Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Really Fast Tyre Idears

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Really Fast Tyre Idears

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 04:55 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Voltan
Out of curiousity what makes the Rene more expensive?
Broadly somewhat higher-end construction: the Rene Herse tires have a thinner casing fabric made from finer threads, a higher-tier tread rubber compund (I think), and a bead designed to be tubeless-ready. They're also a fairly low-volume product, and they're sold through a Seattle-based brand rather than coming direct from Panaracer. Panaracer manufactures a lot of non-Panaracer-branded tires, including Rene Herse. If you're comparing the Pasela to the Rat Trap Pass, the Rat Trap Pass is also bigger, which sometimes adds a little cost due to the sheer increase in materials.
Old 05-13-20, 05:16 PM
Voltan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Broadly somewhat higher-end construction: the Rene Herse tires have a thinner casing fabric made from finer threads, a higher-tier tread rubber compund (I think), and a bead designed to be tubeless-ready. They're also a fairly low-volume product, and they're sold through a Seattle-based brand rather than coming direct from Panaracer. Panaracer manufactures a lot of non-Panaracer-branded tires, including Rene Herse. If you're comparing the Pasela to the Rat Trap Pass, the Rat Trap Pass is also bigger, which sometimes adds a little cost due to the sheer increase in materials.
nice one thanks all

i was wondering would the panaracer look silly small on a mtb ? its not a biggie but was just wondering. hoping not as there soooo light
so of these 3 which would you choose and why ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kenda-K84...MAAOSwxspeV1Wf

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-490-143-tread-lite

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Panaracer-P...Tyre_15896.htm
Old 05-13-20, 05:18 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Which is lighter would you say Darth?
Neither of them is light. They were just examples of maximum armor options.
There's less of it. Bike stuff is usually priced this way. For the hard parts it makes sense, you have to make something A LOT better to get it half the weight. But for the soft parts it just seems kind of malicious sometimes.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-13-20, 05:31 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
There's less of it. Bike stuff is usually priced this way. For the hard parts it makes sense, you have to make something A LOT better to get it half the weight. But for the soft parts it just seems kind of malicious sometimes.
Soft parts aren't really any different. If you want to make a tire lighter without functional compromise, you're going to need higher-quality stuff. Like a finer casing fabric, or tread rubber compounds that roll and grip just as well but are longer-wearing so that you can use less of it.

It's not like all expensive lightweight tires are just skimping on tread rubber depth. And Rene Herse isn't really in that boat: for a performance-oriented slick, the centerline tread rubber is isn't unusually thin (casing plus tread at centerline is about 3mm when new, and that's with a very thin casing and no puncture-protection layer). And wide tires are longer-wearing just by being wide; my Rat Trap Pass ELs are the most expensive tire in my stable per tire, but because I get around 5000 miles of tread life out of one, some of the skinny road tires that I use are more expensive per mile. That's... part of how I stomach the cost, I guess. But admittedly, I might be going Standard casing instead of EL if black sidewalls were offered in Standard.
Old 05-13-20, 07:02 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I've been through all these freakin messed up 26" x 2" tires. Some of them are like riding through a glue trap. Slow as hell. Especially with the special "edge tread" or wtf they call it. I discovered these cheap K841A tires years ago. If you pump them up to about 60psi they roll along very nicely. It's all I use on my mountain bikes anymore. They've been making them for years. So, there must be a reason. (They're damn good tires). Sometimes you can find them on sale for around $15 - $20 each.
Old 05-14-20, 08:10 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
This is so interesting I can't believe it's 2 for 50 quid at 440g a pop. So far this is the best of the bunch I think.

Riding on Compass/Rene Herse EL tires is best described as being carried by angels on pillows of air.

Angels don’t come cheap these days.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-14-20, 08:41 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
The fastest tire is the one that gets you there without a flat
Old 05-14-20, 08:47 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
I've been through all these freakin messed up 26" x 2" tires. Some of them are like riding through a glue trap. Slow as hell. Especially with the special "edge tread" or wtf they call it. I discovered these cheap K841A tires years ago. If you pump them up to about 60psi they roll along very nicely. It's all I use on my mountain bikes anymore. They've been making them for years. So, there must be a reason. (They're damn good tires). Sometimes you can find them on sale for around $15 - $20 each.
Only 15 bucks? No one will take that advice that will not make them feel nearly special enough lol
Old 05-14-20, 09:03 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
nice one thanks all

i was wondering would the panaracer look silly small on a mtb ? its not a biggie but was just wondering. hoping not as there soooo light
so of these 3 which would you choose and why ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kenda-K84...MAAOSwxspeV1Wf

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-490-143-tread-lite

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Panaracer-P...Tyre_15896.htm

I was going to say option #1 due to Ramzilla's endorsement, plus 2" wide tires would look more at home on a mountain bike with a suspension fork, IMO.

But option #3 looks good as well, as tires of that width can still do some decent off roading if you need to.

I definitely don't like option #2 as I personally like to lean fairly hard in the turns on pavement. Those side knobs wouldn't inspire confidence with me on the bike. I do consider bicycles as all surface vehicles, so I pick tires accordingly, but with a tread design biased towards the street as my current favorite will show.

I guess it comes down to how much you really want to try light weight tires. It's not like a mountain bike with a suspension fork is exactly light weight in itself, though.

Last edited by FiftySix; 05-14-20 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-14-20, 09:48 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
UK agent for Rene Herse tires is Sven Cycles, Weymouth, Dorset. If you were able to get a test ride you would never look back.
Old 05-14-20, 11:14 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
I've been through all these freakin messed up 26" x 2" tires.
Are you referring to all the other tires mentioned in this thread?

Because I am highly dubious that anyone who has tried a Rat Trap Pass (or any Compass/RH EL tires) would find them "messed up" and go on to recommend the tire you did as "fast rolling".
Old 05-14-20, 11:27 AM
Voltan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Fifty

i am not crazy about the side nobs on option 2 either tbh i was just thinking there lighter than option 1. i would go for option 3 in a heart beat but id im worried there look crazy on a mtb. but ye perfect world id have a hybrid bike as well just atm i cant justify 2 bikes and dont have the space.
Old 05-14-20, 11:29 AM
Voltan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rick after this upgrade i defiantly will be taking a look at your tyres. again will they look silly on a suspension fork?

a part of me is debating the Race King 26" x 2.2 Race Sport. are these tubeless readdy?

long term id like to go for tubeless but if the tyre is as light as say the panaracer i may not bother

Last edited by Voltan; 05-14-20 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-14-20, 11:35 AM
Voltan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i may come see you later this year as im curious rick
Old 05-14-20, 11:53 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Not the lightest but good flat protection. Light tires good for climbing but they are slower on the downhill.
https://www.vittoria.com/us/mezcal-cross-country.html
Old 05-16-20, 07:58 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
i would go for option 3 in a heart beat but id im worried there look crazy on a mtb.
Man, if looks and a limited budget are so important, you should have led with that. The rest of us had the impression you wanted fast tires.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott: