Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Killer whale battery hard case - can it be bought separately?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18, 07:14 AM
Wizzeros

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone. This is my first post, so thank you for being here for others.

I am making conversion into electric bike using Bafang BBS01B and 52V 14S4P battery pack of Panasonic NCR Li-Ions, but would really like to put it inside a hard case inside a frame triangle, as I still want to be able to take a lot of luggage on my city bike. Most of them are too small for my battery, because they have a room for 52 cells, and I need to put in 56...

The only hard case of this type is a Killer whale type, also named as dolphin or sometimes shark, which is a bigger version of a common dolphin style case and store up to 65 cells according to what i have read. I tried to find it everywhere, but saw only whole packs with batteries inside, and cost of 200+ euros. The only place I think I found it is alibaba, but the minimum order is like 10 pieces. It seems that the case does not have any brand name, and is sold with a battery under sellers brands.

So my question is, do you guys know where can it be found? I think that more people would love to have a case, so maybe we could start a group order. Or maybe you know of some other cases capable of storing 14S4P pack? Please let me know what do you think about this.

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: png
dolphin 1.PNG (136.8 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by Wizzeros; 03-11-18 at 10:18 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 03-11-18, 09:19 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
You might ask the people at Unit Pack Power if they will just sell you the case, but it may be more cost effective to buy the entire battery, put in your cells, and use their cells for something else.

I've bought one smaller battery from them, and it seems good, so I'vegot a second one arriving next week,
Old 03-11-18, 11:04 AM
Wizzeros

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much, I have just sent a request. I will let you know if it is possible or not to buy only the case from them. The idea of buying a prepared pack is also reasonable, but still I don't have any other use for a spare battery pack (yet).

Anyway, is there any other hard case for 56+ cells in the market?
Old 03-16-18, 03:52 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, they are available. Search for it.

It might be helpful to understand that many vendors who list MOQ will sell single units at a slightly higher price.
Old 03-19-18, 12:29 AM
Wizzeros

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Nelson37 for the info. Can you give me a hint about the name of this case? I really find it difficult to search for this particular one, especially when I search for "ebike battery case"... I am drowning in the results of searching. I would be really grateful!
Old 03-19-18, 09:55 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have seen them called dolphin, shark, whale, also the chinese word "hailong".

Descriptions from chinese vendors are not what I would call reliable.
Old 03-22-18, 11:16 AM
Wizzeros

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found Hailong I-2 battery case for 61$ including shipping cost, from one of the vendors on Alibaba. Only one out of about 10 vendors agreed to sell only the case and only one piece instead of 10+. This is not the case that I wanted at the first place, but I got some information that the production of killer whale case from the beginning of this topic has stopped. Anyway, this one is also capable of storing up to 65 cells, and I checked that it is just fine to make 14S4P battery pack. I enclose some photos from the internet. Mine will arrive in about a month.
Attached Images
File Type: png
hailong I-2.png (136.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg
e-bike-battery-cells_0.jpg (54.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 04-25-18, 10:02 AM
Wizzeros

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I have received the case and cells. I will post the photos and my review later on, but now I still need to assemble everything and mount it to the bike.

Meanwhile, I am trying to figure out how much voltage I can apply to my controller, but I will start a new topic here if I don't find the answer.
Old 05-17-18, 01:48 AM
Wizzeros

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all your help. Yesterday, I finally managed to assemble the 14s4p battery. I will give it a try this weekend!
Old 05-21-18, 02:48 AM
Wizzeros

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, the battery is usable, but there are some drawbacks. Maybe someone could help me with answering the following questions:

- Will USB port and charge lever indicator work (properly) with 52V? They have their own small PCBs inside to be connected to the battery, but I am afraid they are designed for 36V-48V battery packs. Am I wrong? Basically, I don't need them, but it would be nice to have them working.
- The lock is extremely loose, which causes an enormous noise when riding on most of the roads (not completely flat)... The lock itself is bolted to the case properly, but the mechanism inside is really wobbly. Is there any known way to make it more stable?

If there is someone who has the same problems and solved it, please help! Thank you

Last edited by Wizzeros; 05-21-18 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-21-18, 10:13 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
I haven't had the problem you describe with a "whale" battery or the one on a Haibike XDURO, but provide extra security for the XDURO system by securing the battery to the frame with toe straps. You might try something similar with these or some Velcro arrangement.
Old 05-22-18, 04:03 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I doubt that velcro will be of any assistance, and he does not own a Haibike.

On the PCB - There is 12S. which is 50.4V, there is 13S, which is 54.6V, and there is 14S, which is 58.8. The one that matches your PCB of those three is a crapshoot. It is almost certainly NOT for 10S, which would be 42V. If the lack of functionality is indicated by no lights at all, then the PCB is most likely defective, or wired wrong. If the indicator is something different, you will have to explain exactly how it is "not working properly" for a somewhat more educated guess.

As for the lock rattling, the way to get cheap chinese crap to not behave like cheap chinese crap, is to replace it with something that is NOT cheap chinese crap, or at least was made on a different day of the week in the cheap chinese crap factory.