Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

11sp Campagnolo Super Record - I usually work with downtube shifters!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-19-21, 04:18 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts

Hi guys, I usually post more in the CV section since out of the five bikes I own the most recent one is a 2006. I got into cycling by fixing old bikes and actually never really had the chance to work with the more modern stuff. Actually I've worked on the never Shimano groupsets, but never on the recent campy stuff.

Now I just bought 11sp Super Record shifters and derailleurs because the price seemed good and I felt like learning some more stuff. From what I can tell it's the 2010 version of the groupset but maybe someone can clarify this.

I have a few questions on the levers themselves but I think the easiest way to get an answer for me will be to visit my LBS. There's a small side-play the the small lever for instance, and the brake blade seems to get stuck sometimes when I push it down, but since I have no experience with these components it's hard for me to tell if this is actual wear or if this will all fall in place once the shifters are properly installed with cables.

I'd like to know, however, if you guys thought it would be a crime to complete the groupset with less high-end campy components, and what would be your recommendations in this regard. Chorus? Would Veloce be sacrilegious? I know campy stuff is rarely cheap but I'd like to avoid to break the bank. As of now I'm thinking about using the components for a neo-retro build. I have a nice Rossin aero frame that I'd like to turn into a racer. This means I don't necessarily need perfect coherence in the build, but I'd like everything to work well in the end. I'll get to learn in the process and that's the most important part for me.
Old 01-19-21, 05:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Well, maybe 10 years of use, keep your fingers crossed. But hey, it's Campy!
Old 01-19-21, 05:39 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Well, maybe 10 years of use, keep your fingers crossed. But hey, it's Campy!
Is this old enough to be considered CV ?
Old 01-19-21, 05:44 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Probably just old, not C&V.
Old 01-19-21, 05:57 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
Completely rebuildable if needed though, that's the beauty of Campagnolo!
Old 01-19-21, 07:23 PM
jonny7

Originally Posted by jonny7
Would Veloce be sacrilegious? .
Actually I think I'd have to go for the newer Potenza or Centaur to get 11sp. Anybody knows if the newer generations of these groupsets are compatible with older 11 record stuff?
Old 01-22-21, 09:08 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by jonny7
Actually I think I'd have to go for the newer Potenza or Centaur to get 11sp. Anybody knows if the newer generations of these groupsets are compatible with older 11 record stuff?
They're not because actuation ratios changed in 2015.

You'll need to find 2009-2014 derailleurs.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 01-22-21, 09:09 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Completely rebuildable if needed though, that's the beauty of Campagnolo!
Unfortunately Ultrashift small parts were discontinued in 2009 - the same year the shifters were introduced.

You can buy replacement shift units for ~$80 including everything except brake blade, hood, and mounting hardware.
Old 01-22-21, 09:59 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Presuming you’ve done a physical inspection under the hoods and all looks good, I would suggest installing them and checking function before writing them off. Uninstalled, you can hyperarticulate the brake lever, pulling it past where it’d normally stop or past where it would hit the bar, and yeah, there is a notchy or clunky point in there which you never hit when installed. Some play (towards the inside) in the smaller lever before actuating the shift is normal, at least on Chorus and Athena 11spd groups, which I have.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 01-22-21, 10:15 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Unfortunately Ultrashift small parts were discontinued in 2009 - the same year the shifters were introduced.

You can buy replacement shift units for ~$80 including everything except brake blade, hood, and mounting hardware.
Plenty of sources out there still and even folks who do it for a service. I've been able to easily get parts for even the old early 90's 8 speed stuff with no issues.

Of course a proper cleaning and servicing of parts usually takes care of most issues.

Sort of like all the "failed" Shimano STI shifters I come across. I haven't actually had a broken on yet, just plenty that needed a good degreasing and relube and such.
Old 01-22-21, 10:33 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Plenty of sources out there still and even folks who do it for a service.
Please name one where I can buy an EC-SR037. Having spare EC-SR015 springs on hand would also be good.

Unfortunately, Campagnolo stopped selling Ultrashift parts separately in 2009, the first year of production.

Peter Chisholm used to split levers into pieces for separate sale but has since retired.

I've been able to easily get parts for even the old early 90's 8 speed stuff with no issues.
I got rid of my 1997 levers when I couldn't buy a ratchet pawl return spring or complete assembly because those the small parts had been discontinued except for the G-springs and left lever carrier which were used by the 1998-2008 levers.

Those parts are still available.

Of course a proper cleaning and servicing of parts usually takes care of most issues.
It does nothing for the springs which break due to fatigue. I wore out my first Ultrashift lever in just 24,000 miles.

Original 2009 parts catalog:

Second 2009 catalog. The same edit was made for Veloce/Athena/Chorus/Record/Super Record levers. The EC-CE110/EC-RE311 sub assemblies were discontinued later.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-22-21 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-22-21, 10:50 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Please name one where I can buy an EC-SR037. Campagnolo stopped selling those parts separately in 2009. Peter Chisholm used to split levers into pieces for separate sale but has since retired.

I got rid of my 1997 levers when I couldn't, because parts had been discontinued except for the G-springs and left lever carrier which were used by the 1998-2008 levers. Those parts are still available.

It does nothing for the springs which break due to fatigue. I wore out my first Ultrashift lever in just 25,000 miles.

Well for one, Pete's still around and working on stuff. He may have what you need. He's helped ID parts for me, the proper parts at that after getting bad advice from a lot of others on the various forums. I know he still offers to rebuild ergo shifters but can't speak to yours. Like I said I haven't run into any problems yet myself. Maybe I'm lucky?

One surprising source for me has been Bikewagon. I email them about the part number I need and they've been able to come through. This despite no indication on there webpage about having the part.

As to wearing out springs in just 25,000 miles maybe you should try my solution. I ride around 30 different bikes, makes 'em last longer, LOL!
Old 01-23-21, 04:34 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Well for one, Pete's still around and working on stuff. He may have what you need. He's helped ID parts for me, the proper parts at that after getting bad advice from a lot of others on the various forums. I know he still offers to rebuild ergo shifters but can't speak to yours. Like I said I haven't run into any problems yet myself. Maybe I'm lucky?

One surprising source for me has been Bikewagon. I email them about the part number I need and they've been able to come through. This despite no indication on there webpage about having the part.

As to wearing out springs in just 25,000 miles maybe you should try my solution. I ride around 30 different bikes, makes 'em last longer, LOL!
I don't know about 11 speed parts availability but James is right, Peter is absolutely doing Campy lever rebuilds.