Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

keeping Busy

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

keeping Busy

Old 05-21-20, 06:11 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
keeping Busy

Being retired, I'm used to staying busy on my own. I usually have some sort of project going on. I also read a great deal but the library is closed so I've been rereading some of my own books including a biography of Ben Franklin and "The March of Folly" by Barbara Tuchman. I've been listening to lots of music as well, mostly classical. Here is a link to a piece by Handel I had not known but like a great deal. I'm astonished that music written hundreds of years ago, sometimes many hundreds, can still speak to us.
I am also astonished, (I have no expertise about this), by the number of musical prodigies and how mere children not only achieve such musical proficiency, but that they understand what the music is trying convey. The next link is to one such child but there are many other such children for those who may be interested.
Old 05-21-20, 09:12 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Are there any “little libraries” in your area? By that I mean a shelf with a roof and usually a door to keep the weather out on a post near the street. In my riding around I’ve found five. My rule is take one leave one. Some are more to my taste than others. I’m currently reading “The Maltese Falcon” which is a real hoot, something I maybe would have never looked for myself. But there it was in the shelf in front of a nearby swim team building. I hope you can find something similar in your area and find a book to read. Enjoy!
Old 05-22-20, 06:38 AM
berner

That is a great idea. I have noticed those libraries. I'll be checking them out.
Old 05-22-20, 06:50 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
Reading to me is like push ups for the brain.It opens up the world, past and present. I loved reading about ole Ben Franklin, what an interesting guy. I never knew. Some of our founding fathers had interesting lives and there is plenty published books that tell of more than the stuff we were taught in school. I am reading a book now about the history of the bicycle , got to love those velocipedes . The French and English had it going on and it was slow to start over here in the states. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 05-22-20, 06:51 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Just because a piece of music is hundreds of years old, it doesn't mean it can't be as immediately "accessible" as this deceptively simple tune by Bach is. For me anyway, YMMV.

Old 05-22-20, 07:41 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
Reading is good. I'm not an avid reader, I read in spurts. I may not read for 8 months and then for 2-3 months I'll go on a spree and read everything I can get my hands on. Right now I'm sticking to non-fiction. I've burned out a lot of genre's like Sci-Fi, Sci-Fantasy, Super-Spy, Seal Team 6 sort of super hero black ops guys, Existentialism, Satire. For some reason right now I seem to be leaning towards WWI non-fiction.
Old 05-22-20, 02:39 PM
berner

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Just because a piece of music is hundreds of years old, it doesn't mean it can't be as immediately "accessible" as this deceptively simple tune by Bach is. For me anyway, YMMV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KialZHRdD7A
I really like classical guitar and flamenco guitar. I have quite a few videos book marked and and listen to them frequently. This link to to a video of a fine Spanish guitarist. She has the classic profile of a Greek statue.
Old 05-23-20, 07:21 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
My wife is an avid reader. I would read more, but I am working particularly hard this quarter, teaching two undergrad classes and three graduate courses. We both love so-called classical music, and I am thankful for the talented members of the upcoming generation who are ably keeping it alive. What I probably miss most in the COVID-19 era is attending live concerts, operas, plays, and church services. We chose our current church 30 years ago because of its very strong music program, including a superb pipe organ. On that note, (so to speak), if anyone wants to hear what promises to be a great (or swell) organ concert, set your browser to encinitaschurch.com next Sunday (31 May) at 6pm PDT. If you have an audiophile quality sound system with a good subwoofer, all the better.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-23-20, 09:57 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts