Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Super Short Rider ISO First Folder

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Super Short Rider ISO First Folder

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 08:58 AM
caro13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could definitely stretch my budget for something like this, especially considering I'd have to put in a couple hundred extra for the Dahon Mu to add in a carrying case, aber hallo, rear rack, etc. And the size is perfect. But unfortunately, from what I can tell, the Pocket Crusoe is just able to be disassembled to fit into a case, but cannot be folded/unfolded on the spot? Having trouble finding much info because it seems to be an older model that is no longer available at Bike Friday.
Old 05-05-20, 09:28 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by caro13
Could definitely stretch my budget for something like this, especially considering I'd have to put in a couple hundred extra for the Dahon Mu to add in a carrying case, aber hallo, rear rack, etc. And the size is perfect. But unfortunately, from what I can tell, the Pocket Crusoe is just able to be disassembled to fit into a case, but cannot be folded/unfolded on the spot? Having trouble finding much info because it seems to be an older model that is no longer available at Bike Friday.
So the way these bikes work is, yes, they disassemble easily for travel. I had the NWT before my pakiT - basically same model. The base of the seat mast has a QR. Open it and the rear triangle rotates under the main tube. You use a piece of velcro to hold it in place. Very quick - 15 seconds. Then, the stem mast (with the handlebars attached) comes off with a quick release. It fits over the main tube and hangs down and you secure it within the same piece of velcro that holds the wheel. That is called the "quick fold". Takes maybe 45 seconds to do it once you get the hang of it. It's fine for popping in a trunk, hiding in a back closet in the house, or picking up and putting in a grocery cart. It's not something you would want to do every day, especially multiple times a day, which is why I got the pakiT - I fold somewhere between 4 and 6 times a day. But if you are mostly using it as a "mini velo" and folding at home with the infrequent fold elsewhere, it works just fine. At 25 lbs it's pretty light weight, too, and has some nice components - Deore, Avid BB7, etc. If you're interested, I can get an email address from the poster on the forum so you can get in touch - no commitment, you can ask all your questions. here's a pic of a Crusoe in a Tesla trunk =) and a video on how they fold is here:
and also there's a pic of my Bike Friday NWT (Crusoe is similar) folded quickly to go in a car. The one big advantage is you never have to reset your seat height since it just folds. Even with the pakiT I have to reset the seat each time I fold; it's a bit annoying after using this system. Brompton/Dahon also require resetting the seat length.

Last edited by linberl; 05-05-20 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-21-20, 07:49 PM
caro13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all! Highly considered the Bike Friday, but ended up going with the Mu D9, an original favorite (will definitely look into a bike Friday in the future). I've done about 50 miles so far, primarily restricted because the reach is long (as expected). BUT my aber hallo arrived today! Along with a water bottle holder, rear rack, and spare inner tubes. I'm still learning how to work with it but I love love love it thus far.

The rear rack is the ArcLite. It was suggested as a universal product for Dahons but doesn't seem to fit the Mu D9 very well. The stays don't line up properly with the holes, and the tubes that attach to the wheels seem too narrow. I haven't tightened the bolts because I don't want to force the aluminum. Anyone had this issue before? And is it ok to stretch the rack to fit around the frame? Have not reached 10 posts yet but will add pics when I can!

Last edited by caro13; 05-21-20 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 08:17 PM
linberl

Hi all! Highly considered the Bike Friday, but ended up going with an original favorite (will definitely look into a bike Friday in the future). This is my Mu D9! I've done about 50 miles so far, primarily restricted because the reach is long (as expected). BUT my aber hallo arrived today! Along with a water bottle holder, rear rack, and spare inner tubes. I'm still learning how to work with it but I love love love it thus far.

The rear rack is the ArcLite. It was suggested as a universal product for Dahons but doesn't seem to fit the Mu D9 very well. The stays don't line up properly with the holes, and the tubes that attach to the wheels seem too narrow. I haven't tightened the bolts because I don't want to force the aluminum. Anyone had this issue before? And is it ok to stretch the rack to fit around the frame? Have not reached 10 posts yet but will add pics when I can!
I have the arclite on my Mu Uno - will post some pics later tonight. Congrats!!!!!
Old 05-21-20, 10:33 PM
linberl

Ok, here is a pic. I did have to slightly spread the arms at both ends to attach, maybe pull them half an inch at most. I am pretty sure the Mu's all share the same basic frame.

Old 05-21-20, 10:51 PM
caro13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Ok, here is a pic. I did have to slightly spread the arms at both ends to attach, maybe pull them half an inch at most. I am pretty sure the Mu's all share the same basic frame.
Awesome thank you. Funny stickers Good to know I can safely pull the arms a bit. Does yours sit at an angle as well?
Old 05-22-20, 09:23 AM
linberl

Awesome thank you. Funny stickers Good to know I can safely pull the arms a bit. Does yours sit at an angle as well?
Theft is an issue where I live and the Mu is my "lock on the street" bike (I would never lock my Bike Friday up, it stays in my hand). So the stickers are just an attempt to confuse any potential thieves cruising for brand name bikes. My rack sits perfectly flat level except it might be just a tad higher in the back end. I haven't measured it out, that is just eyeballing it. Theoretically, if your mount holes are in the same places you should be fine. There might be 2 holes on each wheel, make sure you use the same one on each side ;-)
Old 05-24-20, 08:01 PM
caro13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 99% sure I have it mounted using the proper holes, but the angle is fairly noticeable and I've had to be careful about how I attach my bag so I'm not kicking it while pedaling.

Another issue I've been having is that my aber hallo prevents me from adjusting the handlebar position for folding, which means the handlebars stick out and block the front wheel from spinning when folded, so I'm not able to roll it. Anyone have suggestions for folding with added attachments? I feel like my fold/unfold process still takes me 1-2 minutes and I'd like to cut that down.
Old 05-24-20, 08:09 PM
caro13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I've just reached 10 posts, so here is my folder! Still working out various quirks but I'm VERY fond of it.

Old 05-24-20, 10:11 PM
linberl

It looks like your rack attaches exactly like mine. Can't tell from pic - is it slanted sideways or fore-aft? And, yes, I have to mount bags at the very back to avoid kicking them. That's an issue with folders sometimes. I've seen rack "extenders" if it's really a problem for you.
Folding with the Aber Hallo isn't something I've done, but hopefully someone has experience with this - or call Thor and ask. The bike looks SWEEEEET!!!!!!