Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I need your advice on climbing hills

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-18, 03:51 PM
foggycity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello everyone, i really need your advise. Physical test is coming up and i have to ride about 50 miles total with many hills. One good loop is about 17miles with many short hills and long gradient hill for a total of 1800ft elevation gain. And i have to do ride 3 loops before breaking for lunch

i m a mediocre rider. My current bike is specilized with 53/39 in front and 11/28 in the back.

I have a very hard time to climb those hills. I would like to change/modify whatever it needs to help me out physically. Thank you very much for your sincere.
Old 02-22-18, 03:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
You might consider going with a 50/34 Crankset (or just replace chainrings depending on the crankset) that will help or you can go with a longer cage rear derailleur (assuming yours cannot handle a 32) and put an 11-32 cassette on the back. Also making sure your position and fit is right will help greatly.

If you use youtubes or googles you can search this phrase: "global cycling network climbing hills" and get some great videos to help out on hill climbing.
Old 02-22-18, 04:05 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 85 Posts
Your gearing might be fine, it depends how much you weigh and how steep the gradients are on these hills. Also how long do you have to prepare for this? A week, a month, a few months? How much do you regularly ride now?

Also, you need to practice climbing hills, 3 loops would be 5,400', a decent amount of climbing. With practice you can know how to pace yourself on the climbs. Using a heart rate monitor helps with this rather than just going by feel.

One other word - intervals. They make you stronger, push your cardio and train your body to recover more quickly between the climbing bits.
Old 02-22-18, 04:24 PM
HeHateMe444

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I'd also say try a 50/34 crank with an 11-32 cassette.
Old 02-22-18, 04:28 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by foggycity
hello everyone, i really need your advise. Physical test is coming up and i have to ride about 50 miles total with many hills. One good loop is about 17miles with many short hills and long gradient hill for a total of 1800ft elevation gain. And i have to do ride 3 loops before breaking for lunch

i m a mediocre rider. My current bike is specilized with 53/39 in front and 11/28 in the back.

I have a very hard time to climb those hills. I would like to change/modify whatever it needs to help me out physically. Thank you very much for your sincere.
When is your physical test?
Old 02-22-18, 04:37 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Just pick a gear that lets you comfortably spin up the hills.
Old 02-22-18, 05:25 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
The best way to get better at climbing hills is to climb hills.
Old 02-22-18, 05:45 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
How long have you been riding and when is the test? If you have not done your due diligence in training for the ride, no amount of "tips" will get you over that hill. The only way to get better at anything is consistent practice or maybe an enhancement of some sort, be it biological or mechanical augmentation. or you could get a hidden motor in your bike.
Old 02-22-18, 05:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Far and away the biggest improvement in my hill-climbing came after I decided I loved it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-22-18, 06:17 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I have a very hard time to climb those hills. I would like to change/modify whatever it needs to help me out physically.
At the end of the day climbing hills comes down to your power to weight ratio. Training more to increase power will help as will losing weight. If you can't spin up the hill at 80-90RPM you should consider lower gears.
Old 02-22-18, 06:20 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Best to not even start hill climbing. You'll find yourself looking for bigger meaner hills. Then lightening your bike. Then weighing your food. Then a doped up has been that the government is suing. Wait,some of that not me.
Old 02-22-18, 06:43 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Mediocre isn't probably a good way to describe yourself, that's what I would say about someone who takes too many hits off their inhaler to celebrate.

What do you mean by having a hard time climbing? You're in the 39x28 mashing and gasping?

Or you're in the 39x28 at a comfortable cadence and not too fatigued but you feel like doing 8mph isn't enough?

How much money you got to spend?
Old 02-22-18, 06:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Have you learned out of the saddle climbing? It's not much different than getting out of the saddle to get started from a stop,

you just keep at it longer..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-22-18 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 06:51 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joelcool
The best way to get better at climbing hills is to climb hills.
True enough, but if my low gear was 39x28 I’d be changing something.
Old 02-22-18, 07:42 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Two things; change your chainrings to 50/34 and do more hill riding. If possible, change your cassette to 11-32 or 11-34 (if your rear derailleur can handle it).

-Kedosto
Old 02-22-18, 08:54 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I’m curious as to what type of test this is and what it is for? As for the question, gearing, weight and get in shape by riding hills and doing HIITs.
Old 02-22-18, 11:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
What sort of test requires a 50 mile ride? Even the Army's physical fitness test's bicycle option is only 6.2 miles.

If you're even remotely eligible for a 50 mile bike test, you're already physically capable of doing it. I'm going to assume you're trying out for a spot on a cycling team. The rest is training and the mental game.

Ditto the GCN videos on YouTube. Best you'll find -- concise, well edited, entertaining, with credibility from former pros who are still strong riders, but aimed at any cycling enthusiast. Check out their tips on hill and interval training.

That's what I did last summer. I'm 60, hadn't ridden a road bike since I was in my 20s, and was dead last on Strava hill segments riding my hybrid. Assuming I could even finish a hill without an asthma attack.

I got an older road bike last June, followed the GCN tips on hills and intervals and within a couple of weeks was making progress. By August I was middle of the pack on local Strava hill segments, and better on a few that I train on often. I recently cracked the top ten on one climbing segment, one dominated by local pros and serious amateurs. Yeah, it was wind assisted, but so were all the top tens on that climb. I was just having an unusually god day. I'm never going to be a strong climber, but I was able to improve with focused training.

Your bike and gearing are fine. My bike is an old school steelie, 52/39 and 13-24 and weighs at least 24 lbs, assuming I don't carry a water bottle or tools. Closer to 28 lbs as I actually ride it. Most of my 50-60 mile rides have more than 2,000 feet total elevation gain and our area isn't particularly hilly, mostly lots of roller coasters. A 28T large cog on the freewheel wouldn't make me faster on climbs, just easier. To get faster I'd need to be stronger and work at it a lot harder.
Old 02-23-18, 06:30 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Your gearing might be fine,
I don't think so. Otherwise why would the topic come up? If you have to ask, you need easier climbing gears.

If you have a physical test that you aren't sure that you can complete, slow and steady is more likely to be successful. Don't let yourself get sucked into attempting a pace that you can't maintain.
Old 02-23-18, 06:34 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
What sort of test requires a 50 mile ride?
Sounds to me like a Boy Scout cycling merit badge requirement. I don't think that's unrealistic but it will be a lot more fun if you gradually build up to it. Ride frequently and try to ride a different route every time that you go out. If you do that, longer and faster will come naturally. Cycling should be a joy not a job.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 02-23-18 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-23-18, 07:54 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
www.gear-calculator.com
Put in the gearing you have and see that cadence you are at lowest gear. Then set up the second set with gearing you need to get higher cadence.

The 53/39 chainring combo is more for professionals (or more fit people), for mere mortals the compact 50/34 is more appropriate. But you can decide if you ever use the 53:11 at all and if a 50:11 still would be fast enough. your cadence should be 80-90 for normal riding and 100 or more for quick sprints. When you put that in the gear calculator you see a 50:11 still is very fast unless you have 20" wheels.

Or do what I did and get a hybrid, my lowest gear is 28:36 LOL
Old 02-23-18, 07:58 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
on the downhill, when approaching a hill, go all out. push a big gear down the hill, and shift to an easier gear for up the hill

stand and pedal up the hill

attack the hill before you get to it, build your speed up
Old 02-23-18, 08:59 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Don't upgrades rides, ride up grades. Who said that?
Old 02-23-18, 09:38 AM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3rd'ed; 39 to 28 sounds painful. I would luv to try 34 to 34, but never heard of it for a road bike.

Originally Posted by HeHateMe444
Yeah I'd also say try a 50/34 crank with an 11-32 cassette.
Old 02-23-18, 10:49 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I don't think so. Otherwise why would the topic come up? If you have to ask, you need easier climbing gears.
Don't think we have enough information on the hills involved or the OP's current condition. 4 years ago I couldn't get up a 6% grade near my home in a 1:1 gear without stopping to rest. Now I can do repeats in a 2:1 gear. And I'm just a recreational Clydesdale club rider.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
If you have a physical test that you aren't sure that you can complete, slow and steady is more likely to be successful. Don't let yourself get sucked into attempting a pace that you can't maintain.
Agreed, pacing is essential, he won't make the third lap if he blows it all on the first one. It sounds like the test does have some sort of time element to it, so the other side of the coin is training to be able to sustain the pace needed to pass the test.
Old 02-23-18, 10:50 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
The Gear Calculator linked in post #20 is a very good resource. You can slide chain ring and rear cassette icons around to simulate your current gearing. From that you can get an idea of what gearing you need. Compact chain rings in front of 50T and 34T will be a big improvement over our current setup. On the back, a lowest gear of 32T or 34T will get you to gearing that will handle almost any hill.

It is possible to go to even lower gearing if need be. Touring cyclist carrying heavy loads over long distances frequently have triple chain rings in front with with the lowest gear having 26T or even lower. I'm not a long hauler but I'm an asthmatic old guy. I have a 26T low chain ring in front with a 30T gear in the back and I can climb any hill in my area. Were I living in a mountainous area, the cassette in back could have a 32T or 34T gear.

The Gear Calculator allows you to graphically slide various gear combinations around to see the effect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.