Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Converts

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-01, 09:08 PM
technogirl

Bikes: Trek 4500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Converts

Hey, just wanted to let y'all know that my hubby bought a bike last week and seems to be hooked on riding! We've rode together three or four times last week, and I think once this week, and he really seems to enjoy it. He too, get's kind of bummed when we can't go riding before it gets dark.

Anyway, he bought himself a Trek 4500, which was a pretty sweet mtb. I have some envy, since his bike is way lighter than mine. He was actually thinking of getting me a new bike, like his for my birthday. Okay, I wasn't expecting that at all, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money just yet. Maybe next year...

It's pretty cool that he likes to go with me now to the LBS, and just browse around. It's pretty fun and neat to have a biking buddy like him...even though he does like to race me at the end of our ride without telling me it's a race!
Old 07-14-01, 09:25 PM
Dirtgrinder
Dances with Rocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's really great Technogirl. A built-in riding buddy!
My wife doesn't ride but with kids that might be an advantage to me. We'd be fighting over who watches the kids while the other goes riding!
P.S. Go for the new bike while you can, he might change his mind!

To become a registered member of BikeForums Click Here
Old 07-14-01, 09:39 PM
RainmanP
Mr. Cellophane

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can see it now. Next will be a computer with cadence counter. Then a heart rate monitor. Let the games begin. Might as well go over to nashbar.com to see if they still have their Gen 2 HRMs for $39.99. I'm warnin' ya, you'd better get that one now or he will be tryin' to convince you he needs the $350 Polar that downloads to your PC real time while you are still riding and makes coffee for you in the morning.

Rainman

Last edited by RainmanP; 07-14-01 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-14-01, 10:32 PM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, that is really neat. I wish my wife would bike with me. After spending her childhood on a bike, though, she says she is tired of bicycling.

Technogirl, you are lucky. I hope he catches the bike fever like you. Maybe you can get him on the BF.C
Old 07-15-01, 05:53 AM
orguasch
riding a Pinarello Prince

Bikes: Pinarello, Prince and an FP5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
technogirl,
that's great, my wife, doesn't know how to ride, been trying all these year teaching her how to ride, its a no go, I am happy for you Technogirl......
Old 07-15-01, 09:28 AM
aerobat
Love Me....Love My Bike!

Bikes: Bikes: Giant hybrid, Trek 4500, Cannondale R800 Some commuting 20mi/day, mostly fitness riding - 20-50 mile rides

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's great Techno, I've got a Trek 4500 also, and they're nice bikes.

My SO rides with me too, and it is nice to be able to do that together.
Old 07-15-01, 09:40 AM
J.R.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the same problem as Dirtgrinder. Wife thinks she might be interested in bikes and I would love to encourage it...great exercise, quality time together, more understanding of why I want to spend time/money at the LBS but, we have a three year old. Too young to ride with us, pretty big for behind the saddle seat and the places/times I ride would not be safe for her in a trailer.
Old 07-15-01, 12:14 PM
JonR
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by J.R.
...but, we have a three year old. Too young to ride with us, pretty big for behind the saddle seat and the places/times I ride would not be safe for her in a trailer.
Hmmm. I have a strong feeling there's a satisfactory solution to this problem. Being lifelong single, I'm not the best to come up with it. Come on, you family men and women on the forums! Help this family bike together! :dance:
Old 07-15-01, 12:51 PM
nebill

Bikes: '76 Schwinn Paramout (Liberty) and an '89 Paramount (ol' Blue)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great news, technogirl! I am happy that you will have a friend to ride with...just be gentle with him at first! How great to be able to share your experiences with someone who will actally understand what you are saying!
As one who also does almost all of his riding solo, I know how nice company can be! Enjoy!
Old 07-15-01, 03:14 PM
fubar5
0^0

Bikes: Redline Monocog,Surly Crosscheck, Lemond Reno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So thats why you haven't been posting very much!!!
Old 07-15-01, 03:19 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Hey Technogirl, that's great news! Congratulations!

Chris

That is all.
Old 07-15-01, 11:20 PM
technogirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dirtgrinder
P.S. Go for the new bike while you can, he might change his mind!
Thanks Dirtgrinder! I'm really working on that...who knows...maybe an early birthday present??
Old 07-15-01, 11:43 PM
technogirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your great thoughts! Yes, Rainman, I have a feeling that he'll be getting the latest gadget for the bike. We just have to figure out who needs it more! He'll have to make sure it downloads to the pc and dispense his Diet Pepsi (he hates coffee)!

Hey, Mike, he's definitely caught on to the bike fever. He wants ME to go on a bike trail this Friday. Yes, that's super-scaredy cat me. Well, ya know, gotta try it out. We'll see how that goes...as far as posting...well, he's a bit on the quiet side, but who knows. Maybe I can get him to log on and post something. He's already had me ask about the bike computer thing...

J.R., maybe your daughter is old/big enough for the tag along bikes that attaches to the seat post of the adult's bike? I don't know if you've seen those yet, but I remember seeing them at a tour I did with my friend once.
Tag A Long Picture

The little kid was doing fine, but he got a bit ansy after awhile since it was a long tour. Hey, I'm still trying to get my hubby to hitch up a trailer to HIS bike so I can just kick back with a sodee and chips!

I'm pretty lucky that my son is old enough to watch my daughter for a short time that we're out for a ride. Otherwise, they'd be off to grandma or my sister's house for an hour! I'll have to find out what other parents are doing with their kids,too...that definitely becomes a problem when you can't find a sitter.

Fubar, yup, I've been kind of busy riding almost everyday. Started this week off really well. I rode with my friend early this morning for about 20 miles (?) and then later this evening with my hubby. I think I almost done him in on one hill...I was telling him to take it easy. I got to remember to pace with him next time! Doh! I was really trying to go easy, Nebill!

Last edited by technogirl; 07-15-01 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-16-01, 07:06 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by technogirl
Hey, just wanted to let y'all know that my hubby bought a bike last week and seems to be hooked on riding!