Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb outer pocket on Bullitt bike - How much weight can it hold?

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 05-22-20, 08:29 PM
mattkime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I'd like to mount a couple of bags behind the box on my bullitt bike (as shown). The ortlieb outer pocket looks like a good choice but it says it only holds 2 lbs. This seems a bit low. I was hoping the bag could hold a u-lock and a flat kit. I've looked into bullitt specific bags but they don't make sense due to the box.

Is the 2 lb specified limit on the outer pocket bag something I should worry about?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 05-26-20, 02:00 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
The bag was designed to hang of other bags. I assume there is a max weight so you don't cause tears where the bag mounts to another bag. But of you mount the bag with the weight sitting on the frame I would not be concerned with the weight of a lock and a flat kit. I would probably add something to stiffen the floor of the bag.
Old 05-26-20, 02:05 PM
mattkime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you, Harhir, thats what I suspected but its good to hear from someone else.
Old 05-30-20, 01:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cool

I have a Brompton-Ortlieb 'O' bag they used 2 small outer pockets, on the back, i replaced one with one of their flat pack water bottle cages..
you have room, mount several and don't put more weight in any one of them than you feel comfortable doing..
mount the U lock with a separate set of velcro straps Or maybe an Abus Bordo Granit 6500, folding link lock in it's pouch?

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-30-20 at 01:52 PM.