Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Strava Gripe

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Strava Gripe

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-13, 07:48 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Strava Gripe

I enjoy looking at my rides and segments in Strava with absolutely no KOM prospects. My hope is to remain off the bottom of the aggregate standings and contend for the lead in the sparse 65+ lists.

I enjoy looking at what folks are doing in the 50+ and 65+ clubs and am astounding by the miles ridden by some of us older folk.

My one complaint is that the Strava week starts on Sunday so if you happen to do your weekly long ride on Saturday you spend you're entire week mired near the bottom of the mileage list. Mind you this is all entertainment and I'm not driven to ride 200 miles/week (ever), but it would seem more realistic to start the week on Saturday giving us Saturday ride folks a level playing field.
Old 11-08-13, 08:01 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
My one complaint is that the Strava week starts on Sunday so if you happen to do your weekly long ride on Saturday you spend you're entire week mired near the bottom of the mileage list. Mind you this is all entertainment and I'm not driven to ride 200 miles/week (ever), but it would seem more realistic to start the week on Saturday giving us Saturday ride folks a level playing field.
If I were Strava, I'd offer the ability for you to change the beginning of the week if you were a paid member. It's easy enough for them to do and it can make many people a lot happier.

I'd ask them and see what they say.
Old 11-08-13, 08:59 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Seeing your name near the bottom of the list bothers you, for what reason?

Old 11-08-13, 09:50 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
What about us Thursday riders?
Old 11-08-13, 09:56 AM
rdtompki

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I'm going for the middle ground in my dotage. I'm no longer into competition. I'm not looking to up my testosterone, but I'm not dead either. So when I look at Strava segments I'm ok in the 65+, middle of the pack in 200lbs and I'm fine with that. I'm probably middle of the pack in mileage for 65+ now that I'm retired. I just use Strava to float my boat a bit.
Old 11-08-13, 09:58 AM
rdtompki

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
What about us Thursday riders?
You've got a point there, but I'm going for the great good which, naturally, includes me, myself and I

The truth is I temporarily have too much time on my hands, but that should change next week.
Old 11-08-13, 10:22 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Doesn't matter to me what day Strava uses to start the week. My higher mileage rides are on one of the weekend days (with a rare exception), but whatever. A week is exactly a week long, no matter when it starts!

I have no complaints about Strava, but then I'm a freebie member so even if I did . . . it wouldn't matter!

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-08-13, 10:31 AM
nuke_diver

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My only issue with Strava is I wish private setting would still allow comparisions to yourself. Maybe it does if you pay but I don't so I cannot say. I like having a way to compare what I'm doing against myself. It is foolish for me to believe that I am actually fast
Old 11-08-13, 10:34 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I'm going for the middle ground in my dotage. I'm no longer into competition. I'm not looking to up my testosterone, but I'm not dead either. So when I look at Strava segments I'm ok in the 65+, middle of the pack in 200lbs and I'm fine with that. I'm probably middle of the pack in mileage for 65+ now that I'm retired. I just use Strava to float my boat a bit.
Then what does it matter where on a list your name shows up?
Old 11-08-13, 12:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,973 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by nuke_diver
My only issue with Strava is I wish private setting would still allow comparisions to yourself. Maybe it does if you pay but I don't so I cannot say. I like having a way to compare what I'm doing against myself. It is foolish for me to believe that I am actually fast
I just look after the ride. What I want to be going on during the ride is what I concentrate on. If I'm breaking my legs chasing some jersey up the road, do I want to know I'm slower than last week? No.

LOL at the OP complaint, though. Probably uploading to Strava once a week is sufficient for tracking training. Or just don't look at what others are doing. All I ever look at is average watts and My Results on the segment leaderboard. We tried for one downhill KOM on our tandem. Our careful planning and setup for the segment got us the bottom of the first page. The rest of the first page was singles putting 350 to over 400 watts on an almost straight descent. Kinda makes one wonder. 60 X 11?

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 11-08-13 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-08-13, 12:31 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I ride some very popular segments where I am in the bottom ten percent. An example is Torrey Pines grade-6%for two miles. Two years ago it was a victory for me to just make it to the top. Now I am at 6177th out of 6490.

Really, I am competing against myself. Strava gives me a good way to know if I'm winning. (So far I am )
Old 11-08-13, 12:48 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I enjoy looking at what folks are doing in the 50+ and 65+ clubs and am astounding by the miles ridden by some of us older folk
I enjoy looking at the average speeds - and am happy to see that quite a number of 50+ers are riding pretty hard and fast.
Old 11-08-13, 12:50 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Detour but not an outright Hijack permitted?

I just read the blurb in Bicycling Magazine on Strava. It really highlighted two deaths that were attributed to Strava influence and seemed to say it was an idea that had gotten out of control. Never been there. Know nothing about it. Your opinions?
Old 11-08-13, 01:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by HawkOwl

I just read the blurb in Bicycling Magazine on Strava. It really highlighted two deaths that were attributed to Strava influence and seemed to say it was an idea that had gotten out of control. Never been there. Know nothing about it. Your opinions?
It's fun and a good training aid. Testosterone poisoning is an all-too frequent cause of death. In this forum one hopes that T levels have declined to a point where this is no longer a big worry.
Old 11-08-13, 02:24 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Yeah. There are a couple of segments where I could be tempted to push the envelope on safe, like ones on crowded MUP's and ones that pass through traffic signals. I generally am not. If I have to stop for a light, or slow for a family with kids squreling around, it's ok. I ride those segments a lot and there is another day.
Old 11-08-13, 02:41 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
It's fun and a good training aid. Testosterone poisoning is an all-too frequent cause of death. In this forum one hopes that T levels have declined to a point where this is no longer a big worry.
I agree with what Carbonfiberboy wrote,

i.e. there are some exceptions (very few) but the vast majority of Strava users do not abuse their (and others) safety for a fast Strava time, segment position or KOM.

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-08-13, 03:28 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
I enjoy looking at my rides and segments in Strava with absolutely no KOM prospects. My hope is to remain off the bottom of the aggregate standings and contend for the lead in the sparse 65+ lists.

I enjoy looking at what folks are doing in the 50+ and 65+ clubs and am astounding by the miles ridden by some of us older folk.

Just think of it as incentive to push on Saturday!

The flip side is that if your weekends are booked up with non-bike activities, you're the club leader all week long and then suddenly every Tom, Dick, and Harry goes out and rides a century on the weekend, and you've gone from #1[/URL] to #15 . LOL

Just remember rule #5 .

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Last edited by bbbean; 11-08-13 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-08-13, 03:35 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts

The article was nanny-ism. Strava is what you make of it. It doesn't drive people to take unnecessary risks, rosky riders drive themselves to take unnecessary risks. You might as well blame Nascar for inspiring teenagers to drive too fast and hit things.

The fact of teh matter is that for every person who obsesses on Strava (or Map My Ride, or Endomodo, or Garmin Connect, or...) to the extent they are no longer safe, there are thousands, if not tens of thousands of users who find it a tremendous training aid and social tool. Strava is a major motivation for me to get on the bike a lot of mornings I might otherwise sit on the couch and drink another cup of coffee. That's a good thing!

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 11-08-13, 03:38 PM
nuke_diver

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I ever look at is average watts and My Results on the segment leaderboard.
Average watts is kind of useless for me since it is an estimated number so I look at time and speed for routes I have ridden before and not where I am in the rankings. What I would like Strava doesnt do but it is a nice way to track things still and I do use it.

Regarding the deaths, one apparently here in SF where a cyclist hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk trying to reclaim KOM. Not sure if it was true but if it is it was pretty irresponsible of him and he will likely get a long time to think about it and not be riding for a while as he was charged with vehicular manslaughter. Sadly there are always exceptions.
Old 11-08-13, 03:57 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,031 Times in 1,642 Posts
My one complaint is that the Strava week starts on Sunday
It starts the week on Monday. Deal with it. I like to mark all my commutes as private so they don't show up on the club leaderboard - until Sunday morning when I unprivate them and add 35 miles to my total to move ahead a couple spots... BWAH HA HA HA.
Old 11-08-13, 04:02 PM
CommuteCommando

Originally Posted by bbbean
. . . Strava is a major motivation for me to get on the bike a lot of mornings I might otherwise sit on the couch and drink another cup of coffee. That's a good thing!

BB
I was never one to keep journals or diaries, but I have become fanatical about journaling my diet and riding. Strava is good for the riding part. I got a new bike in late September, and if any one asks if I've ridden it much, I can tell them "Almost 900 miles". (873)

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
. . . I like to mark all my commutes as private so they don't show up on the club leaderboard - until Sunday morning when I unprivate them and add 35 miles to my total to move ahead a couple spots... BWAH HA HA HA.
How diabolical. Don't give me any ideas.
Old 11-08-13, 05:16 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I just look to see what distance Dudelsack posts and ride two or three tenths more, just because.
Old 11-08-13, 05:17 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
The article was nanny-ism. Strava is what you make of it. It doesn't drive people to take unnecessary risks, rosky riders drive themselves to take unnecessary risks. You might as well blame Nascar for inspiring teenagers to drive too fast and hit things.
I blame their parents for that.
Old 11-08-13, 08:29 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
I just look to see what distance Dudelsack posts and ride two or three tenths more, just because.
I'm planning on going 150 miles tomorrow, plus or minus a few. Tighten up those Sidis.

Old 11-09-13, 01:25 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by nuke_diver
Average watts is kind of useless for me since it is an estimated number so I look at time and speed for routes I have ridden before and not where I am in the rankings. What I would like Strava doesnt do but it is a nice way to track things still and I do use it.

Regarding the deaths, one apparently here in SF where a cyclist hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk trying to reclaim KOM. Not sure if it was true but if it is it was pretty irresponsible of him and he will likely get a long time to think about it and not be riding for a while as he was charged with vehicular manslaughter. Sadly there are always exceptions.
But not to me, since Stoker and I have lost that 27 lbs. so far this year, plus our bike weight changes with the seasons. So power numbers are a lot better for us than times, even though they're calculated (not estimated).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.