Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Restoring a 70’s bike - decals?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-19, 08:41 AM
Sdmorris78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’d like to fully restore the paint on my bike which I believe the serial number suggests is a 1976 Araya. I’ve seen places online that will acid dip the frame and put on a killer paint job but I’m having a hard time tracking down original or reproduction decals since it seems to be sort of a rare and not a collectible bike. For me it’s got sentimental value though since my dad bought it brand new.

Anybody have ave any leads for a good decal source?
Old 04-23-19, 08:46 AM
Sdmorris78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here are pictures of the decals currently on it. Paint is in okay shape mostly but lots of chips on the chain stays and paint rubbed off by brake cable and shift cables.
Old 04-23-19, 08:53 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
If you've already tried the usual suppliers and had no luck (Velocals, Greg Softley, etc.) you might have to bite an expensive bullet to get custom decals made one-off. One guy who will sometimes do this is Gus Salmon who I think works out of Florida, I've heard some good reports of his work from others, I cannot vouch for that. He occasionally posts to the CR List, so you might track him down there, or just Google him.
I used a different supplier in the Midwest to have some custom decals made but I had drawn the files myself so he was just doing the pre-press prep for his machine and the printing, which went just fine and a reasonable price!
I typed before seeing your pix but you have some foil/mylar decals there which ARE available from some custom printers but will narrow the field
Old 04-23-19, 09:19 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
If you've already tried the usual suppliers and had no luck (Velocals, Greg Softley, etc.) you might have to bite an expensive bullet to get custom decals made one-off. One guy who will sometimes do this is Gus Salmon who I think works out of Florida, I've heard some good reports of his work from others, I cannot vouch for that. He occasionally posts to the CR List, so you might track him down there, or just Google him.
I used a different supplier in the Midwest to have some custom decals made but I had drawn the files myself so he was just doing the pre-press prep for his machine and the printing, which went just fine and a reasonable price!
I typed before seeing your pix but you have some foil/mylar decals there which ARE available from some custom printers but will narrow the field
Going to be tough.
The seat tube PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) graphic I think as I recall has an embossed shield at the center. All can be done for a price. A reasonable sum in relation to the value of the bike? no.
Old 04-23-19, 10:10 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
The paint on the frame looks pretty good. The Araya decal is a missing some areas. If it were my bike, I would get out my fine brush and paint the missing spots in. That includes the Araya decal. You skills with a brush or your confidence with a brush might not be the same, however, you can try it out on some paper or something else before you do it on the bike. You have nothing to loose by at least doing on scrap material first.

For the paint match for the blue some of us use nail polish. I prefer Testor's paint, however, I have to blend it to get the right color. This takes some time too. The paint match does not have to be absolutely perfect. If it is off a little, you won't notice until you are really close to the bike. Even then, it looks better then a rusty, or missing paint spot.
Old 04-23-19, 10:47 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
'Twere it me, i'd keep the paint, and just get new Araya down tube decals. Everything else looks fine. I put new decals over the original paint on my '76 Colnago.
Old 04-23-19, 11:00 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
I vote touch up the paint chips with model paint and leave it be. It's in good shape otherwise and it's only original once.
Old 04-23-19, 11:56 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
I'll echo the people saying keep things as they are with minor fixes and suggest that the patina - or wear and tear, if you prefer - are a large part of what makes this "Dad's bike," and removing them would lessen that. On the other hand, a full mechanical overhaul while keeping the rest intact would preserve the reminders of his years of riding it, and I suspect this would bring you more pleasure over the long haul.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 04-23-19, 01:42 PM
Sdmorris78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone - lots of good ideas. I may just keep the frame as is although I am also in the process of putting on new wheels - still 27” but CR18 instead of the steel chrome originals. It’ll still be 126 spacing. Then I’m replacing the steel coteries crank with NOS Chorus 10 speed and cartridge bottom bracket. Then Chorus 8 speed brake/shifters on a 7 speed shimano freewheel.

I think it will still retain its original charm but will be a lot more fun to use which means I’ll ride it more.