Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

V brakepad keeps sliding down

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 01:45 AM
shine2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im trying to use my allen key to lock the brakepad fixing bolt during toe in but the backside of the pad slides halfway down

its the backside of the pad that slides down too.
What are my options?
​​​​​

Edit: turns out i was using the wrong side to tow in as a shim using my card.thanks fir suggestions too.

Last edited by shine2000; 12-20-19 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-20-19, 01:51 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
If they move while riding, my first guess is that the nut is bottoming out on the threads before clamping properly. Try adding another washer under the nut.
Likes For dabac:
Old 12-20-19, 05:26 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
If they're moving while tightening the bolt, then tie a string around the brake lever first to lock it in place, grab the brake pad with one hand, and turn the wrench with the other hand. If you want to toe, you could stick a thin piece of rubber inner tube under the brake pad before tying the brake lever.
The pad will still rotate a little bit as you try to get the 8nm of torque, but you can fix this by rotating the wrench counterclockwise a little bit while also twisting the pad counterclockwise with your other hand so that you don't lose torque.
I used to toe, but I had to trim my pads thinner because of the narrower brake walls on the new rims, so the pads had less grip and stability when installing, so I simply install them flat without toe.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 12-20-19 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-20-19, 07:59 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
In addition to the above, check to see if you might have a washer on which one side is angled, to assist in pad position. If you do, and it isn't in the right position, the pad would move while tightening.
Old 12-20-19, 08:40 AM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Try putting a little grease on the threaded shaft of the brake pad that the anchor nut threads onto. Many times the pad will twist trying to achieve the proper torque to fix the pad in place, or when the brake anchor bolt or nut feels tight, it’s still possible to twist the pad by hand. A little grease on the threads will make the process of getting the pad tight and fixed in the right location and amout of toe in an easier task. Just make sure all the convex/con-caved washers are in the correct orientation and keep the grease off the brake pad face and rim.
Old 12-20-19, 09:49 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
After a couple of positioning and tightening down a pad only to have it move out of place I'll do the above but also reach for a medium pair of channel lock pliers to grip the pad with while tightening for the third time. Andy6
Old 12-20-19, 11:56 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by shine2000
What are my options?
Tighten it just enough to hold the brake pad in the proper place, squeeze the brake lever to hold the pad against the rim (with a spacer between rear of pad and rim for toe-in, if desired), tie the brake lever down hard with bungee cords. Now examine the pad to make sure it's in the correct place, has correct contact with the rim. Adjust if necessary. Then hold the pad with one hand to keep it from moving as you tighten the pad bolt (while the brake lever is still strapped down).
Old 12-20-19, 03:05 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 2,985 Times in 1,498 Posts
toe in tool.

The Super B Brake Shoe Tuner TB-BR20 makes adjusting brakes easier than ever. Its handy and practical design makes it an ingenious tool for your optimal choice to tune brake shoes. Works on rims with a width of 19-32 mm and a maximum depth of 50 mm.
  • For easy adjustment of brake shoes at the rim
  • For rims 19-32 mm wide with a max height of 50 mm
  • Wide shape prevents the rim from being damaged
  • On a header card
  • Part of the classic line of products