Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Leap Second to Strava Victory

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 09:33 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

Is anyone planning on having a go at their favorite short Strava segment tonight? At 11:59:60 the atomic clocks will pause for a second to implement Leap Second. Due to the slowing rotation of the earth. That extra second would come in handy on some of the fast, short segments.

So who's out at midnight tonight hunting KOM's?
Old 06-30-15, 11:15 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
That's brilliant! I missed KOM a week ago by 1 second. Wonder which way the wind will be blowing at midnight...

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 06-30-15, 11:19 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Meh. I'll just stick to editing the files before I upload them...
Old 06-30-15, 12:50 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Is anyone planning on having a go at their favorite short Strava segment tonight? At 11:59:60 the atomic clocks will pause for a second to implement Leap Second. Due to the slowing rotation of the earth. That extra second would come in handy on some of the fast, short segments.

So who's out at midnight tonight hunting KOM's?
I understand the humor, but the second is inserted at 8pm, not midnight.

The addition of the second would make you slower.

The leap second isn't cause the Earth is slowing, it is because a year is not 365 exact days.
Old 06-30-15, 01:00 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by 69chevy
I understand the humor, but the second is inserted at 8pm, not midnight.
Ah, depends on the time zone.

The addition of the second would make you slower.
It confused me at first also - I had to google around to see if we're adding a second to the clock, to the elapsed time, or what. But it's basically waiting an extra second at 12:59:60 UTC. So we DO get an extra second for our Strava run, but only at that precise time.

It's good that you pointed out the time zone, because I'd hate to have misled people into riding at midnight and missing the moment in their local time zone. You are correct, it is at 8pm here on the East Coast. Even better!

The leap second isn't cause the Earth is slowing, it is because a year is not 365 exact days.
That's a different leap, (not to get too techy but here) and maybe even better for Strava although I'm sure they'd correct for it. One second though, that's an opportunity.

Last edited by wphamilton; 06-30-15 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-30-15, 01:08 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gah! I just tied for 1st place yesterday on a segment (I really did!). That leap second would have put me firmly in first place.

Or in the hospital, since my bike has no lights and I live out in the country.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 06-30-15, 01:11 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Ah, depends on the time zone.

It confused me at first also - I had to google around to see if we're adding a second to the clock, to the elapsed time, or what. But it's basically waiting an extra second at 12:59:60 UTC. So we DO get an extra second for our Strava run, but only at that precise time.

It's good that you pointed out the time zone, because I'd hate to have misled people into riding at midnight and missing the moment in their local time zone. You are correct, it is at 8pm here on the East Coast. Even better!

That's a different leap, (not to get too techy but here) and maybe even better for Strava although I'm sure they'd correct for it. One second though, that's an opportunity.
Maybe I should have googled it. Just messing with you anyhow...
Old 06-30-15, 01:20 PM
wphamilton

Maybe I should have googled it. Just messing with you anyhow...
's allright, I've got it coming no doubt.
Old 06-30-15, 01:22 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by cydewaze
Gah! I just tied for 1st place yesterday on a segment (I really did!). That leap second would have put me firmly in first place.

Or in the hospital, since my bike has no lights and I live out in the country.
Remember it's 8 pm on the East Coast, not midnight thanks to 69Chevy. So that shouldn't stop you this time!
Old 06-30-15, 01:25 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remember it's 8 pm on the East Coast, not midnight thanks to 69Chevy. So that shouldn't stop you this time!
Good point!!

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 06-30-15, 01:33 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
So 5pm commute time on west coast. Can't wait for the carnage. It's like Y2K all over again.
Old 06-30-15, 11:46 PM
Zuzus pedals

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'll just wait for the biggest tailwind of the year to date like I always do when KOM hunting. That's the extent of my Strava cheating and I'm pretty crafty at it.

Of course, there are those who have a bag of tricks that would make Felix the Cat jealous. Not counting mere tailwinds, in order of least to greatest cheating, we have:

Clip on some aerobars
Use a TT bike
Draft in a group and go to the front at the end of the segment
Get motor paced
Use "digital EPO" (or actual EPO)
Affix a motor to the bike
Drive the segment
As many of the above as possible

Last edited by Zuzus pedals; 06-30-15 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-01-15, 01:45 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zuzus pedals
I'll just wait for the biggest tailwind of the year to date like I always do when KOM hunting. That's the extent of my Strava cheating and I'm pretty crafty at it.

Of course, there are those who have a bag of tricks that would make Felix the Cat jealous. Not counting mere tailwinds, in order of least to greatest cheating, we have:

Clip on some aerobars
Use a TT bike
Draft in a group and go to the front at the end of the segment
Get motor paced
Use "digital EPO" (or actual EPO)
Affix a motor to the bike
Drive the segment
As many of the above as possible
The first 3 aren't really cheating, those are fair game really. So is riding with a tailwind. Almost nobody bags a KOM with a headwind. The group rides kinda suck if you are challenging for it solo, but it is very satisfying to beat someone's group ride time with a solo effort. I do find it funny that people would think using an aerobar or TT bike as cheating though. There are segments in my area named "TT whatever" that are 12-20km in length. This is the kind of thing a TT bike excels at, and was built for. So if people do it on a road bike and complain about getting beat by a TT bike, I can't feel sorry for them. They've brought a knife to a gunfight. It would be the same as if I took my TT bike on a climb and then complained about someone using a superlight road bike.

Driving the segment is pretty easy to spot with no/bad HR/cadence/power data or someone going 30mph into a headwind. I've flagged a few people for Digital EPO too. Unfortunately there isn't a way to flag their profile on Strava with a big label on the page "digital doper." That would be nice.
Old 07-01-15, 06:26 AM
_ediri

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-01-15, 09:25 AM
Zuzus pedals

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Katso
The first 3 aren't really cheating, those are fair game really. So is riding with a tailwind. Almost nobody bags a KOM with a headwind.
That's the way I see it. So I shouldn't say "cheating," then. More "advantage." It's apparent when there was a group ride, so it's fun to be in the same ballpark as that speed solo. And I know who all the hard core tri guys in my area are and assume they're on TT rigs when they're going fast solo (normally they're about 2 mph faster than I am, give or take a couple of tenths). And I always try to convince myself that I, too, could match their speeds with full-on aero equipment instead of Merckxing it. The only problem with that is they're usually on 50+ mile TT simulation rides and pass over segments en route while I get a flying start and hit each segment as a stand-alone. But it's all just Cat 6 anyway, so how much can it mean? When all is said and done, it's only for personal satisfaction at beating a PR or convincing myself I belong in the same breath as some of the guys who would easily paddle my kiester in a real race!

As for tailwinds, I say it's a sin not to go for it when a huge wind's at your back! It's just plain fun! And it's true - who's going to go for a PR on a segment when there's a headwind? Of course the chances are high every straight shot segment KOM you can find was wind-aided!