Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Building two Brompton clones

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Building two Brompton clones

Old 01-03-19, 11:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
see or Do?

Cut off , notch, add a QR band, then put a smaller tube inside, for adjustable height.. ?

It's what I have had, on both Bike Fridays... factory done.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-03-19 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-03-19, 11:44 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Perhaps getting off topic, but adding to 12boy's post, I would like to see an adjustable stem.
That's easy, you just have to look! Eerder Metaal telescopische stuurpen voor Brompton
Old 01-03-19, 11:55 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I just wonder whether we are set for some version of the series such as

First foldie purchased in Singapore by this newbie

Cautionary tale - Flamingos (Brompton knockoffs)...

time to *sell* the Flamingo (Brompton-esque folder)

with my anticipation heightened when hearing about a glued nut. In any case there is no rush, if there is something to be learned we will hopefully learn it. For the moment we can seat ourselves comfortably . Nail-biting of one sort or another may come later

Last edited by 2_i; 01-03-19 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Fixed URLs
Old 01-03-19, 12:21 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Yes if they made them in China they would probably be half the price...
As I've said before, they could've probably knocked a couple hundred quid off the price if they'd moved the factory from London to Hull.
Old 01-03-19, 03:10 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut
That's easy, you just have to look! Eerder Metaal telescopische stuurpen voor Brompton
Thanks, looks to be easier if you live in Germany. If it was after market purchase without having to send them my fork, I might do it.
Old 01-03-19, 03:47 PM
berlinonaut

Thanks, looks to be easier if you live in Germany. If it was after market purchase without having to send them my fork, I might do it.
I'd assume he could send you a modified new stem as well - but obviously this is far more expensive as you have to buy the stem. Just ask him.
But other than that I am not totally sure about the usefulness of this mod today. It was initially developed by Steve Parry in the 90ies to achieve front suspension (by using a suspended seat post as a stem) and straight bars. At that time only the M stem existed. Today there's S,P,M and H, so pretty much everybody can find a fitting factory stem. I even own such a modded stem, based on an old MK2 stem but did not use it until now.

Last edited by berlinonaut; 01-03-19 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-03-19, 05:19 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut
I'd assume he could send you a modified new stem as well - but obviously this is far more expensive as you have to buy the stem. Just ask him.
But other than that I am not totally sure about the usefulness of this mod today. It was initially developed by Steve Parry in the 90ies to achieve front suspension (by using a suspended seat post as a stem) and straight bars. At that time only the M stem existed. Today there's S,P,M and H, so pretty much everybody can find a fitting factory stem. I even own such a modded stem, based on an old MK2 stem but did not use it until now.
I wonder why Brompton chose not to go with an adjustable stem.
Old 01-03-19, 06:44 PM
barok5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raxel
Mine are 1271gr (for main frame) and 461gr for S-stem. I have seen pictures of ti frame that weighs as little as 1100gr, and S-stem as little as 380gr (maybe special ordered ones).
So 1.2~1.5kg saving over stock steel ones.
Hi Raxel. Where can one make special orders of a 1100 gram titanium frame? Can you share the link of the pics? Thanks!
Old 01-03-19, 06:54 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
You could order one from Ebay
Old 01-03-19, 08:28 PM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
One thing to clarify - 3sixty bike is NOT a random noname clone. It has proper dealership and distribution network and covered by warranty, just like brompton.

Originally Posted by barok5
Hi Raxel. Where can one make special orders of a 1100 gram titanium frame? Can you share the link of the pics? Thanks!
Those sellers accept groupbuy with specific finish and tubing options (they are build to order, after all) and I guess lighter ones are made with slightly thinner tubings.
Old 01-04-19, 11:12 AM
fietsbob
Banned

not German,

He is in NL

you could fly there with your bike , AMS airport is sell connected to surface transport, have a bunch of mods done , and fly back
Old 01-04-19, 11:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I wonder why Brompton chose not to go with an adjustable stem.
You know .... USA has personal injury lawyers to take a contingency % of the settlement, fees, no money down..
Users wont get it secured properly ride off and hurt themselves and blame the company
Rather than take personal responsibility ..
Old 01-05-19, 11:14 PM
benedictpayot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seeking advice

Hi, I tried to send a message but it won't let me. I recently got a Birdy Classic but realized I can't really take it to the bus with me, being on the bulky side. I'd like to seek your advice whether you would recommend the 3Sixty folding bike for someone who needs a bike for the first and last mile (around 3km each way). I planned to sell the Birdy to get a Brompton maybe but you know how expensive they can get. I'm thinking of getting the 3sixty and keep the Birdy. I've been seeing threads about the potential dangers about the rear weld etc but I'd like to take it from you since you've actually used it. What would be your recommendation? Have you also tried your builds on kind of rough roads?

Hoping to hear from you! Thanks!
Old 01-06-19, 03:03 AM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by benedictpayot
I've been seeing threads about the potential dangers about the rear weld etc but I'd like to take it from you since you've actually used it. What would be your recommendation? Have you also tried your builds on kind of rough roads?
The brazing line of 360 frame is not as clean as UK Brompton but it's total BS to call it dangerous. They use better material than UK one (4130 cro-mo vs cheap hi-tensile steel) and overall better components as well (one-piece crank, two bolt seatpost, CNC ez wheel etc).
Also the bike has been available in my country for more than a year now(with quite a number of buyers) and had no issues so far.

On the other hand, I have seen many people reporting issues with their expensive Brompton CHPT3 edition (painting issues, tire bursting after days of riding, steerer tube deforming etc.) Potential dangers?
Old 01-06-19, 03:59 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
No clue about CHPT3, but I have been over a number of new bikes, for myself, family or friends, and none has been as out-of-the-box reliable as either of our M6Rs. I am going through upgrades, but none of these has been forced on me, unlike with other bikes.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 01-06-19, 06:50 AM
benedictpayot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The brazing line of 360 frame is not as clean as UK Brompton but it's total BS to call it dangerous. They use better material than UK one (4130 cro-mo vs cheap hi-tensile steel) and overall better components as well (one-piece crank, two bolt seatpost, CNC ez wheel etc).
Also the bike has been available in my country for more than a year now(with quite a number of buyers) and had no issues so far.

On the other hand, I have seen many people reporting issues with their expensive Brompton CHPT3 edition (painting issues, tire bursting after days of riding, steerer tube deforming etc.) Potential dangers?
Thank you for your reply. Can you give some review about the riding experience on not-so-smooth roads and going up/downhill? Or maybe just an overall one. If you can also share pointers to make the bike lighter. According to my local retailer, the stock configuration is at 12.87kg so it's kinda on the heavy side and I'd have to cross a footbridge every day if ever I'll pick it up and use it for bimodal commute. Would really appreciate it. Thank you!
Old 01-06-19, 05:27 PM
misakosic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cleaver!
Old 01-08-19, 06:17 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
You know .... USA has personal injury lawyers to take a contingency % of the settlement, fees, no money down..
Users wont get it secured properly ride off and hurt themselves and blame the company
Rather than take personal responsibility ..
Ridiculous! There's no reason to not have an adjustable stem, except just because Brompton didn't want to.
Old 01-11-19, 02:40 PM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 12boy
I really would like to ride a full Ti or a chromo Brompton to the point of seeing for myself the difference provided by the weight loss and shock absorbency of different frame models. On the other hand I thoroughly enjoy riding the one I have as is. I could list some changes that I'd like to see.... V brakes, the ability to run wider tires, a wider rear triangle for more gearing choices, but even so, it is still good. Being almost 70 I see this bike as lasting as least as long as I will and I have tinkered with it enough to be able to do all the maintenance it might require with the exception of the rear triangle hinge spindle and building wheels. I do look forward to the wheel building at some point but I'd rather pay to have the rear hinge done.
It's NOT the ride quality which Bromptons are known for. It’s the compact fold.

Brompton's Achilles heel has always been the weight, which Raxel addresses. Berlinonaut just doesn’t get it, or just doesn’t understand what is really at stake: Brompton's design is copied because it’s a good design. But NO ONE tries to copy its weight!

(Say "No!" to $2,000 boat anchors!)
Old 02-06-19, 09:53 AM
absint0o

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Raxel,

Where did you buy those 3sixty bikes?
I live in Europe i would like to buy one!
is it really more cheap than a Brompton?
They've cutted any corners when building the bike?
They use hub for the 3 speeds version of they use "normal gears"?

Thank you!
Old 04-04-19, 03:40 AM
berlinonaut

Smaller size of the rider, not the parts. I did not say anything about the build quality or that parts made in Asia would generally be of bad quality as this would be absurd. Just that the designers sometimes seem to have only/mainly their home-audience in mind - very much the same issue as the sunglasses-example you are mentioning.
Old 04-04-19, 03:45 AM
berlinonaut

Originally Posted by absint0o
Hi Raxel,

Where did you buy those 3sixty bikes?
I live in Europe i would like to buy one!
https://www.bikeforums.net/20852264-post13.html

Originally Posted by absint0o
is it really more cheap than a Brompton?
They've cutted any corners when building the bike?
They use hub for the 3 speeds version of they use "normal gears"?

Thank you!
Yes, probably, don't understand the last question.
Old 07-14-19, 08:26 PM
Brompton_X

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon, Tern, Birdy

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm currently working on building two Brompton clones (Actually done building the first one, and transferring parts to the second frame for now). Two have slightly different dimensions (3sixty one is a copy of old Taiwan Brompton and EasyTi is based on current Brompton) but most parts are compatible.
Please get your data correct. 3Sixty is NOT a Taiwanese company. It is a Chinese company based in Shenzhen in China.
3sixty.kr

Neobike is the one from Taiwan, not 3Sixty.
Old 07-14-19, 11:19 PM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I would like to say that the tubular material used and the welding/brazing details should be evaluated separately.

You may have good material properties for the tubular, but shoddy welding/brazing may result in breakage. (Case in point are the Tern failures.)

​​​​​​​
Old 04-25-20, 01:15 AM
Brompton_X

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon, Tern, Birdy

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dahoneezz
Is the motor chinese bafang motor? I thought they did internal development with Williaams F1?

At the end of the day, it all about the ride. With such a small wheel, I doubt that the CG will be that much higher than if placed at bb. I have never ridden the e-brompton, so I have no idea how it rides. But with the motor config on front wheel, I think its possible to swap out the wheel and put a normal wheel so you can still use it like a normal brompton. Don't know whether you can take out the battery and used the bag for groceries though.

To do motor at bb, will mean a totally new and different bike. (Like Bosch config.) Just imagine the domino effects of trying to keep track of inventory, spare parts etc.
No, the motor is from Taiwan's BESV. The motor is not even a custom made for Brompton. They just buy whatever existing solution BESV had and put it on the Brompton. I have a e-Brompton but then I test ride the BESV and thinking this is way better than my e-Brompton. Mainly because the motor is on the rear wheel and so much more smooth. Too bad they don't sell the folding one in the US. I hate to buy e-bike from overseas because of the lithium battery regulations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.