at 55-70 mph. So in fact we ARE sitting in a lawn chair on the roadway, even if not riding a recumbent.

Also, a rear-view mirror is a lot more useful than a rear facing camera, although not nearly as illustrative after the fact. I doubt that car would have hit me. I would have bailed with about 2 seconds to spare. Been there, done that.
Old 09-07-19, 10:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
...Also, a rear-view mirror is a lot more useful than a rear facing camera, although not nearly as illustrative after the fact. I doubt that car would have hit me. I would have bailed with about 2 seconds to spare. Been there, done that.
Perhaps, @JoeyBike
Originally Posted by CliffordK
…Rumbles? If I heard them 50 feet behind myself, they would be a strong wake-up.
Originally Posted by mr_bill
If the closing speed is 50 mph, that gives you 0.68 seconds to get out of the way.
Originally Posted by mr_bill
...Your cat-like reflexes are much better than mine...
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph"

Thanks to @JW Fas for posting this video. I have posted about learning safety either by experience or vicariously, and this is the best training video I have seen about “bailing out.”

I’m an ardent mirror advocate. Many naysayers disparage the use of the mirror for the rare event as depicted above, just to avoid a rear end collision. IMO a mirror is more frequently used, and more valuable to monitor and anticipate road hazards:...

So as a bailout training video, I have to consider how I would react to [such] a quickly upcomimg car, and make the decision to bail, especially with an inhospitable shoulder.
At what point do you realize that the upcoming car ain't gonna swerve out of your line of travel?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.