Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Would a Shimano bar-end shifter (SL-BS64) work with an 8sp Deore derraileur?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 02:47 PM
ollin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know it's probably a super noob question but whenever i see it online everyone goes out of their way to state that it is NOT dura-ace compatible, does this mean that anything else is fine?

Trying to "tourify" a trek 7.3 FX here

Here's the link to the shifters: https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SL-BS6...ywords=sl-bs64
Old 08-20-12, 03:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
they call the 9 speed a 'dura ace', but dura ace drivetrains have changed over the decades..

you want the 8 speed? they call it the 'ultegra', but the labels are less meaning full..

if you use 2 left , friction only levers none of that naming stuff matters..
Old 08-20-12, 08:54 PM
sgnl2nz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using these same shifters with a Shimano Exage 500LX rear derraileur that's probably not much different at all from your Deore mech. 28-38-48 cranks and 12-32 cassette. I'm running it in friction mode, but that's just my personal preference. It should index fine for an 8 speed drivetrain. It's the lever that determines the number of stops/speeds, not the derrailleur. The reason why it wasn't Dura Ace compatible was that Dura Ace 9 speed systems had a different cable pull than Ultegra and lower systems when those levers were introduced a while back. They're great shifters- mine have scratched easily with use, but never come at all loose or compromised shifting.
Old 08-20-12, 09:33 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by ollin
I know it's probably a super noob question but whenever i see it online everyone goes out of their way to state that it is NOT dura-ace compatible, does this mean that anything else is fine?

Trying to "tourify" a trek 7.3 FX here

Here's the link to the shifters: https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SL-BS6...ywords=sl-bs64
Yes. I had this exact set-up (years ago) and it worked fine.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-20-12, 09:34 PM
SweetLou

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sgnl2nz
The reason why it wasn't Dura Ace compatible was that Dura Ace 9 speed systems had a different cable pull than Ultegra and lower systems when those levers were introduced a while back.
Nope, 9 speed Dura Ace derailers have the same pull as all other 9 speed Shimano derailers. It's the 8 speed Dura Ace that required a different amount of cable pull.
Old 08-21-12, 07:59 AM
ollin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, thanks! This answers all my questions Touring rig for less than $500 here i go!
Old 01-09-20, 06:45 PM
powerclocks

Bikes: Zipp 2001 Softride Beam Model, iZip e-Bike, Wayne Rogers Tripple Triangle, Malvern 5 Star, Malvern 3 Star, Hoffy, Orbea Orca Di2, Berretto,

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
8sp SL-BS64 bar end shifter to Dura Ace

Originally Posted by ollin
Hey, thanks! This answers all my questions Touring rig for less than $500 here i go!
I am using a Shimano Bar End Shifter 8speed SL-BS64 and a 8 speed Dura Ace 7400 series Derailleur to a Sachs 8sp LY97 screw on Cluster.
now I only see one problem that perhaps someone else has figured out before me. Gear spacing. Has anyone else either done this before or have some sage advice please?
I must use screw on cluster. No choice here.
Graeme
Old 01-10-20, 10:58 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by powerclocks
I am using a Shimano Bar End Shifter 8speed SL-BS64 and a 8 speed Dura Ace 7400 series Derailleur to a Sachs 8sp LY97 screw on Cluster.
now I only see one problem that perhaps someone else has figured out before me. Gear spacing. Has anyone else either done this before or have some sage advice please?
I must use screw on cluster. No choice here.
Graeme
Please note that you are replying to a thread from 2012.

Your shifters will work with Shimano rear derailleurs except 7400-series Dura-Ace.

SL-BS50-8 is for Dura-Ace 8-speed.
SL-BS64 is for non-Dura-Ace 8-speed.
SL-BS77 is 9-speed.
SL-BS78 is 10-speed.

Old 01-10-20, 11:25 PM
powerclocks

Bikes: Zipp 2001 Softride Beam Model, iZip e-Bike, Wayne Rogers Tripple Triangle, Malvern 5 Star, Malvern 3 Star, Hoffy, Orbea Orca Di2, Berretto,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills

Your shifters will work with Shimano rear derailleurs except 7400-series Dura-Ace.

SL-BS77 is 9-speed.
SL-BS78 is 10-speed.
well that sux. I am of course using a Dura Ace 7400 8sp.
what is the problem? I have a tool shop at my disposal and can fabricate whatever is required. It's just a derailleur. It moves over to engage a new sprocket. If the movement is even and the sprocket spacing is even it must only be a spacing problem. So. Does anyone know or can advise the sprocket spacing I need to make and fit to make this work?"
Graeme
Old 01-11-20, 12:47 AM
powerclocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
8sp SL-BS64 bar end shifter to Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills

SL-BS77 is 9-speed.
SL-BS78 is 10-speed.
what is the problem? I have a tool shop at my disposal and can fabricate whatever is required. It's just a derailleur. It moves over to engage a new sprocket. If the movement is even and the sprocket spacing is even it must only be a spacing problem. So. Does anyone know or can advise the sprocket spacing I need to make and fit to make this work?"
Graeme
Old 01-11-20, 04:53 AM
dwsmartins

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Looks like the only problem is the rear derailleur, as the shifter is 8s “standard” as well as the freewheel. Don’t have a pronto solution, but maybe alternate cable routing is the thing for you.
Old 01-11-20, 11:58 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by powerclocks
Graeme
This is incorrect. The shifter moves the cable a certain amount and the cable causes the rear derailleur to move laterally to match the cog spacing. If the shifter and derailleur aren't designed to work together, the movement of the derailleur won't index on the cogs.

Shimano's Dura-Ace 7400-series derailleurs and shifters used a unique amount of cable movement. Almost every other Shimano shifter and rear derailleur used a different amount of cable movement and were cross-compatible.

In order to make your setup work, you need either a Shimano SL-BS50-8 shifter (very rare) or use a rear derailleur that matches your shifter: anything not 7400-serier. If you have your heart set on Dura-Ace, an RD-7700 will fill the bill.

Likes For Jeff Wills: