Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Front suspension forks on a Brompton?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Front suspension forks on a Brompton?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 11:56 AM
chagzuki

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the convenience of my folder but agree that the ride quality is in many ways significantly worse.
Old 07-12-10, 12:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'd say you should buy the bike designed around the suspension feature ,
Moulton or Birdy are examples ..

or forget about a suspension fork and ride your Brompton, If You already have it, as is.

Retrofit fork is a non starter.. Though maybe the factory Brompton Titanium fork
will have a little elasticity and springiness, because of what its made of.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-12-10 at 12:28 PM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-13-10, 03:59 PM
coolio

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
And yet there are still only a handful of fully suspended bent trikes made and very small quantities sold. Not much of an incentive for a bike company to made a radical shift in their design and manufacturing plans. Fully suspended 2 wheel bents have been around for ages and similarly a few people have bought them, but they remain a niche item in a niche market because most people prefer the lower cost, lower weight and simplicity of non-suspended bents.
In terms of the U.S. mass market (xmart and the like) I'd be willing to bet that most new bikes sold today have some sort of suspension. By this I mean those hybrid uprights with a suspension front fork and some with a suspension seatpost. And, I'm not counting those cheap MTBs that have at least a front suspension fork. In the main, these are weekend riders that won't really put their bikes through the paces that people who frequent the BF forums would, though. However, they'd probably very satisfied in what they buy and the price they paid for their bikes.
Old 07-13-10, 10:38 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by coolio
In terms of the U.S. mass market (xmart and the like) I'd be willing to bet that most new bikes sold today have some sort of suspension. By this I mean those hybrid uprights with a suspension front fork and some with a suspension seatpost. And, I'm not counting those cheap MTBs that have at least a front suspension fork. In the main, these are weekend riders that won't really put their bikes through the paces that people who frequent the BF forums would, though. However, they'd probably very satisfied in what they buy and the price they paid for their bikes.
I'd be willing to bet that most bikes bought at department stores/walmart by adults don't get ridden at all. Just like all those tread mills and gym memberships that gather dust....so I don't think there is any point looking at that data and surmising that a feature is of any value because people bought them. Secondly these bikes are sold for bottom dollar which means they have zero relation to the bikes we are talking about like a Brompton - which can easily exceed $2K when you bling it out...not even getting to the point of designing/building/selling a fully suspended Brompton. My final point is people buy those bikes not because they made a calculate choice based on performance vs their needs...they bought them because they were there buying pantyhose and happened to walk past the bike section - the colour was nice and price right - and it made them feel like they were doing something concrete about getting fatter and fatter each day. They would be just as happy with an equally well designed and executed rigid bike with balloon tires.
Old 07-15-10, 08:35 AM
grounded_kiwi

Bikes: Velotechnik Grasshopper fx, Brompton, Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
+1 - having ridden a few bikes with small wheels [16" & 20"] through the centre of town with all the crap roads and debris you find in any large town I can say that I would not qualify the ride as abysmal...in fact I often ride my small wheel bikes preferentially because I enjoy the ride so much.
Adding suspension to a Brompton is really a waste of time IMHO! I have a Brompton 6-spd and it is truly a wonderful piece of engineering for what it was really designed for. (i.e. commuting and using public transport) For longer rides I prefer my Velotechnik Grasshopper-- only slightly bigger wheels (20") but recumbent with front and rear suspension. It also has a Rohloff hub and disk brakes. I find the biggest danger when returning to the Brompton is the comparatively deficient brakes! Although the Grasshopper folds in half it's no Brompton in terms of folded size (L96xW60xH70 cm) It all comes down to "horses for courses".
Old 07-15-10, 09:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Changed brake shoes on my Brompton... older bike, CLB made single pivot calipers,
Kool Stop Salmon Continental molded shoes, a bit different from the shoe/padholder that CLB designed due to a threaded boss on the pad holder.
But cutting a strip out of an aluminum pie pan, folding it over, and wrapping it around the molded in stud on the KS pad, worked fine, just needed to get the stud in the center of the slot in the brake arm . and a bit wider flatwasher..
Kool Stop pads are a good upgrade for any rim brake .
Old 04-27-20, 11:52 PM
rezo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marada
I just wanted know if anyone has had any luck fitting front suspension forks to a Brompton? I was looking at some 16” wheel child bikes the other day and noticed that many had front suspension forks. Surely it would be possible to cannibalise a kid’s bike and make something up for the Brompton? Alternatively what about taking the front suspension system off a Birdy bike and reengineering it to fit a Brompton. Has anyone ever tried anything like this? I know Steve Perry has done a handlebar stem suspension, however I don’t know if anyone has ever done anything with the front forks?
10 years have past since this post. I came up with the same idea recently and was looking for information, ended up here.
So did anyone actually tried this and had any luck?

I was looking at Prevelo's HEIR FORK for 16inch wheels, it is quite attractive, but is it theoretically doable (despite of the weight and the look..etc, just whether it is mountable or not).

Last edited by rezo; 04-28-20 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-02-20, 07:39 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Great thread, oldie but goodie because of its thoughtful discussion of several topics.
Handling, fetishism, novelty , thoughtful comments and pure riding, with several great lines summing things up well.

One of my surgery professors once said, "Whenever you see more than one approach to a problem, it means that nothing in particular is working very well."
The standard diamond frame bike hasn't been around for 130 years because of the soul crushing war on inspiration creativity and diversity.
That said ,
at what point does the addition of more than vestigial suspension push a 16"bike back towards 20"weight fold and handling?
And does suspension add only to very specific task customization?
There are some streets I dread on the 16"s, but that's why I have other bikes, and take other roads.
Old 05-02-20, 03:12 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Some people mounted a Birdy (or a Frog) suspension fork on a Brompton.

Old 05-02-20, 05:24 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
There are reasons some people have more than one bike - because no single bike can do everything perfectly. I guess most Brommie riders use them in cities and are not riding daily more than 20 miles max. Yes, some people do decide to do longer rides but I doubt they are the bulk of Brompton owners. Brompton markets toward the multi-modal fast fold crowd, not the comfy long distance tourer.

Get a Birdy if you want to tour with suspension and a halfway decent fold. Or put the trekking bars on your Brompton and some cushy tape and buy some gel gloves and call it a day, lol.
Likes For linberl:
Old 05-03-20, 03:27 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
There are several cities in Europe with a lot of cobbles streets.

Riding a Brompton on cobbles is not pleasant at all and you need to slow down if they are bad.

Having a front suspension like the Birdy really help.

Using a Frog (ETRTO 305 smaller wheel version of the Birdy) would probably help to have a better bike geometry (with this fork from a ETRTO 355 Birdy, the front of the Brompton is higher than with the factory fork).

Last edited by Jipe; 05-03-20 at 03:57 AM.