Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

REI CO OP Sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-20, 04:11 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
REI CO OP Sale

REI CO OP sale. 15% off CO OP bikes through the 25th.

I like these guys, and some of their bikes are excellent. Just a heads up. No affiliation with the company.

I am looking at one of their bikes but it has to drop more. Anyway.......
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 05-15-20, 04:43 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
love their sale rack but one has to frequent the retail store to be able to pounce when the good stuff shows up seasonally. what bike are you eyeballing?
Old 05-15-20, 04:56 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker

I like these guys, and some of their bikes are excellent. Just a heads up. No affiliation with the company.

Why should they have to drop their already good prices? Are you attempting to drive a cooperative business into bankruptcy? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 05-15-20, 05:31 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Why should they have to drop their already good prices? Are you attempting to drive a cooperative business into bankruptcy? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT
Their prices are rarely competitive on other than REI gear, IME.
Old 05-15-20, 06:34 PM
Pugs2xLove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts

Get a part-time job with them and take advantage of the employee discounts. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-15-20, 06:34 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Their prices on the big brand names - North Face, Patagonia, Peral Izumi, Shimano, etc. - are pretty standard, the same price you'd pay at any other upscale retailer. That passes the test for 'competitive', IMO, not counting the 10% discount members get.
Old 05-15-20, 06:41 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
North Face, Patagonia, Arc'teryx, Pearl Izumi are expensive no matter where you go unless you are a bargain shopper like myself and scour the Internet year round looking for deals. They are there if you look hard enough at the right sites and times.
Old 05-15-20, 07:21 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
When I was looking for a new bike for the wife I compared 3 similar bikes, Trek, Giant and Co op and the Co-op was really only competitive if you got the member discount. Price was within 5 bucks of the other two but the parts weren't as nice.
Old 05-15-20, 07:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I have an REI credit card. Already earned $111 to spend next year. Or I can take it in cash. Earned over $230 last year.
Old 05-15-20, 08:31 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by philbob57
Their prices on the big brand names - North Face, Patagonia, Peral Izumi, Shimano, etc. - are pretty standard, the same price you'd pay at any other upscale retailer. That passes the test for 'competitive', IMO, not counting the 10% discount members get.
Its not a 10% discount. It’s a 10% coupon at the end of year for the amount you purchased that year. You get $20 if you purchased $200, etc....
Old 05-15-20, 08:35 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
When I was looking for a new bike for the wife I compared 3 similar bikes, Trek, Giant and Co op and the Co-op was really only competitive if you got the member discount. Price was within 5 bucks of the other two but the parts weren't as nice.
And when I am comparing bikes I look at how the bike is made and the frame geometry and how the bike fits as well as the COMPONENTS. And Yes, COMPONENTS are important. They make different level bikes, with different components.

And what do you do if the bike is uncomfortable, and/ you don't like the bike. You have one year to return it for a refund. And that is not just for the CO OP Bikes. (As long you have the membership which is a one time $20 purchase)

I like the ADV 3.1. There are others they make that are quite nice.

I have no idea why some poster brought up clothing. (I never buy clothing in these places, only thrifts when lucky, or used on Ebay)

I live very close to an REI, bike by it daily, and stopped in with frequency before the **** hit the fan.

If you are not near one it might not be worth the effort, But if you are it's an option.

And they occasionally have clearances on other models, and that is what I am waiting for.

Check their big stores. More deals.

One in DC is three floors. (This is not my local store)

And yes, the dividend. 10%. If you are buying a more expensive bike it's nice, along with the aforementioned return policy.

Last edited by StarBiker; 05-15-20 at 08:47 PM.
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 05-15-20, 08:49 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have an REI credit card. Already earned $111 to spend next year. Or I can take it in cash. Earned over $230 last year.
Just imagine with as much as you post you got that kind of deal on here......
Old 05-15-20, 08:50 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

And when I am comparing bikes I look at how the bike is made and the frame geometry and how the bike fits as well as the COMPONENTS.

And what do you do if the bike is uncomfortable, and/ you don't like the bike. You have one year to return it for a refund. And that is not just for the CO OP Bikes. (As long you have the membership which is a one time $20 purchase)
Don't understand why I would need a year to determine if I like it. With any bike geometry matters, as well as the quality of the contact points. How it is made is really a moot point when comparing to Trek and Giant as all three in the price point we were looking at probably came out of the same Giant factory in China unless Giant stopped making entry level treks that are from China. That being the case the Co-op didn't really match up as a great deal. Ultimately we bought a closeout on a C-dale and saved over 200 +tax over all three and that was a great deal.
Old 05-15-20, 09:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Just checked rei website for curbside pickup in Massachusetts but there aren’t any locations too bad cuz we’ve got one approx 10 miles away - an easy ride
Old 05-16-20, 04:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Just imagine with as much as you post you got that kind of deal on here......
Make sense when you post. It would be appreciated.
Old 05-16-20, 07:23 AM
Steve B.

Don't understand why I would need a year to determine if I like it. With any bike geometry matters, as well as the quality of the contact points.l.
You likely don't unless you're a complete newbie and cannot diagnose what's wrong after 3 mos of riding, then this return policy works well.

Or you get a great deal on a mt. bike at Christmas, but cannot ride it till March thanks to a lot of snow on the ground.

Not sure about your LBS's but mine do not let you order a bike then take it for a test ride on the local trail system. It's a parking lot spin. With the REI policy, you can buy it, test ride it, hate it and return.

It's really the best bike return policy in the business, something I wish the LBS did.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-16-20, 07:29 AM
Steve B.

Don't understand why I would need a year to determine if I like it. With any bike geometry matters, as well as the quality of the contact points.l.
You likely don't unless you're a complete newbie and cannot diagnose what's wrong after 3 mos of riding, then this return policy works well.

Or you get a great deal on a mt. bike at Christmas, but cannot ride it till March thanks to a lot of snow on the ground.

Not sure about your LBS's but mine do not let you order a bike then take it for a test ride on the local trail system. It's a parking lot spin. With the REI policy, you can buy it, test ride it, hate it and return.

It's really the best bike return policy in the business, something I wish the LBS did.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-16-20, 07:30 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
Get a part-time job with them .
They laid off many of their employees mid-April, due to the obvious.
Old 05-16-20, 07:48 AM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
My wife and I walked in to REI Christmas week to pick up some winter gloves and get my wife some hiking shoes. The had a 2019 Synapse 105 se in my size for $880. I resisted the deal that day but went back and got it the following day during my lunch break.
Likes For Just Mark:
Old 05-16-20, 08:25 AM
koenbro 

Bikes: 1994 Trek 520, 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1962 Ideor Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
This, 100%.

If price and "deals" is ALL we care about we will drive good stuff out of business and all we are left with is WalMart and Chinese junk. When all is said and done, you get what you pay for. REI sells quality stuff and they need our support to continue to serve us. Quality of life matters, as does the quality of the community you live in, not just accumulating junk or "scoring deals" (whatever that means).

Last edited by koenbro; 05-16-20 at 12:17 PM.
Likes For koenbro:
Old 05-16-20, 11:43 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by Steve B.

I am far from a complete newbie, have road bikes for months, put up said bike for a few months, went back to the same bike and found it uncomfortable.

But yes. Everything else is spot on.

My local REI had a customer who bought a Novaro around the time they were phasing the name out. Late last year after riding it very little over a few years one of the chainstays cracked.

He returned the bike, and not only did they honor his return, he got a brand new Salsa out of the deal!

That's why I mentioned I like these guys!

Also they don't attempt to treat you like an idiot, or act rude.

I was looking for a white seat for a bike because I like how the white color reflects the summer sun. You can't always park the bike in the shade, or if you are waiting at a red light and not seated it does not get hot, or as hot as a dark seat. I had a guy at an LBS ask what I would want a white seat for?

I had another one say, ah it's not to bad out as long as you get out early. I cycle to get around you a**hole!

I had another shop get sh**y with me after I made an appointment. He half heartedly apologized. And his tech won't tell you anything like it's a guarded secret.

I don't get any of that from REI.

(My only problem with the bike I am interested in is I really am not interested in drop bars of any kind, and they will charge to replace them. So I may not buy anything, I would like to buy something pre-owned but there is nothing around here realistically priced, and with closures, it's hard to find anything in the wild, especially without a car, and thrifts are now ridiculous, so nothing in those places anymore)

Last edited by StarBiker; 05-16-20 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-16-20, 01:29 PM
Russ Roth

When I was looking for bikes for my kids for Christmas they pointed out the awesome fat bike with 20" wheels, the stupid thing looked heavy when we spend time on the trail and weight matters for a kid who's not even 60lb. I told him too heavy and after a quick pick up told him it was at least 30lb. He argued with me as I flat out told him too heavy to the point he had to get out the scale to prove me wrong and that it was a light bike. 32lbs and some ounces later I informed him I really was looking for a bike that is less then half my kid's weight and just left. I shop there from time to time, probably spent well over a grand there last year on camping equipment, but honestly have never been impressed by their pricing or their bike department; they're just good for checking out all the outdoor equipment I think I want and getting it if they have it.
Old 05-16-20, 02:05 PM
StarBiker

When I was looking for bikes for my kids for Christmas they pointed out the awesome fat bike with 20" wheels, the stupid thing looked heavy when we spend time on the trail and weight matters for a kid who's not even 60lb. I told him too heavy and after a quick pick up told him it was at least 30lb. He argued with me as I flat out told him too heavy to the point he had to get out the scale to prove me wrong and that it was a light bike. 32lbs and some ounces later I informed him I really was looking for a bike that is less then half my kid's weight and just left. I shop there from time to time, probably spent well over a grand there last year on camping equipment, but honestly have never been impressed by their pricing or their bike department; they're just good for checking out all the outdoor equipment I think I want and getting it if they have it.
But more posters on here are not having this experience.

You have to look at bikes. Don't let a clerk dictate anything to you!

My local REI had a manager I disliked. I though he was a rude ass*ole. Eventually he was gone. He was a local, and was disappointed with his job choice. That's his problem!
The new current manager, who has worked for the company for a while, and was a manager at the same store at the same time is completely cool.
If I see him outside of the store, not anywhere near the store he speaks.

The point is ass*holes are everywhere. And unfortunately we all have to deal with them. We can even become one sometimes......

I would not buy a new kids bike. They are everywhere.
Old 05-16-20, 09:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Its not a 10% discount. It’s a 10% coupon at the end of year for the amount you purchased that year. You get $20 if you purchased $200, etc....
Its not an immediate discount, but an eventual discount is still a discount.
sending in a rebate back in the day is a discount, even if not immediate.

Also, it can be a coupon/credit, but it neednt be that.

This is a distinction without a difference.
Old 05-17-20, 07:01 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its not an immediate discount, but an eventual discount is still a discount.
sending in a rebate back in the day is a discount, even if not immediate.

Also, it can be a coupon/credit, but it neednt be that.

This is a distinction without a difference.
Agreed, just as long as folks understand that it's only a coupon worth 10% of whatever you spent last year. That's not a 10% discount off whatever you buy this year. OTOH, it does make it worthwhile to buy at REI and it is a factor during purchase to know you get back 10%. As well and a bonus for being a member, they give members only 20% off on Outlet items and such. That too can be a good deal at times. I picked up a Co-op 2 person tent from the outlet once, cost me like $70.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.