Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I the dinosaur?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Am I the dinosaur?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 10:49 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
[QUOTE=Darth Lefty;21474608]Bah! Double post. Cursed internet provider

Last edited by 79pmooney; 05-14-20 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-14-20, 10:51 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
What does the Rex say? (sung to What does the Fox Say?)

Rim brakes, rim brakes, rim brakes, rim!
DownTube, DownTube, DownTube, shift!
Tubes, tubes, tubes in tyres!
1X, 1X, wut is that?
Gravel, Gravel, Gravel, huh?
Cables, Cables, no batteries to shift!
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-14-20, 10:59 AM
Ti Guy From HI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
yes, welcome to the club
Old 05-14-20, 11:19 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas

1X, 1X, wut is that?
Gravel? What's that? (Bicycles are older than "gravel" . Bicycles are older than pavement.)

Down tube shifting? I learned to drive a 2 X 3 on the floor. (Old Willis Jeep with low range. An early compact. The low was really low. 5 mpg max!) Raced a 2 X 5 on the floor. (DT) Funny, that DT stuff still seems to work. ShIfters on my best bike are 35 years old. Like new.

Sailed the Atlantic on cables. OK, we called them "shrouds" and "halyards". (And I am really glad we didn't have to depend on Di2 to get our sails down in building storms!)

Ben
Old 05-14-20, 11:26 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
That looks like a flying dinosaur. Birds - the dinosaurs that made it. And bats. They go back as far.
Archie dates from the late Jurassic, 150M years ago, about three times as old as the oldest bat.

**** sapiens has been around about a million years. Safety bicycles date from 1876, making them about one million times younger than Archie. Disk brakes were invented much, much later, in 1902.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-14-20, 12:05 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I think that the main idea against disc brake bicycles for some is that it forces people to change/upgrade their equipment, period. They have to abandon older equipment/technology that was working good enough for their needs.The planned obsolescence cycle seems to be getting shorter in everything.
Old 05-14-20, 12:07 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas

1X, 1X, wut is that?
When dads log onto YouTube and discover a meme three years late.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-14-20, 02:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
In the future there will be a rim brake fad for their beauty and simplicity
​​​​​​Beauty?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-14-20, 02:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You may choose to evolve, or be a rara avis

I love their clothing and gear. Most comfortable harness I've ever used.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-14-20, 02:59 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Seven. Which makes it only about 5% the age of safety bikes.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-14-20, 03:00 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
The term "dinosaur" wasn't even a word until it was coined by Sir Richard Owen in 1842 to describe giant reptiles. It's not really a generic term to describe any old animal fossil like people commonly use the term today. (Fun fact: This is why there is no specific mention of "dinosaurs" in the Bible because the Bible predates the term.)

Hence, this is technically not a dinosaur...

Old 05-14-20, 03:39 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Seven. Which makes it only about 5% the age of safety bikes.
I wasn't going to go looking it up. I'm not that much more clued in than your average dad at this point anyway.
Old 05-14-20, 03:46 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Clipped_in
OP, I guess I am a dinosaur too. I'm not a luddite, but I'm not an early adopter either. Like you, I like the simplicity of rim brakes and they are perfectly adequate for my needs. And I do ride a lot in the mountains. Then again, since I'm not racing these days, I ride very high-quality alloy rims, not carbon wheels that seem to be currently mandatory to be a "real" cyclist.

So, ride what you prefer. It's not like rim brake pads and brake cables will not be available anytime soon.
​​​​​​Disc brakes have been available on drop bar bikes for 15 years or more. Only in road cycling does that count as early adopter.
Old 05-14-20, 03:49 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Guilty as charged.
Old 05-14-20, 05:49 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
There is always a resistance to change for some. Imagine the horror some found when the derailleur was introduced. Talk about complex. Way more so than disc brakes, but you don't hear anyone complaining about why all the good road bikes have them.

Having worked on my own motorcycles, I have no fear of disc brakes and certainly do not see them as some incredibly complicated system that requires a ton of maintenance. Swap pads every so often. Change fluid Every couple of years or if they start getting mushy.
Old 05-14-20, 05:53 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yes.
Old 05-14-20, 06:23 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,059 Times in 1,078 Posts
When it's time to buy a new bike, I'm sure there will be options you want, one way or another. Ride what you like.
Old 05-14-20, 07:59 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Rim brakes are sort of like manual transmissions in cars. It will get harder to find them. They will exist but discs will account for 90-95% of bikes. I have 3 road bikes and 1 CX bike. The CX has discs and IMO they are just better. But, rim brakes are no big issue for me. As for cars....you couldn't sell me an auto tranny. Go figure. But, that's a different story.
Manuals still exist cause they can make driving more enjoyable and can directly effect how your car drives. My wife and I have the same mazda minivan but mine accelerates faster getting up to highway speed with less noise and drama and doesn't do any weird up or down shifts when taking the Taconic to Albany and not wanting to slow down for the curves or hills. Rim brakes on the other hand don't really add to the overall experience.

One of the biggest reasons I see the move to disc brakes is the whole obsession with the wider is better direction tires are going in. There are limits to what a road caliper can work with and still have good performance stopping and past that you have to move to canti or Vs which in my experience aren't any easier to set up then disc. I've been checking out a trek for my wife and it comes stock with 32c, on an endurance road, in the dinosaur days that would have been a 25c and your Dura Ace or Record would have no trouble clearing it while a 32 would get stuck on the brake bridge and the new bike can fit up to a 38c. That won't work with any decent caliper so disc is the best way to go.
I also like the fact that I can now build wheels that will last for the life of the bike and maybe just need new spokes every 10-15 years.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-14-20, 08:39 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Rim brakes are sort of like manual transmissions in cars.
More like drum brakes - cheap and easy.

There's a reason any half decent car or MC has disc brakes.
Old 05-15-20, 08:36 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I have rim brakes on my two road bikes and disks on my gravel bike and mountain bike. For me, the improvements and or benefits of disks are that yes, they do work well but not that much better than my caliper brakes on alloy rims. On my carbon wheels, yes disks are an improvement. The really big benefits for disks on bikes, road bikes particularly are that frames can accommodate much larger tires, 700 x 30 or more which is a big benefit for comfort; and the thru axle is stronger/better than quick release. So for me, it is the associated benefits of disks. That said, I am not selling my Merlin Ti caliper or Orbea Orca caliper bikes with four sets of excellent wheels just to now go to disks. It is likely that any new bike purchase will be a disk bike because that's what is available. As for the argument of stocking up on parts for calipers, that sounds pretty thin to me. 1. How often do you change pads or 2. how often do you change cables?
Likes For Fox Farm:
Old 05-15-20, 08:57 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Think about it this way: What do rim brakes do better than disc brakes to justify making both?
As you said, the small aero advantage. I am switching over to discs entirely for my road bikes - have 2 bikes left that are rim brakes: 1 is gonna stay for trainer use, the other is getting sold. But for my TT bike, am going to stick to rim brakes. Not just the aero advantage but because i travel a lot and dont want to have disc rub sucking away precious watts with every turn of the wheel.
Old 05-15-20, 09:09 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Disc brakes have been available on drop bar bikes for 15 years or more. Only in road cycling does that count as early adopter.
There were disc systems in the 70's.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...sc-brakes.html
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-15-20, 09:13 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
As you said, the small aero advantage. I am switching over to discs entirely for my road bikes - have 2 bikes left that are rim brakes: 1 is gonna stay for trainer use, the other is getting sold. But for my TT bike, am going to stick to rim brakes. Not just the aero advantage but because i travel a lot and dont want to have disc rub sucking away precious watts with every turn of the wheel.
TT bikes are interesting... I haven't paid much attention to if any pros are riding disks yet on their TT bikes. Triathletes certainly have embraced disks on their hyper-aero bikes, so I don't see why TT bikes wouldn't follow suit.
BTW, If your disks are rubbing, your brakes might need some love I'd go insane if my brake pads were rubbing on the discs...
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 05-15-20, 09:22 AM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
Though the balance is changing, there are still Dura-Ace caliper-based group sets in the pro peloton. So the sunset of the caliper brake is still a ways off. At this point favoring one or the other seems a reasonable discussion and worthy argument as there are advantages to be had with either. However, having recently transitioned from a 2007 Ultegra caliper to a 2020 Ultegra disc (and not a member of any peloton), I see it as desirable advancement and won't be going back. I'd bet dollars-to-donuts the caliper brake will fade away like down-tube shifters versus STI levers.

But there's a difference between holding off the transition from caliper brakes to disc and... say... demanding a mechanical odometer for your bike.

Last edited by cybirr; 05-15-20 at 09:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-15-20, 09:56 AM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
If the tyre loses traction while braking, it doesn't matter what type of brake one uses. The Anti-lock Braking System was not developed because cars needed more power to stop, but because the brakes had too much power and people didn't know how to use it. We don't need more stopping power, we need people to learn how to use it. The next 'innovation' for e-bikes will definetely be ABS as the riding speed increases and e-bikes merge with electric motorbikes.

The wider tyre trend started with the arrival of mass produced carbon frames and wheels. The imaginary want for 'stiffness' has become too stiff. Enter wide tyres. All of a sudden disc brakes become a 'must and much needed safety item' as opposed to a fit issue. So all this useless 'innovation' and upgrading, just to make a bike more compliant (or flexible) because the bikes of old made of metal were flexible 🙃. The circle is complete now 🙃

My rant is not about the 'want' aspect of it, it's about the 'need' aspect of it. A manufactured need, is not a real need.

However, if having disc brakes gets you out riding, by all means, get riding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.