Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tubular Tyre suggestions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tubular Tyre suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 10:33 AM
Augie B

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tubular Tyre suggestions

I am looking for suggestions for tubular tyres ...
I love tubulars but I have been left disappointed ,flatted out, and broke in past!

Yes, I know clinchers are simple but these are for two bikes I’m restoring. One is a 1983 De Rosa Super Prestige with an Ambrosia/ super record wheelset. The other is a Colnago Spiral that will get ridden a lot more often.

I am am looking at Veloflex Master’s , Tufo, challenge, but I am not looking for top performance I just want a solid tire that I can ride worry free, don’t care if it’s super light, it won’t be raced, just good flat protection and smooth ride.

Am am I better going cheap? Or should I pony up ?

Last edited by Augie B; 06-18-19 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 11:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Maybe , like folks did 30 years ago, cheap, buy by the dozen

and learn how to sew them back together after mending the puncture ..

puncture resistant features in tires as with clinchers ... doing without them the ride improves..

Tufo uses a Sealant , with removable valve cores ..

One of my friends added sealant to non removable core cheap sew-ups , because he liked the ride..

injected it with a hypodermic needle then sealed that hole with a patch like it was any other puncture..

Old 06-18-19, 11:41 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I'm not sure Veloflex Master comes as tubular- "open tubular" means clincher. & don't think there is a Tufo challenge either.

I've been happy with Continental Sprinter for OK performance & exc. durability. Holds air well which is good for bikes ridden less often.

Cheap tires (Rally, etc) not worth the trouble. Cheap Tufos ride like bricks.
Old 06-18-19, 12:29 PM
Augie B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Maybe , like folks did 30 years ago, cheap, buy by the dozen

and learn how to sew them back together after mending the puncture ..

puncture resistant features in tires as with clinchers ... doing without them the ride improves..

Tufo uses a Sealant , with removable valve cores ..

One of my friends added sealant to non removable core cheap sew-ups , because he liked the ride..

injected it with a hypodermic needle then sealed that hole with a patch like it was any other puncture..

Haha! That is brilliant!!! Why have I never thought of that
Old 06-18-19, 12:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tufo Bonded a couple rings to a Tubular and that gripped the edges of a narrow clincher rim ..

Old 06-18-19, 05:54 PM
Augie B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I'm not sure Veloflex Master comes as tubular- "open tubular" means clincher. & don't think there is a Tufo challenge either.

I've been happy with Continental Sprinter for OK performance & exc. durability. Holds air well which is good for bikes ridden less often.

Cheap tires (Rally, etc) not worth the trouble. Cheap Tufos ride like bricks.
“Tufo, challenge “sorry, I should have put a comma there... the sprinter looks like a solid all around tire with a reasonable price! I wish it came with tan sidewalls, but you can’t have it all! Great suggestion! TY
Old 06-18-19, 06:17 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,228 Posts
Continental Sprinters for the DeRosa. 2nd choice = Specialized Turbo, nicer but wears faster
Veloflex (25 or 28) for the Colnago.

price them at www.probikekit.com and other EU or UK online stores.
Old 06-18-19, 08:05 PM
Augie B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Tufo Bonded a couple rings to a Tubular and that gripped the edges of a narrow clincher rim ..

I am actually looking forward to learning how to mount and repair these tires ( I may regret that statement) but there are some great deals on tubular wheels out there and it’s becoming a bit of a lost art. The last tubulars I had were a pair of Vitoria corsa cx, they were awesome to ride ... Nothing like it , but when I got a bad cut had to drive a 100miles to a bike shop that knew how to mount them!!! No one in my town could!
Old 06-18-19, 08:07 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I've been on Veloflex Arenbergs (25). I guess not the best riding tub around but they wear great for me. Not a cheap tire though (but look for sales).

scott s.
Old 06-18-19, 08:17 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Augie B
I am actually looking forward to learning how to mount and repair these tires ( I may regret that statement) but there are some great deals on tubular wheels out there and it’s becoming a bit of a lost art. The last tubulars I had were a pair of Vitoria corsa cx, they were awesome to ride ... Nothing like it , but when I got a bad cut had to drive a 100miles to a bike shop that knew how to mount them!!! No one in my town could!
If you choose to buy Tufo tubulars you should know in advance that they are not "sew ups". You cannot repair them in the conventional manner you can only use sealant to fix them because they do not have separate inner tubes like most other tubulars
Old 06-18-19, 08:26 PM
Augie B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
If you choose to buy Tufo tubulars you should know in advance that they are not "sew ups". You cannot repair them in the conventional manner you can only use sealant to fix them because they do not have separate inner tubes like most other tubulars
I’m leaning away from the Tufo’s ... if I improve my skills I might try them just to try them because they are cheap and are supposedly durable, but there have been some great suggestions that seem superior and are not that expensive! especially when you consider your not paying for tubes as well
Old 06-18-19, 08:30 PM
Augie B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
I've been on Veloflex Arenbergs (25). I guess not the best riding tub around but they wear great for me. Not a cheap tire though (but look for sales).

scott s.
I have rode master 25’s for years. Veloflex makes a great tire( good looking too!) I will definitely put those on my shopping list... if I find the right deal, I might snag a pair!
Old 06-18-19, 08:48 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Augie B
I’m leaning away from the Tufo’s ... if I improve my skills I might try them just to try them because they are cheap and are supposedly durable, but there have been some great suggestions that seem superior and are not that expensive! especially when you consider your not paying for tubes as well
Tufo tubular tires are tubeless, you don't pay extra for tubes the "tube" is integrated into the tire
Old 06-19-19, 08:06 AM
Augie B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Tufo tubular tires are tubeless, you don't pay extra for tubes the "tube" is integrated into the tire
Sorry , I was referring to the cost of tubes in a clincher tire as opposed to a tubular
Old 06-19-19, 08:28 AM
Augie B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967

scott s.
I ended up buying a set of Arenbergs, which was a little more than I wanted to spend. Ultimately, for me it came down to the fact that they are made by an employee owned factory in Italy, which I am glad to support. I also scored 5 ritchey comp slick tubulars for 11$ a PIECE!!! At Merlin cycles! Which if not a great tire will make great practice and I will carry one as a spare...wish me luck : )
Old 06-19-19, 12:46 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Tell us later with a thread update about the 2 tires.

I'm betting a HUGE ride difference between a 'tough as nails' 21mm versus the 'compliant sidewall' 25mm.
Night and day difference.
But I've never used the Richey, and I do use inexpensive tires as spares. (Rally & Giro)
The DeRosa deserves a better tire, IMHO.

Mounting a tubular tire with tubular tape is super easy - really - no practice necessary. With glue, a lot of practice is an advantage.

I run Veloflex Arenberg and it's a superior tire. Also their 25&28s with tanwalls (Roubaix & Vlaanderen) on vintage bikes.
The Specialized Turbo tubular is also superior but not as long lived. And I never see a Spesh sale on tubulars.
Old 06-19-19, 02:55 PM
Augie B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Tell us later with a thread update about the 2 tires.

I'm betting a HUGE ride difference between a 'tough as nails' 21mm versus the 'compliant sidewall' 25mm.
Night and day difference.
But I've never used the Richey, and I do use inexpensive tires as spares. (Rally & Giro)
The DeRosa deserves a better tire, IMHO.

Mounting a tubular tire with tubular tape is super easy - really - no practice necessary. With glue, a lot of practice is an advantage.

I run Veloflex Arenberg and it's a superior tire. Also their 25&28s with tanwalls (Roubaix & Vlaanderen) on vintage bikes.
The Specialized Turbo tubular is also superior but not as long lived. And I never see a Spesh sale on tubulars.
I don’t know if I will be happy or really mad if the Veloflex doesn’t ride a whole lot better!!!The plan is to mount the ritcheys on my less expensive wheels and work out the kinks . Then when I am finished with the De Rosa, it will get the Arenberg’s ! if I have enough clearance , and if the Arenberg meets expectations, I might go for Vlaanderen I am not certain it will fit, but I would prefer the vintage tan sidewall , And a nice wide tire.

Last edited by Augie B; 06-19-19 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-19-19, 09:00 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

@Augie B your logic and choices make sense. Update this thread down the road.

For my DeRosa Pro I like the 22mm Conti Sprinters; the previous owner thought they brought out the feel intended for a race bike of the era - that being sharp and precise over comfort, which the frame tubing (60cm SLX mostly) was supposed to deliver.
For the EM Corsa Extra, 25mm Veloflex Roubaix make the 61cm SLX frame heavenly.

Pairing the wheelset/tires to one's idea of the perfectly matching frame is as individual as saddle and color preferences.

edit: tire pressures make all the difference. I run 105/110 on 23&25mm. 90/95psi on 28mm Vlaanderen

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-19-19 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-20-19, 09:49 AM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
Veloflex is all I ride. Those Vlaanderens are great for longer rides, I pump them up to 60front/70back, maybe another 5psi if riding with a fast group. The Arenbergs I ride at 70/80.
Old 06-20-19, 06:41 PM
Augie B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can’t wait to get this project finished and get out on the Road. I’ll let everyone know the verdict and ill add some pics of the bikes when I’m done!