Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Went to a specialty Cardiologist & RT

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 08-03-18, 03:44 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts

Things hadn’t been going so well at finding answers to various little problems associated with my aging. The new Exercise Cardiologist and Recreation Therapist put me on strict programs. Every morning you must go do some physical movement using body parts that feel normal (or hurt least). LSDM - long, slow, developmental movement - is best. Activities such as gardening by hand, painting the house, cleaning the garage/attic/basement, etc would qualify. The Recreational Therapist offered cycling, hiking, boating, etc as an alternative.

Both concurred that a large percentage of your routine (in addition to the mundane requirements of modern households) should be engaged in regular movement. Periods of continuous motion at regular intervals with adequate rest build stamina, muscle memory and physical well being in many ways. Exertion need only be near the person’s minimal cardio level but regular and consistent over time. And the new physioPsychologist said - ‘if it makes ya feel better do a little more every month’.

Now let me go clean gutters and clear blackberry bushes. Nah - I’ll go ride.

Pills and Ills
Giggles and Thrills
A lighter side
of coping with years.

Give out a story or picture.
Here was my anti-aging pill today, as prescribed by my RT. Should be a tax deductible purchase , expense, and depreciating asset. Don’t ya think.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-03-18 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-03-18, 09:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Pretty much my philosophy already. Basically boils down to puttering with a purpose.

If anything my ortho doc advised me to slow down a bit while I'm recovering from a shoulder injury. It suddenly got worse after a few weeks of improving. I described my self-physical therapy exercise routine at home and he said I was overdoing it for this stage of healing. Gave me an anti-inflammatory injection and suggested taking a day off between every bike ride or indoor trainer session.

But I can still walk and do other stuff. I just need to put less strain on the shoulder, which includes the bike.
Old 08-03-18, 09:52 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I returned to cycling after I retired... and developed problems with my feet. I was getting a bit miserable and then one day... I saw a bicycle along the road with a for sale sign on it. The bike was crap, over-priced, and too small for me. So I bought it immediately... knowing if I thought about it I would never do anything to help my situation. And if I had a bike at least I'd get a little fresh air.

I rode the bike... and found the experience exhausting. But I enjoyed riding again (it was after all a return to cycling after 20-25 years). I quickly replaced that bike... and then a new bike. With the new bike began a 2000 mile a year cycling addiction. And the old bikes began a hobby of wrenching on, restoring, and reselling old bikes. With the cycling my health improved greatly, and I remain moderately healthy and happy now a decade later. The dozen (or 16) bikes I found worthy of a little time and effort to restore and resell has contributed to my small herd of decent bikes... as well as many hours of genuine enjoyment. Cycling has been very good for me.
Old 08-03-18, 10:18 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
So your wife said all that?
Old 08-04-18, 09:43 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by Bmach
So your wife said all that?
No, wife is overweight and sedentary.
You just need to find the right docs for simple solutions to the 'less than complex issues'.
Old 08-14-18, 07:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
we have a friend that had a heart attack a cpl days ago. he is recovering after getting a stent installed. don't know all the details yet, just heard about it thru the grapevine. but this hits pretty close to home
Old 08-16-18, 11:02 AM
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
we have a friend that had a heart attack a cpl days ago. he is recovering after getting a stent installed. don't know all the details yet, just heard about it thru the grapevine. but this hits pretty close to home
There's a few folks in this forum who are heart attack survivors. Me included.
Old 08-20-18, 05:35 PM
avmech

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Guilty. Had mine in June 2012, 3 stents. This AFTER losing 56 pounds, gym 3 times a week, and riding almost every day from 15 miles on up to 35 miles. Happened leaving the gym one Friday morning. 1.5 hours between symptoms and being wheeled out of the cath lab. Had the gym call 911, hospital less than 3 miles from gym. Listened to what my body was telling me.
Old 08-28-18, 09:19 AM
308jerry

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Me too

Originally Posted by wnl256
There's a few folks in this forum who are heart attack survivors. Me included.
Two and a half years ago for me, was usually busy around home. Have dropped eighty lbs ,exercise bike, Elliptical treadmill, bowflex.Six months ago got my first bike. Now I ride it four or five days a week, 8-10 miles per ride. There's a gravel, sand hill four miles from home I'll go up a couple days a week that is a workout to the top. If I die getting to the top someday, I'll die happy .....
Old 08-28-18, 09:24 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

Damn ... that is an awesome bike. Just looking at it makes me smile.

Old 08-28-18, 09:52 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by Biker395
Damn ... that is an awesome bike. Just looking at it makes me smile.
Thanks. It's a smile to ride, too.
Not sure why it always gets the fenders???
I think the narrow handlebars (37cm CtC) make it so nice for me. Also, the largest frame I ride comfortably.
Anybody needing to get rid of narrow handlebars can pm me.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-28-18 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 11:28 AM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Went to ER because of shortness of breath 5 weeks ago, turns out it was because of liquid in my lungs caused by congestive heart failure and they said i've had 2 heart attacks. Doc says they were silent heart attacks which is common among diabetics. So they put in 5 stents last month in left arteries and going in tomorrow for 1 or 2 more in the right artery. Lost 16 lbs during last few weeks, down to 145 from high of 200 from 2-3 years ago. My legs feel very weak now but doing 1 mile walks every other day using a cane, doc is surprised i can go that far, can't wait to start getting on my bike again.
Old 08-28-18, 12:12 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by slowpacer
Went to ER because of shortness of breath 5 weeks ago, turns out it was because of liquid in my lungs caused by congestive heart failure and they said i've had 2 heart attacks. Doc says they were silent heart attacks which is common among diabetics. So they put in 5 stents last month in left arteries and going in tomorrow for 1 or 2 more in the right artery. Lost 16 lbs during last few weeks, down to 145 from high of 200 from 2-3 years ago. My legs feel very weak now but doing 1 mile walks every other day using a cane, doc is surprised i can go that far, can't wait to start getting on my bike again.
Slow and easy does it for better recovery. Time will get you back as long as you give things time to heal. I rushed things a bit after recent prostate cancer surgery and paid a small price for doing so, soooo next time a little more careful.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-18, 01:11 PM
slowpacer

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Slow and easy does it for better recovery. Time will get you back as long as you give things time to heal. I rushed things a bit after recent prostate cancer surgery and paid a small price for doing so, soooo next time a little more careful.

Good luck.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 08-28-18, 01:47 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts

After the post got bumped, I looked and don't see barbs on the fence wire. Did you lean the bike up against an electric fence??
Old 08-28-18, 02:23 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Slow and easy does it for better recovery. Time will get you back as long as you give things time to heal.
Good luck.
Good advice. and kinda sorta the purpose of the thread. Slow & Steady and Regular, unless otherwise required by your Doctor.

@slowpacer - hang in and good luck.

Old 08-28-18, 02:28 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by pdlamb
After the post got bumped, I looked and don't see barbs on the fence wire. Did you lean the bike up against an electric fence??
Thought everyone knew?!?
Austrian steel frames with German tubulars won’t deliver a shock to the rider.
Old 09-02-18, 09:38 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
probably not charged, but it IS hi-tensile.. and that crap will cut stock to ribbons.. that's why ranchers use barb wire. Cattle get poked once or twice, and they stay off of it. And why you have to charge it for horses & pigs.. they'll run each other through it otherwise..

back to the OP.. I wonder if I can claim my 'Dales? I claimed the Talus in 2012 when I had my cardiac work done..
Old 09-03-18, 06:51 PM
slowpacer

Went back to hospital as scheduled to have the right artery opened too. They put in 3 stents in the right artery which makes it a total of 8. The doctor who did the procedure said the 5 stents from 2 months ago looked great. I feel very good and appetite is better but my leg muscles are weak and i get dizzy when doing a little too much activity, but i managed to walk 4 blocks yesterday and today was able to install a rack and front light on my bike that i had laying around.

Old 09-08-18, 05:57 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
Things hadn’t been going so well at finding answers to various little problems associated with my aging. The new Exercise Cardiologist and Recreation Therapist put me on strict programs. Every morning you must go do some physical movement using body parts that feel normal (or hurt least). LSDM - long, slow, developmental movement - is best. Activities such as gardening by hand, painting the house, cleaning the garage/attic/basement, etc would qualify. The Recreational Therapist offered cycling, hiking, boating, etc as an alternative.

Both concurred that a large percentage of your routine (in addition to the mundane requirements of modern households) should be engaged in regular movement. Periods of continuous motion at regular intervals with adequate rest build stamina, muscle memory and physical well being in many ways. Exertion need only be near the person’s minimal cardio level but regular and consistent over time. And the new physioPsychologist said - ‘if it makes ya feel better do a little more every month’.

Now let me go clean gutters and clear blackberry bushes. Nah - I’ll go ride.

Pills and Ills
Giggles and Thrills
A lighter side
of coping with years.

Give out a story or picture.
Here was my anti-aging pill today, as prescribed by my RT. Should be a tax deductible purchase , expense, and depreciating asset. Don’t ya think.

Nice Austro-Daimler! Is the Carabela Mexican? I had a Carabela motorcycle briefly. It had a stuck piston I could never break loose. I eventually donated the bike to a museum.

Last edited by decotriumph; 09-08-18 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-08-18, 09:21 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by decotriumph
Nice Austro-Daimler! Is the Carabela Mexican? I had a Carabela motorcycle briefly. It had a stuck piston I could never break loose. I eventually donated the bike to a museum.
Yes, made in Mexico.
Second sister to the original Windsor line of bikes.