Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Bought a bike unsure if its the right size

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 05:03 PM
Sarina

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So i am new to biking. Its been a while since I rode a bike. And I bought two FX4s and they gave me a small and it feels a bit small. Im 5’7 with an inseam of 31-32. Did they give me the wrong size because they only had a small in stock? I feel like medium would have worked better it feel uncomfortable riding it when i turn the pedals
Old 05-26-20, 05:21 PM
h20man

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will let others give more info but my wife just bought a Trek Verve 2 small, for context she is 5'2. I'd bet you are better off with a medium.
Old 05-26-20, 05:56 PM
SuperDave

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Your question is as much about fit adjustment as it is size. Being new, there are subtleties to fitting a bike that you may be as-yet unaware of. Forgive me if I write something you're already familiar with.

First: Your seatpost should have a mark towards the bottom indicating the maximum extension it's capable of. Play with this height adjustment until you have what you consider a "comfortable" leg extension when pedaling - this can be begun while standing still, propped against something and pedaling backwards, and you then move onto the road to fine-tune it. This is a fitment relationship directly related to frame size which you can't alter. Other things can be altered if this works out for you. The closer you are to full extension of that seatpost when you have a comfortable pedaling motion, the more likely you are to need a larger frame. We're all different - you and I are the same height, but my inseam is shorter than yours - so there's no "one size fits all" answer. Especially when the height of your seat has downstream effect on your relationship to the handlebar - higher seats increase forward lean angle, for instance, and this may not be comfortable for you. That is, however, something which can be played with, although in most cases requiring the addition of or replacement of parts.

Also be aware that bicycle size guides use an "inseam" number that is likely to be longer than your pants inseam, because you measure it somewhat more, um, tightly than a pants inseam. My "riding inseam" exceeds my "pants" inseam by an inch and a half, and complicating that even more is the fact that we all prefer to wear our pants differently.

So figure out first where you like your seatpost on this specific bike the best, and we'll address the rest of it after. You'll also note a subforum here dedicated to bike fitting, in which can be found more information than any rational human being could ever want on the subject.

Honestly, you are probably on the upper end of leg size for that frame. Doesn't mean you can't make it work nicely for you. Your longer inseam for your height tends to indicate that the other important dimensions on the bike might be better suited to your leg - torso size relationship.
Old 05-31-20, 04:01 PM
Nitrius

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar issue last week when I bought my first bike in many years, got a Large bike, I'am 177cm(5'8 or something?) Anyway rode the bike home, and to work the next day, and I soon felt that the size was not correct, so I sent the store an email asking if it's possible to change, so I got a Medium instead, no problem, and it felt better right away.

So I would say that if your unsure if you got the right size, and you have the possibility of changing, I would defiantly do that.
Old 05-31-20, 04:21 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarina
So i am new to biking. Its been a while since I rode a bike. And I bought two FX4s and they gave me a small and it feels a bit small. Im 5’7 with an inseam of 31-32. Did they give me the wrong size because they only had a small in stock? I feel like medium would have worked better it feel uncomfortable riding it when i turn the pedals
At 5'7", a small is likely too small, as that is a bike made for someone closer to 5'" to 5'4". At 5'7", you probably need a medium. It makes me mad that bike shops are so greedy or clueless that they would sell a customer an obviously wrong sized bike.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 05-31-20, 07:09 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
At 5'7", a small is likely too small, as that is a bike made for someone closer to 5'" to 5'4". At 5'7", you probably need a medium. It makes me mad that bike shops are so greedy or clueless that they would sell a customer an obviously wrong sized bike.
Agreed. Don't let any more time pass and get back to the shop asap and request a size upgrade.
Old 06-05-20, 01:17 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Heh. A few years ago, I was bike shopping and tried out a Specialized Vita (now Sirrus); I stood over the medium, and while the cockpit felt comfortable, the top tube was nestled snugly against my pubic bone. I pointed this out and asked to try a small, but the sales kid (they're all kids now; when did this happen?) insisted that the med. should fit me, the chart said so. Finally the owner, Jen, told him to get me a small, because if it didn't fit, it didn't fit. One must be polite but insistent when bike shopping. I ended up going with the Liv Rove, and regretted it within a week. C'est la vie.

All of which is to say, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. The OP should take the bike back for either a proper fitting or an exchange.