Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Kids Trailer on Mt. Vernon Trail

Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-23, 10:26 AM
Quiglesnbits

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

Does anyone have experience with a kids trailer on the Mt.Vernon Trail? Particularly interested in if anyone has felt like it was safe/viable to ride with a two-seat trailer on the trail, as well as whether the one-way underpass at the memorial bridge has sufficient width to allow passage of a two-seat trailer.

Last edited by Quiglesnbits; 08-10-23 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-11-23, 07:33 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
It has been many years, but I've made that ride pulling my daughter in a two kid Winchester trailer, similar to today's Burley's. No problems with bridge height, trail width or barrier width. The problem has been the horrific tree root bumps south of Alexandria and the crowds on weekends on the north of National Airport stretch.

In recent (early 2022) rides on that trail, lots of improvement in the surface south of Belle Haven but still many bumpy spots. If you are going all the way to Mt. Vernon, that last hill is a workout pulling kids in a trailer!

John P.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 08-31-23, 01:55 AM
celry 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fresh intel from last weekend: the tree roots are also pretty horrific between Rosslyn and Memorial Bridge. If the trailer has good suspension, maybe. But I know I would not enjoy riding in a trailer on that section.

Depending on where you’re starting/stopping, the WOD and even Custis may be a lot less bumpy. Of course the view is different…

Originally Posted by jpescatore
It has been many years, but I've made that ride pulling my daughter in a two kid Winchester trailer, similar to today's Burley's. No problems with bridge height, trail width or barrier width. The problem has been the horrific tree root bumps south of Alexandria and the crowds on weekends on the north of National Airport stretch.

In recent (early 2022) rides on that trail, lots of improvement in the surface south of Belle Haven but still many bumpy spots. If you are going all the way to Mt. Vernon, that last hill is a workout pulling kids in a trailer!

John P.
Likes For celry:
Old 09-01-23, 10:25 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Not to mention the hills on Custis.