Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

TREK Emonda crank arm clearance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-21, 12:29 AM
Solarch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bought a 2021 TREK Emonda SLR 7 with Shimano Ultegra Di2 for my 18-year old son who is a development athlete. But I was disappointed by the, practically non-existing, clearance between the right crank arm and the chain that has caused the chipping of the crank arm. When the chain is on the big front disc (52 teeth) and on the lower (heaviest) gear (11 teeth) there's barely any space between the crank and the lower part of the chain (there is a 1mm gap when the bike is on the stand but when my son rides the bike and presses hard on the pedals the gap is zero). The seller says that that's the way the bike was when it was unboxed and suggested to use a washer between crank and frame. But is this right? Has anyone had any similar experience? Because other that this setback the bike is beautiful and powerful. If I made this post in the wrong place please let me know. You can also see a relevant video on YouTube if you enter this ZW2vcDd61bQ in the search box. Thanks.
Old 01-14-21, 01:32 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
A washer between crank and frame won't do much because the chain is exiting the crank. How often is he putting out a lot of power in that gear combo?
Are the scratches down the inside face of the crank arm too or just on the edge?
Likes For znomit:
Old 01-14-21, 06:44 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Video assist
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-14-21, 07:29 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Doesn't sound like you bought the bike from an authorized LBS? Definitely should be a warranteable fix/replacement. Even if you are not the original buyer from a LBS, since this is a 2021 model, this seems would apply in Trek warranty terms, but you really want to get a copy of the original owner's receipt.

Subsequent Ownership
Subsequent owners (second or later) are entitled to a three-year warranty from the date of original purchase from the retailer. Proof of original purchase is required to validate the coverage period.

Otherwise a few things I can think of to check:
Rear wheel dishing off
Jockey wheel cage bent outward
Frame misalignment -- if you walk your bike down and along a straight line, are both wheels on that line?
Misaligned bottom bracket, maybe Hambini could look at for you?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-14-21, 07:52 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Could this be a crank issue? Possibly the crank arm is not within spec? Do you have another crank to use to test and see? Trek is usually pretty good about repairing/replacing Project One issues.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 01-14-21, 09:04 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
It clears the FD cage OK?
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 01-14-21, 01:34 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
You are not the first:

Chain touching crank arm. This only happens with big ring in front and in the 11t. All the shifting is fine and the cassette is lined up with the jockey wheel. Thoughts? Bike is new and not wrecked. : bikewrench (******.com)

I'd push Trek to fix it. In my experience, they are good about standing behind their product.

Edit: site won't let the link to the Red site show or work. But, someone with a 2019 Emonda SLR7 had the same issue. Trek replaced the frame and everything was hunky dory after that.

Last edited by Mojo31; 01-14-21 at 01:41 PM.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-18-21, 12:55 AM
Solarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by znomit
A washer between crank and frame won't do much because the chain is exiting the crank. How often is he putting out a lot of power in that gear combo?
Are the scratches down the inside face of the crank arm too or just on the edge?
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Doesn't sound like you bought the bike from an authorized LBS? Definitely should be a warranteable fix/replacement. Even if you are not the original buyer from a LBS, since this is a 2021 model, this seems would apply in Trek warranty terms, but you really want to get a copy of the original owner's receipt.

Subsequent Ownership
Subsequent owners (second or later) are entitled to a three-year warranty from the date of original purchase from the retailer. Proof of original purchase is required to validate the coverage period.

Rear wheel dishing off
Frame misalignment -- if you walk your bike down and along a straight line, are both wheels on that line?
Originally Posted by colnago62
Could this be a crank issue? Possibly the crank arm is not within spec? Do you have another crank to use to test and see? Trek is usually pretty good about repairing/replacing Project One issues.
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Originally Posted by Mojo31
You are not the first:

I'd push Trek to fix it. In my experience, they are good about standing behind their product.

Edit: site won't let the link to the Red site show or work. But, someone with a 2019 Emonda SLR7 had the same issue. Trek replaced the frame and everything was hunky dory after that.
Thanks for all your comments guys. This is a genuine Trek bike bought directly from the local (Cyprus, EU) dealer. He contacted Trek in Wisconsin and they came back with this idea of adding a washer (only to the right side of the bike). But how can they tell if all these ideas you put down aren't the case? They haven't seen the bike. And the dealer (who is a very cool guy) does not have the experience in this type of bikes (new threaded bottom bracket, Di2, disc brakes etc). In any case, I thought it might be wiser to follow the manufacturer's instructions and if the problem persists, the bike is warrantied so we can always ask for a replacement of any faulty part. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.
Old 01-18-21, 12:58 AM
Solarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by znomit
Please see the video in my original post and also my latest comment on the thread.
Old 01-18-21, 12:58 AM
Solarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sy Reene

Subsequent Ownership

Rear wheel dishing off
Please see my latest comment on the thread.
Old 01-18-21, 12:59 AM
Solarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Please see my latest comment on the thread.
Old 02-11-21, 02:50 AM
Solarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, so here's an update on this issue. The local TREK representative received a proprietary 1mm-thick washer from TREK. He inserted it into the right part of the crank arm and (obviously) we now have a reasonable clearance between the crank armand the chain, about 2mm. Having ridden the bike for many many kms, the problem of the crank scratching the chain never surfaced again. The question though is why should this happen in the first place and also if by slightly changing the symmetry of the left and right distances of the cranks to the centerline of the bottom bracket, we create another problem.
Likes For Solarch:
Old 02-11-21, 03:57 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I think those scratches are from hitting the crank arm on the kerb.
Likes For znomit:
Old 02-11-21, 07:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Good to hear this has been satisfactorily resolved. Your son will not notice the 1mm change.
Likes For shelbyfv: