Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Want to customize my 90s Trek, would like some opinions!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-20, 11:03 PM
zachleft

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

Just purchased my first road bike! Super excited to ride it but also quite excited to customize it a bit more to my liking. It's a 1990 Trek 1420 in great condition.

I've already made some purchases. It came with clip in pedals (don't have shoes) so I purchased some Shimano M324 hybrid pedals. I also ordered a triangle bag that fits under the crossbar to replace the saddle bag since it's a bit small.

Anyways, I'm quite satisfied with the gear set (Shimano 105) so this is more about the tires (Michelin Dynamic Sport) which are rather thin at 23mm (came from factory with 25mm), and saddle (Wilderness Trail Bikes Speed V) which is old and does not suit my butt well.

I'd like to get some 28mm for a cushier ride and potentially commuting. I'll probably use the Michelin until they fail me, but I've been toying with the idea of getting some tires with yellow or skin sidewalls.

As for the saddle, I'm probably going to purchase a Fabric Scoop Shallow as soon as I decide on black or white. If any white saddle owners could chime in on their experiences that'd be great

As you can see below the frame has a very 90s paint job, which I do love, but leaves me pretty limited in the customization department unlike your white/grey/black bikes.

Here's some ideas I've been kicking around. Current bike has red side walls, others are photoshopped:

Old 04-20-20, 11:09 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
The straight black tires, or the darker tan-walls would be my choice. The bright yellow will become faded and dirty quickly, anyways.

Also, are you completely sure it can fit 28mm tires?

And, this is out of the blue, but in my mind's eye I can see burnt orange bar tape on that bike...especially if you were to choose all black tires

Oh, almost forgot, nice bike!
Likes For Piff:
Old 04-20-20, 11:51 PM
zachleft

Originally Posted by Piff
Also, are you completely sure it can fit 28mm tires?
I...don't actually know. Which part do I measure, and how much clearance is typically necessary?
And, this is out of the blue, but in my mind's eye I can see burnt orange bar tape on that bike...especially if you were to choose all black tires
Now that would certainly be interesting

Old 04-20-20, 11:59 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
i'd be more tempted to leave the saddle, tires and hoods black and do a red bartape to match the "trek/1420/aluminum/usa" graphics red coloring on the tubes.
i can take or leave the red sidewalls but they seem to be a darker red than the red graphics on the assorted tubes so that could be impossible getting the exact red bartape.
Old 04-21-20, 12:03 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
I've always thought c&v bikes with cool looking dark rims deserved gumwalls. I'd deanodize and polish the seatpost (or use another polished one). I like a sexy black stem here if I could find one. And a black saddle. After all that, it still might call for white tape. If not, then black.
Old 04-21-20, 01:06 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Sweet Trek - Love the colors. So of their era, but it is to be celebrated, IMO!

Generally I play matchy-matchy with saddle + bar tape, and stem + seat post. Every bike is different, and depending on the era, it was either normal to have saddle and bar tape not match (older bikes) or have them match (newer bikes). The colorways of the late '80s and '90s bikes (and newer) took some subtlety away and replaced it with bolder themes. So that's the 'sandbox' to play in.

Of the combinations you've posted (isn't Photoshop the best for speculative modification? Nice work), I really like the tan wall tires with the black stem + seat post, and white saddle + bar tape. There is something special about 'doing it wrong' with a gloss black stem and seat post (as opposed to silver/polished), and then going for immediate and full dynamic contrast with the white saddle and bar tape. Black and silver elements are sprinkled throughout the composition, and the tan walls add some needed visual 'rest' from the bold black, white, blue, and red. I will say that the option with the yellow wall tires (same other stuff as mentioned above) would also look good. The blue paint and very red text/graphics want to play, and I think they need more friends to do so.

I do like polished stems and seat posts, but in this case, with the blue and the red being 'medium' values (if changed to greyscale), the polished bits clash with the paint in a battle for middle values. If the paint is yellow? No problem. A deeper blue? Good. A dark crazy purple? Yup. With this blue and bold red, that visual theme is fairly established from the get-go. The polished bits add in a calm and a class that to me seems to run a bit against the bold visual theme set forth by the paint (and wheels, etc).

For tire size, I understand. Everybody's "23" or "25" or "28" are different, which can be frustrating on bikes like these Treks where they built them with tight clearances. Why, I do not know. A nice tire and wheel combo can help the ride a lot. As can a comfortable saddle. So you'll have to do some looking and measuring to see what tire size you can get away with.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 04-21-20, 01:22 AM
zachleft

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
i'd be more tempted to leave the saddle, tires and hoods black and do a red bartape to match the "trek/1420/aluminum/usa" graphics red coloring on the tubes.
i can take or leave the red sidewalls but they seem to be a darker red than the red graphics on the assorted tubes so that could be impossible getting the exact red bartape.

Not too shabby. And a quick google turned up this tape, which is pretty darn close, so it certainly could be done

https://www.jensonusa.com/Specialize...p-Roubaix-Tape
Likes For zachleft:
Old 04-21-20, 01:56 AM
zachleft

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Of the combinations you've posted (isn't Photoshop the best for speculative modification? Nice work), I really like the tan wall tires with the black stem + seat post, and white saddle + bar tape. There is something special about 'doing it wrong' with a gloss black stem and seat post (as opposed to silver/polished), and then going for immediate and full dynamic contrast with the white saddle and bar tape. Black and silver elements are sprinkled throughout the composition, and the tan walls add some needed visual 'rest' from the bold black, white, blue, and red. I will say that the option with the yellow wall tires (same other stuff as mentioned above) would also look good. The blue paint and very red text/graphics want to play, and I think they need more friends to do so.
Yeah it's certainly an interesting look. I found a photo of what I assume are the factory stem and post, and I definitely prefer the black in comparison. Gives it a more modern feel. Though polished silver could look slick as well.

Old 04-21-20, 01:59 AM
zachleft

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I've always thought c&v bikes with cool looking dark rims deserved gumwalls. I'd deanodize and polish the seatpost (or use another polished one). I like a sexy black stem here if I could find one. And a black saddle. After all that, it still might call for white tape. If not, then black.
What would deanodizing do?

And what did you mean by "I like a sexy black stem here if I could find one" if the stem is black already?
Old 04-21-20, 10:50 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by zachleft
What would deanodizing do?
Strip the finish to allow polishing.

And what did you mean by "I like a sexy black stem here if I could find one" if the stem is black already?
I prefer traditional, quill stems (Cinelli, 3ttt, etc.) and think a black one would look appropriate.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-21-20, 03:00 PM
zachleft

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Strip the finish to allow polishing.

I prefer traditional, quill stems (Cinelli, 3ttt, etc.) and think a black one would look appropriate.
What type of stem do I have on there now?
Old 04-21-20, 04:19 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
I've had a white Charge Spoon(made by Fabric) on my Trek for two years now and still love it. Dirt-wise it's pretty easy to clean. It hasn't really stained with any.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 04-21-20, 04:28 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

What type of stem do I have on there now?
You have a quill stem on their now. The stem is whatever company and model it says, but it's not a "traditional" quill stem in the looks-like-a-7 sense. Look up Cinelli 1A, 1E, Nitto Pearl, Technomic, the list goes on. The fact that your (3TTT X Tenos?) black stem is not "sexy" by @SurferRosa 's standards is because it doesn't look like a 7, he just wasn't giving you that extra bit of information (that you needed to connect the dots). Your current stem is MTB or hybrid spec with its positive rise. Traditional quill stems are 72° or 73° (-18° and -17° respectively) and were made for road and touring bikes for decades. MTBs saw the rise of different stems. Other stems obviously can work, they just won't have that look or will muck up a road bike's overall look. People choose different stems for different reasons. Tall stems allow less leaning over and thus more comfort. They generally don't look as becoming on a road bike, but it's what the rider wants.

Looking at other images of Trek 1420s, it appears that stem was standard. Yeah, the '90s and '00s were a time of transition, and stem experimentation was one of them.

Here's a red 1420 with a black "traditional" quill stem. Black stems like that are out there, they just take some looking, if that's what you're after.

Old 04-21-20, 04:32 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
I vote keep the current stem, there's no reason to start him down the dark path of fetishizing components so soon.
Old 04-21-20, 04:44 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I like the current red tires, and here's a suggestion -- black perforated faux leather bar tape (like Fizik) with a thin layer of bright red cellophane or cotton underneath, so the color is visible through the holes. Black saddle, bonus points for red thread or embroidery.
Old 04-21-20, 04:49 PM
zachleft

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
You have a quill stem on their now. The stem is whatever company and model it says, but it's not a "traditional" quill stem in the looks-like-a-7 sense. Look up Cinelli 1A, 1E, Nitto Pearl, Technomic, the list goes on. The fact that your (3TTT X Tenos?) black stem is not "sexy" by @SurferRosa 's standards is because it doesn't look like a 7, he just wasn't giving you that extra bit of information (that you needed to connect the dots). Your current stem is MTB or hybrid spec with its positive rise. Traditional quill stems are 72° or 73° (-18° and -17° respectively) and were made for road and touring bikes for decades. MTBs saw the rise of different stems. Other stems obviously can work, they just won't have that look or will muck up a road bike's overall look. People choose different stems for different reasons. Tall stems allow less leaning over and thus more comfort. They generally don't look as becoming on a road bike, but it's what the rider wants.

Looking at other images of Trek 1420s, it appears that stem was standard. Yeah, the '90s and '00s were a time of transition, and stem experimentation was one of them.

Here's a red 1420 with a black "traditional" quill stem. Black stems like that are out there, they just take some looking, if that's what you're after.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still trying to learn the parts so this was helpful.
Old 04-21-20, 04:56 PM
zachleft

I vote keep the current stem, there's no reason to start him down the dark path of fetishizing components so soon.
It may be too late for me. I've already begun playing around with the idea of silver components...

Originally Posted by noobinsf
I like the current red tires, and here's a suggestion -- black perforated faux leather bar tape (like Fizik) with a thin layer of bright red cellophane or cotton underneath, so the color is visible through the holes. Black saddle, bonus points for red thread or embroidery.
This sounds interesting. Do you have any pics with tape done this way?
Old 04-21-20, 05:02 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still trying to learn the parts so this was helpful.
No problem. It's a lot to take in. Sheldon Brown's website and just looking at a bike parts diagram to get the basics down is a big help. I essentially knew nothing when I started on this path.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 01-18-21, 09:53 PM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
build

I think your Trek is beautiful as is.....you could maybe add a rack to carry beer and groceries ....but .....you gotta have a seat pack or handle bar bag or both....so you can carry your lock ...pump ...spare tube... tools ...your lunch ...snacks ...sling shot....gps ...phone .....earbuds..and sun screen and a million other things you might need on the road............think about a good head light .....i love riding at night.....at least a red blinky so people can see you....
Old 01-18-21, 11:28 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I like challenge with their tan sidewalls but I don't think I ever had nice tires from that time that had tan walls, only the cheaper ones seemed to that I was offered. There were some interesting color options that popped up like green but I think most tires I ended up with were all black.
I've never matched seat and tape but if you want to go more old school and have fun look for some blue, red, white camo or speckle style tape, can't remember if there was just red/blue but I loved through college in the mid to late 90s putting blue/white or blue/black speckle or swirl tape on my road bike, still have the bike and still keep it that style. Currently has 8sp ultegra/600 with blue/black. Harder to find with the newer fancier tapes but def. a retro look.
Old 01-19-21, 09:50 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
It may be too late for me. I've already begun playing around with the idea of silver components...

This sounds interesting. Do you have any pics with tape done this way?
Can you make the rims polished aluminum?
Old 01-20-21, 06:53 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
@zachleft - nice bike!
Your asked about white saddles. I thought they would be cool until I had the first one. It is OK as a saddle but it has a few k miles on it. It was on the Pinarello when purchased a few years ago.
P1040810, on Flickr

I've tried to "restore" it in several ways including white shoe polish and stain without much impact. Did a bunch of research without any solution other than replacement. That is $$$.
Old 01-20-21, 05:15 PM
zachleft

Originally Posted by SJX426
@zachleft - nice bike!
Your asked about white saddles. I thought they would be cool until I had the first one. It is OK as a saddle but it has a few k miles on it. It was on the Pinarello when purchased a few years ago.
P1040810, on Flickr

I've tried to "restore" it in several ways including white shoe polish and stain without much impact. Did a bunch of research without any solution other than replacement. That is $$$.
Certainly has some character! Beat saddles actually look kinda neat to me when the frame is in nice condition. A contrast thing I suppose.