Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-21, 09:24 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
At my top weight (190) I was 15%, I’ll probably be below 10 at 175
I should get a new scale, but it's low on the priority list. I'm fairly certain that the indicated body composition that it gives me is significantly off. It's says I'm right at 20%, but the eye test with comparison charts says low teens or so. I mainly look to it to see that the composition keeps moving in the right direction, rather than taking the figure as gospel. I look forward to the potential problem of being too lean, but it's not a worry for the next ten pounds, at least.

The place nearby makes a mean Sicilian. They also make what they call “grandma’s tomato pie” which is square pan pizza w/ cheese over the dough, sauce, the. Fresh mozz and basil on top. It’s delightful.
We're spoiled for good pizza variety near us, but it's also fun to make them at home. The kids love to help. We normally have a ton of fresh basil, but... winter. We have one little basil plant in the kitchen window, but my wife keeps plucking leaves off when we have pizza/pasta; she's going to have to lay off soon or it won't make it to the raised bed in the spring.
Old 01-19-21, 09:45 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Shes a perfectionist. BTW she has never wrapped bars before. She watched the park tools video one time and went to work.
If I asked my wife to wrap my bars she’d likely respond with GFY or something similar.

She’s very meticulous and thorough but bike stuff is my chore.
Old 01-19-21, 09:53 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I should get a new scale, but it's low on the priority list. I'm fairly certain that the indicated body composition that it gives me is significantly off. It's says I'm right at 20%, but the eye test with comparison charts says low teens or so. I mainly look to it to see that the composition keeps moving in the right direction, rather than taking the figure as gospel. I look forward to the potential problem of being too lean, but it's not a worry for the next ten pounds, at least.

We're spoiled for good pizza variety near us, but it's also fun to make them at home. The kids love to help. We normally have a ton of fresh basil, but... winter. We have one little basil plant in the kitchen window, but my wife keeps plucking leaves off when we have pizza/pasta; she's going to have to lay off soon or it won't make it to the raised bed in the spring.
same with us and basil in the summer, I have a little herb garden out back with mint, rosemary, basil and cilantro.

For body composition, I use one of the handheld thingies (tech term). I think it’s fairly accurate based on the eye test, the key is just doing it at the same time every day for consistency. I’m not really concerned if the number is 2% off in either direction so long as it’s always the same direction.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-19-21, 10:13 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
A story Pcad would have appreciated. RIP

Old 01-19-21, 10:18 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8262 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
So only coaster breaks are allowed? What’s the thought process about this? Not knocking it just want to know why?
The guy created the series years ago for fun. Courses are chosen with the bikes in mind so nothing too steep up or down but there is usually some pushing. The few people I have talked to about it say it is a lot of fun.
Coaster Brake Challenge (atomiccycles.com)
Old 01-19-21, 10:22 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8262 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
It's so windy right now that it's frightening. The roof is creaking and the huge trees are swinging around. Friend wants to try and ride for pizza but even that area has predicted gusts of 55 mph.
The hill behind the house is predicted to have 70 mph winds.
Old 01-19-21, 10:43 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by big john
It's so windy right now that it's frightening. The roof is creaking and the huge trees are swinging around. Friend wants to try and ride for pizza but even that area has predicted gusts of 55 mph.
That sounds no fun. Unless you are only riding one way with the wind.
Old 01-19-21, 10:44 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Do you use that extra piece of tape they give you?
I use the extra piece and figure of eight it.

Old 01-19-21, 10:57 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts

Mom always made chocolate milkshakes to go with homemade pizza night. I never had store bought pizza until I was out on my own.

Old 01-19-21, 11:20 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Mom always made chocolate milkshakes to go with homemade pizza night. I never had store bought pizza until I was out on my own.
Wait - does "store bought" include restaurants and pizzerias? If so, that's mind-blowing.

The kids are fond of chocolate shakes, too.
Old 01-19-21, 11:22 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Maybe only MoAlpha will appreciate (I know wut wont ), but I also built a RC sailboat. Started as a kit, but did a bunch of upgrades.

All the RC stuff is fun to play with, but I tend to lose interest after a while.
There's a park near us, with a little man-made lake, where people with RC boats will regularly gather. Mostly motor-powered, but a couple sail boats. The kids love to watch the boats when we go for walks down there. For a time, the boy was saving for an RC swamp boat, but he may have forgotten about that... he'll probably remember in the spring.
I grew up longing for a model yacht I could sail on the conservatory pond in Central Park, but those were the days before RC. More recently the Annapolis Yacht Club frostbite series finish is up in a creek, just past a dock where there is always a fleet of RC racers on Sundays. Looks like fun.
Old 01-19-21, 11:34 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,617 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
those were the days before RC.
Did you ever see anyone free sailing?
Old 01-19-21, 11:40 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well. My old transmitter was a Futaba T6XA . Funny you mention the dry cell batteries, I happen to love being able to run my Tx off of 4x AA instead of the old 6 or 8 cell NiCd packs that were in my Futaba. My new Tx is the ubiquitous Spektrum DX6i. I love how light it is, and not having a fragile telescoping antenna is so handy. My old Futaba's aerial has had a bend to it ever since a guy smacked it with his glider one time when I was slope soaring in Kansas

I very rarely flew at an actual field. I got in to the hobby right when the electric park flyer stuff started taking off. I really like how with most of my airplanes I could fly them pretty much wherever.

My dad was really in to control line stunt flying but it never really clicked with me, and dealing with nitro engines was always a big pain. The one nitro airplane I have is a profile 3D based around a .46 engine, but I only ever flew that when I lived with my parents out in rural north Texas. I've thought about converting it to electric thinking that if it's less of a pain to get going I would fly it more, but I just know that would be a bigger project than I think it would be.

I'm also not up to date with the new regulations. Nowadays you have to register any airplane heavier than like half a pound, and I think any airplane you register has to have some kind of transponder in it or will soon have to. That to me is really stupid. Especially for line-of-sight flying.

I always liked the idea of RC cars, but never had a track nearby and I think just bashing around could get boring after a while. I think the little 1:12 scale carpet cars are so cool

Multirotors are growing on me. I never got in to helicopters, but the idea of a 5" racing quad is sounding more and more fun. Not really into the photography side of the hobby, personally, but I like what other people do with it

My dad had a RC sailboat for a long time. Fiberglass hull, and the trigger on his radio would adjust the length of the mainsheet. I never really had a chance to learn how to sail it.
I cut my teeth on control line models. my first wasca German Stuka, it was a cox plastic model. My dad flew it a couple times then I killed it. I was around 8 years old..
For a season k mart was selling these. 049 models of ww1 bi planes, that used a more flexible plastic. We had every kid in the neighborhood in our front yard. I moved on to bigger planes after that. Ringmaster was my last control line model it used a .29. McCoy no carb, wide open. That thing screamed.
The government involvement has soured things for me also. Models are not drones. It is purely a money grab to include hobbyist in that whole F.A.A fiasco. . Its absurd.
Old 01-19-21, 11:44 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Vane steering is still relatively common on long-distance cruising boats because of the power requirements and failure potential of autopilots. From everything I've read, it works well, but I've never seen it in operation except on YouTube. On the other hand, any reasonably well designed boat (model or full scale) can be trimmed, under steady conditions, such that it requires very little steering input on most points of sail and there are solo ocean sailors who will simply bungie the tiller or wheel in position and go to sleep. The idea is to balance the tendency of the boat to head upwind against a few degrees of rudder in the opposite direction. No rocket science involved.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 01-19-21 at 11:52 AM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-19-21, 11:48 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by ls01
I cut my teeth on control line models. my first wasca German Stuka, it was a cox plastic model. My dad flew it a couple times then I killed it. I was around 8 years old..
For a season k mart was selling these. 049 models of ww1 bi planes, that used a more flexible plastic. We had every kid in the neighborhood in our front yard. I moved on to bigger planes after that. Ringmaster was my last control line model it used a .29. McCoy no carb, wide open. That thing screamed.
The government involvement has soured things for me also. Models are not drones. It is purely a money grab to include hobbyist in that whole F.A.A fiasco. . Its absurd.
I had one of those Stukas, much to the ironic bemusement of my German refugee and US WW2 vet father. I flew it once or twice and then killed it by taking the motor apart, after which it would never start again.
Old 01-19-21, 11:48 AM
ls01
he said member

Our next door neighbor used to do free flight gliders. They used a burning wick as a timer to lower the elevator and bring it down. Launched it with 100 ft of surgical tubing.
later he and my dad moved over to R/c.
Old 01-19-21, 11:49 AM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I had one of those Stukas, much to the ironic bemusement of my German refugee and US WW2 vet father. I flew it once or twice and then killed it by taking the motor apart, after which it would never start again.
lol. Yeah I smashed mine trying to fly it in the winter on frozen ground.
Old 01-19-21, 11:50 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
The vane mentioned in that article is pretty much the same as the original vane self-steering systems used in full size boats. Mo is old enough that he may remember those. Some cruisers still use them; however, electronic auto-pilots have really taken over.

I'll bet he has "free sailed" his current boat as well as others. I've sailed mine for as much as 30-45 minutes without having to touch the tiller.

Edit: What Mo said.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-19-21, 11:56 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,617 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
My dad has a Cox Cosmic Wind in his office. One of those things that are nostalgic but he admitted it was an awful airplane. Heavy and underpowered.

He also had a Ringmaster for a long time, such classic lines. If I remember correctly a Gumby figurine was under the canopy. I can't remember what his current competition plane is but I seem to remember it's sized for .55 or .65 engines but his is now electric. Hasn't flown in years though.

I've never flown anything bigger than a .46 stunt plane and it always freaked me out a bit how hard they pulled. Maybe it would be different now that I'm bigger myself
Old 01-19-21, 12:01 PM
ls01
he said member

One of the funniest things that ever happened with the airplanes.
My dad built a Newport bi plane control liner to fly in our back yard. After a flight he kinked the lines, which were fine cables, when rolling them up one afternoon.
The next time he attempted to fly it. Shortly after take off the cables snapped. And the McCoy .19 screaming wide open kamikazed the metal garbage cans and obliterated itself and caving in the side of the trash can.
He had had a bunch of crashes with that plane. At first he was using fishing line as the cables were expensive. Well fishing line stretches, making the plane uncontrollable.
after the 5th crash and repair he figured it out and bought the proper cables. Had one or 2 good weekend flights . Then kinked the cables. Man it was chaos.
Likes For ls01:
Old 01-19-21, 12:14 PM
ls01
he said member

At the flying club, when I was active. We had a big bird event. There was a raffle for a giant scale Taylor craft, arf. Towards the end of the event there were 3 tickets left. I purchased them, 3 for 5 dollars so they could have the raffle. They picked a little girl out of the crowd to pull the ticket. The guy in charge of the raffle said something over the mic. Thanking me for buying the last 3 tickets. I hollered back thanking him for selling me the winner. Holding up one of the tickets I had bought. Everyone laughed....until the little girl pulled that ticket out of that jug. I thought I was going to pass out. That kinda thing has never happened to me before or since. I carried that ticket in my wallet for years. I still have that airplane in the box. Never built it.
Old 01-19-21, 12:38 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I use the extra piece and figure of eight it.
Are you also a belt and suspenders guy?

Old 01-19-21, 12:39 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
That sounds no fun. Unless you are only riding one way with the wind.
KOM opportunity.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 01-19-21, 12:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's been windy as all hell here, too. It has calmed down a bit, but MAN!!! Not sure I'd want to DRIVE in this, let alone ride.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-19-21, 12:51 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by rjones28
Are you also a belt and suspenders guy?

yes but no pants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.