Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Los Dos - $1300 Fair Price

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Cannondale Los Dos - $1300 Fair Price

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-09, 10:57 AM
publius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale Los Dos - $1300 Fair Price?

My wife and I are interested in tandeming and have been casually searching for a tandem for some time. I came across this one on Craiglist and wanted to get reactions about the price. I've seen newer tandems for cheaper, but the owner seems to have upgraded some of the parts so I want to make sure it's in the right ballpark. It is definitely more than I wanted to spend, but if it's worth it I might be willing to do so.

Description:

- Road type drop Handle Bar
- Road type Stoker Handle Bar
- Specialized Body Geometry front seat
- COSPORTS Gel Stoker Seat with Shock absorber seat post
- Shimano XT mountain bike type Brakes
- Shimano STX RC Front Derailleur
- Shimano XTR Rear Derailleur
- Shimano 105 road type Gear Shifters
- Sugino Fuse 500 Cranks
- Sunrims Rhyno Lite Rims
- Invert 2K 26¡¨x1.5¡¨ Tires
- Shimano XT front and Rear Hubs
- MT. Zefal (France) quick release fenders
- Jandd Mountaineering rear Luggage Rack
- Vista 300 tail light
- Trek Radar Cycle Computer
- 5 water bottle cages
- Diatech Zoom fully adjustable Handle Bar Mount
- Cannondale NG301 Cage Mount Air Pump
- Cannondale Stoker Bag

Pictures at https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bik/1061630750.html

Last edited by publius; 03-06-09 at 11:43 AM. Reason: add question mark to title
Old 03-06-09, 06:17 PM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW, you can check many of the archived Cannondales for specs and so forth. Based on color you might even get close on the year. I would doubt it's as new as mentioned, possibly built up or bought as a leftover in 98.

It is an equipped bike, if the size is good and condition is nice, you could make an offer as it is Craigslist. New Cannondales are reasonable, so consider that too in your offer.

For comparing...

https://sacramento.en.craigslist.org/bik/1061431281.html

https://denver.en.craigslist.org/bik/1062091374.html

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/bik/1061204961.html

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/bik/1059887502.html

Hope it helped.

PK
Old 03-07-09, 05:03 PM
duppie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suggest you read TandemGeek's Used Tandem Guide. It includes a lot of advice to figure out whether the price is reasonable, including a calculator to give a quick indication of a good price
I used it extensively when shopping for a used tandem recently.

Also, we bought our tandem of CL. The asking price was already low according to TandemGeeks guide, yet we negotiated 20% off. So I would give the bargaining a try.

I am by no means an expert in buying used tandems, but from the anecdotal evidence during my own shopping, I did find that attractively priced tandems often move fast, sometimes within 24 hours. So if this one is still for sale (and I have seen it for sale for a few weeks now) it might be one indication that the price is too high..
Just my $0.02
Duppie
Old 03-07-09, 08:17 PM
publius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duppie, thanks. I asked and he said the price was firm, but I have seen it on there for several weeks. It seems like a nice bike, but maybe for $1000 and not $1300. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Since you're in Chicago, any great ideas other than CL for used tandems? I've read about Village Cycle out in Elk Grove and was thinking of going out there in a few weeks as I've heard they often have used tandems.
Old 03-07-09, 10:25 PM
duppie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by publius
Duppie, thanks. I asked and he said the price was firm, but I have seen it on there for several weeks. It seems like a nice bike, but maybe for $1000 and not $1300. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Since you're in Chicago, any great ideas other than CL for used tandems? I've read about Village Cycle out in Elk Grove and was thinking of going out there in a few weeks as I've heard they often have used tandems.
Village Cycle Sport in Elk grove Village is the only place in Chicagoland that I know of that sells tandems and has numerous models on the floor for a test ride. Across the street they have 10+ mile bikepath through a forest preserve, so you can take a safe test ride there (that is where we took our first tandem ride ever). I hear they have used tandems as well, but we never inquired about it, so I am not sure what they offer in that regard.
Not sure where you live, but I used www.craigshelper.com to help in the search for our tandem. It lets you search on keywords based on distance form your zipcode. It makes searching craigslist in multiple cities a snap.
Duppie
Old 03-07-09, 10:53 PM
publius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely go and check them out. If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up getting/price? - just trying to get an idea of their range.
Old 03-11-09, 06:47 PM
publius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: I offered the seller $1K and he thought I was insulting him with a lowball offer and said that, if new, that tandem would sell for $6K - so I guess he's not budging.
Old 03-11-09, 07:41 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by publius
Update: I offered the seller $1K and he thought I was insulting him with a lowball offer and said that, if new, that tandem would sell for $6K - so I guess he's not budging.
Good thing he did his homework before selling.

Just looking at the specs and photo, this tandem probably started life off as a 1997 Cannondale MT900 Los Dos with flat bars and an MSRP of $1,695. A new tandem today with the same grades of components would not command much more than $2,200 tops, including all of his add-ons. There are a lot of good parts on the tandem and the frame is excellent... but it's 11 years old and it ain't red wine or single malt scotch.

Good that you walked away and, no, you didn't insult him. If he had done his homework he should have countered with $1,150 to cover the added value of his fenders and other options and been happy to be rid of it.
Old 03-11-09, 08:04 PM
publius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TandemGeek

Just looking at the specs and photo, this tandem probably started life off as a 1997 Cannondale MT900 Los Dos with flat bars and an MSRP of $1,695. A new tandem today with the same grades of components would not command much more than $2,200 tops, including all of his add-ons. There are a lot of good parts on the tandem and the frame is excellent... but it's 11 years old and it ain't red wine or single malt scotch.

Good that you walked away and, no, you didn't insult him. If he had done his homework he should have countered with $1,150 to cover the added value of his fenders and other options and been happy to be rid of it.
Thanks for that. I thought an offer of ~80% of his asking price was fair, but we had a rather odd email exchange after my initial offer and he's ultimately not the type of guy I'd like to deal with anyway. He sent me a link to a 2009 Cannondale Road 2 (MSRP 2695) and went on to compare his bike to it, trying to convince me of his used bike's superiority.

In other news, after being alerted to it, I really like the Cannondale Road 2; I might have to find some extra cash to get one.
Old 03-11-09, 08:36 PM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TandemGeek

I agree with this 100%. The seller will get over it and with luck he'll get his price.

Keep looking you'll find your ride. For whatever reason there are a bunch of decent looking reasonably priced tandems on ebay and craigslist this past week.

PK
Old 03-11-09, 08:53 PM
publius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've stopped responding to the seller but he keeps emailling me trying to show just HOW NICE his 12+ year old Cannondale is. His latest comparison that he sent me was a 2009 Santana Encore.

Craigslist Seller: "This is Much Closer but still not as much as I have on mine."

I'm not even sure how to respond to that so I won't. I've already told him I'm not interested, but I've never had the experience where he continues to berate me hoping that I'll pay the full asking price. Odd.
Old 03-11-09, 10:06 PM
PMK

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you don't want him to call back, show him this.

https://www.besttandembicycles.com/cannondale.html

BTW, I have no idea who this is or if it's legit, kind of seems to good to be true.

PK
Old 03-16-09, 03:42 PM
duppie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Publius,
I think you lost out on a good deal....Apparently the tandem is in such high demand that he had to raise the price from $1300 to $1500
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bik/1073364843.html
The only reason I can think of why anyone would do that is that he builds in negotiation room, and still end up with $1300....
Duppie
Old 03-17-09, 07:58 PM
publius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by duppie
Publius,
I think you lost out on a good deal....Apparently the tandem is in such high demand that he had to raise the price from $1300 to $1500
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bik/1073364843.html
The only reason I can think of why anyone would do that is that he builds in negotiation room, and still end up with $1300....
Duppie
Old 03-18-09, 05:30 AM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PMK
If you don't want him to call back, show him this.

https://www.besttandembicycles.com/cannondale.html

BTW, I have no idea who this is or if it's legit, kind of seems to good to be true.

PK
Stone cold SCAM! First of all, there is no "famous bicycle provider" headquartered in Miami. Secondly, a "gmail" email address, no phone, no physical address, and all major brand tandems for sale for less than $300 with free shipping?

Update: Web site is registered to chinese company, and resides on a chinese company's servers, (xinnet.com). Headquartered in Miami? Really?
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Last edited by Onegun; 03-18-09 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-21-09, 01:20 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Publius - We sold our Los Dos, same specs as the one you were considering, 3 years ago for $525, having paid $1000 about 10 years previously at Costco. It was in perfect condition and is still going strong in the hands of some friends. $1300 was way over the top IMHO.
Old 03-23-09, 07:56 PM
AndyH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Onegun
Stone cold SCAM! First of all, there is no "famous bicycle provider" headquartered in Miami. Secondly, a "gmail" email address, no phone, no physical address, and all major brand tandems for sale for less than $300 with free shipping?

Update: Web site is registered to chinese company, and resides on a chinese company's servers, (xinnet.com). Headquartered in Miami? Really?

That website is kind of funny... the Cannondale is listed at $289, the Trek at $299, and the Schwinn cruiser at $529.