Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

How common are suspension lockouts?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 06:41 PM
Illinest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I had a cheap mtb in 2004 that I hated for the front suspension. I was trying to figure out if the problem got fixed and I stumbled across a mention.

Aside - Bike buying is tough right now. There's very little available on Craigslist All the Amazon bikes are sold out. Bike shops are all closed.

I was tempted to drive 75 miles to check out this 25 year-old Mongoose I found on CL, but I don't think I'd be happy if I waste a whole afternoon and the bike is junk. Everything closer to me is either junk or way too pricy.
Old 05-12-20, 09:21 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Rigid forks are cheap. Just get rid of the suspension. If you had good suspension you probably would not want to get rid of it though, there is a difference, and you get what you pay for.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 05-12-20, 10:15 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Is there a question here?
Old 05-13-20, 05:11 AM
Illinest

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Is there a question here?
It's right in the thread title.
Old 05-13-20, 05:21 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Illinest
It's right in the thread title.
It depends. More common on some than others.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-18-20, 11:45 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Because entry-level mountain bikes sold at bike shops commonly are used for multiple purposes, including commuting and casual leisure riding, they pretty commonly have fork lockouts on otherwise not especially great forks. On higher end mountain bikes, true fork lockouts are actually a little less common because a true, hard lockout is not frequently helpful for real mountain biking, outside of cross country racing where the ability to sprint out of the saddle is important.

If you never want suspension, I strongly recommend just buying a bike without any suspension as it will be far lighter, stronger, and more reliable.
Likes For cpach:
Old 05-19-20, 11:09 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
As the price increases, enduro and trail bike forks lose their lockouts when they get adjustable compression, because those two features go in the same place. It depends on the model, too. Rock Shox RC dampers had it, Charger does not. Cross country racing forks absolutely do have lockouts and provisions for a handlebar lever. Rear shocks usually have a lever on the side for lockout. Some cheaper ones do not, I had a bike with an X-Fusion that only had rebound adjustment. Some XC racing ones have a remote lockout that goes to the same handlebar lever as the fork.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-19-20 at 11:18 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-20-20, 08:21 AM
Illinest

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
Because entry-level mountain bikes sold at bike shops commonly are used for multiple purposes, including commuting and casual leisure riding, they pretty commonly have fork lockouts on otherwise not especially great forks. On higher end mountain bikes, true fork lockouts are actually a little less common because a true, hard lockout is not frequently helpful for real mountain biking, outside of cross country racing where the ability to sprint out of the saddle is important.

If you never want suspension, I strongly recommend just buying a bike without any suspension as it will be far lighter, stronger, and more reliable.

I haven't come across many rigid bikes so far. I'm a newb and the only things I've seen are some hybrids and some fat tire bikes, but I admit I have been searching in a pretty limited price range. 500-1000$.

The covid situation just changed and I plan to go to a bike shop later this week, so I will finally be able to try a bike rather than just read about them. It's better this way.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
As the price increases, enduro and trail bike forks lose their lockouts when they get adjustable compression, because those two features go in the same place. It depends on the model, too. Rock Shox RC dampers had it, Charger does not. Cross country racing forks absolutely do have lockouts and provisions for a handlebar lever. Rear shocks usually have a lever on the side for lockout. Some cheaper ones do not, I had a bike with an X-Fusion that only had rebound adjustment. Some XC racing ones have a remote lockout that goes to the same handlebar lever as the fork.
Thanks man. I appreciate the education.
Old 05-20-20, 09:23 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Illinest
I haven't come across many rigid bikes so far.
It's not the norm. Marin Pine Mountain and Surly Karate Monkey are a couple of examples.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty: