Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is the scariest thing that happened to you while cycling

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What is the scariest thing that happened to you while cycling

Old 10-23-20, 09:35 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I was riding at night, about 10 pm, and I had a group of 7 deer jump out in front of me. To add to the panic, the last one decided it needed to jump over my head. This was not in the outskirts of town, this was in the a very populated and busy section of town. Never saw deer in specific area of town in the 30 years I have lived here.

Also, when the guy in front of me in a paceline decided he wanted to hit his brakes at 28 mph for no reason, what so ever. My wife told me I should have sent all my shoulder surgery bills to him.

Old 10-25-20, 12:17 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Was cruising down a hill at 35 when a deer crossed barely 10’ in front of me. Not even enough time to swerve. Missed it be a hair.

Old 10-25-20, 09:02 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
While descending from Newfound Gap toward Cherokee this past June at about 40 mph, I had a black bear run out in front of me from the left side of the road. Hit the brakes hard and slid almost sideways, missing him to the left by about a foot. Wobbled badly, but kept my bike upright and kept going. Heart started beating like crazy about 5 seconds later.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 10-25-20, 09:38 AM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
About two months ago I was doored that was scary but only for about 1/2 a second then it was just painful.

I bike in the chicago area so I've had tons of close passes and angry drivers but this was the worst. I was riding down a 4 lane road (two each direction) and a semi pulled up right behind me and layed into his air horn, he then passed me close enough to almost hit my elbow. after passing he stopped in the road ahead of me, as I passed him I had some words, he then pulled along side me and wouldn't let me back over to the side of the road, so I'm now blocking traffic. I got a head of him and and he again passes super close with the horn blasting eventually pushing me off the road. I tried and catch up to him to got a photo of plates but he got through a light before I could catch him.

Also those trucks that supply angry dogs to construction sites, when they pass by and the dogs all start passing, eeek gets me everytime
Old 10-25-20, 10:29 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by dougphoto
About two months ago I was doored that was scary but only for about 1/2 a second then it was just painful.

I bike in the chicago area so I've had tons of close passes and angry drivers but this was the worst. I was riding down a 4 lane road (two each direction) and a semi pulled up right behind me and layed into his air horn, he then passed me close enough to almost hit my elbow. after passing he stopped in the road ahead of me, as I passed him I had some words, he then pulled along side me and wouldn't let me back over to the side of the road, so I'm now blocking traffic. I got a head of him and and he again passes super close with the horn blasting eventually pushing me off the road. I tried and catch up to him to got a photo of plates but he got through a light before I could catch him.

Also those trucks that supply angry dogs to construction sites, when they pass by and the dogs all start passing, eeek gets me everytime
Holy cow! That would have scared me poopless. You are a better man than me to hang in there with him rather than bail. You get the brass balls award.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-26-20, 07:16 AM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
It was pretty horrible, I have not biked on that road again.
Old 10-26-20, 01:46 PM
obentwan
Space for rent

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX-5, Trek 8.2 Dual Sport

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I have a couple.

Before the dawn of mobile phones; when riding with a couple of buddies in a very rural area away from any houses, we were strafed by a guy in an old beater Plymouth Valiant. He then turned around and made another close pass coming across the line at us. We then got off our bikes and headed into the trees as he turned around yet again and buzzed by us again and thankfully kept going. It was like a scene out of the movie Dual with that old beater truck.

Another, before mobile phones (yes I have been riding for a few years) I was riding up a hill in heavy woods 1/4 mile from any houses, when I spotted something odd out of the corner of my eye. About 25 yards up in the trees were two pickups in painted in camo, with 4 guys with rifles just hanging out. When I took a second look, something invisible whisked in front of my tire into the bushes and then I heard the rifle report. I then sprinted away, as if I could outrun a bullet, as fast as my legs could go uphill to a nearby house. Knocked on the door and asked the woman to call the sheriffs dept. It took about 10 minutes for the cop to arrive and by then the yahoos had cleared out.

I have about 20 more but not nearly as frightening. Your turn.
Well, I was going to write details about the time I rode over the edge on a MTB trail falling about 10 feet onto a pile of rocks, ending up in the hospital for 3 days after surgery but yours beats the crap out of my story.
Old 10-26-20, 02:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by obentwan
Well, I was going to write details about the time I rode over the edge on a MTB trail falling about 10 feet onto a pile of rocks, ending up in the hospital for 3 days after surgery but yours beats the crap out of my story.
Au contrair. You ended up in the hospital with no doubt very painful injuries! Your off is one of my worst nightmares.

A good friend of mine mine had a crash like yours and ended up breaking his neck and having a brain bleed. He was advised to give up the sport based on advice of his neurosurgeon and now is a exclusive runner, but really misses it.

Old 10-26-20, 02:55 PM
Jasper Storm

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Hitting 50 mph on my TT bike on a short descent, with hands on the bar extensions and seeing a large deer in the grassy roadside, five feet off the pavement, deciding whether to cross the road or not.

Obviously, it waited.
Old 10-26-20, 03:36 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
Nothing real scary. But a while back, while riding a rail-trail in PA, had a man with a "sack" and a "pole" inform me that he was one of many people there who were catching rattlers so they could be "milked" for their venom to make serum to counteract snakebites. He then informed me that I had stopped near one which was in the grass and that I should pedal out quickly. Saw bear tracks just off a dirt road in W.Va once. Didn't see a bear, until coming back (in a car) to the cabin after going out for dinner. Mama and 2 cubs crossing a paved road.

Last edited by freeranger; 10-26-20 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-26-20, 05:09 PM
lesterburnham

Bikes: '18 Domane SL5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Descending a windy hill, a very long hill, not knowing what was behind me. Sustained speed was such that I could not hug the shoulder and take my eyes off the road. Wind noise was incredibly loud as well. I never unnecessarily ride in the roadway but this time I had no choice. A few cars did pass me before it got scary, so I assumed there was more to come. It was more than 5 miles and luckily no cars came. Never took that route again. Scariest? Hit & run, hospitalized 8+ months in '17.
Old 10-30-20, 03:53 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
Early one morning a few years ago I was riding into Ventura from my home in Santa Paula . It was cool and silent with no one around , Foothill Road was empty and my mind was filled with calm as I pedaled along. Out of the orchard came a coyote at full run and crossed so close to my front wheel , I had no time to do anything but trust he had it wired. He did and vanished as quickly as he appeared . It took about a mile to get my calm back , but the excitement was worth the experience. The coyote had his winter coat so he actually looked like a wolf as his eyes met mine for a brief second or two.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-30-20, 04:25 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
On a twisty descent, at the exit of a corner followed by a straight, I passed a motorbike that had been holding me for a while as he seemed unable to corner at a decent speed.

After a while, when I arrived a "long" straight, the biker passed me and started yelling and threatening me because I had made an "unsafe pass" (not true). After a while of arguing and he trying to ram the motorbike on me, he went away, still going slow in the corners. I simply let him go and finished what remained of the descent at a slow speed.
Old 10-30-20, 05:25 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Recently? Having this huge 100 lb attack dog slam into the side of me at 20 mph, for absolutely no reason, and then start chewing my leg:

Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-30-20, 05:42 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
probably wiping out near the top of palm springs tram rd. at 40 mph and riding for another 18 miles with a concussion, road rash, a cracked helmet and a helping of short-term memory loss
(for about a week) before the ex (driving) found me as i was late to return. t-boning a bmw suv in laguna beach at 27 mph going downhill on pch between the laguna beach art museum and
the main lifeguard tower at the base of the hill (and riding 15 miles back to san clemente with a unseen cracked front fork) and getting clocked from behind by a tesla suv with yours truly rolling
over the top and hood of a car parked in the bike lane because of a small child supposedly vomiting in the back seat in san diego. slightly less eventful but all three incidents involved an
er/hospital visit for a few hours.

why do wipeouts always involve your favorite jersey?

a jerkwad intentional close pass in palos verdes this year was the most upsetting tho. so unnecessary when there was plenty of lane. another close pass by a gardening truck with an overfilled
trailer (got aggressively brushed with tree/hedge branches) in carlsbad on the coast highway a few months ago was also unfun.

Last edited by diphthong; 10-30-20 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-30-20, 06:10 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Wow, what was the cause of the 40 mph crash?

I seem to consistently get about one close pass every 2-3 hours, when riding in traffic, which is why I prefer deserted roads, if possible. The camera is great, and shows me that many of the passes were not quite as close as they seemed at the time. But closer than 2 feet is scary no matter what, especially when the vehicle is going at highway speeds and is either a big rig or someone pulling a trailer.
Old 10-30-20, 06:35 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Wow, what was the cause of the 40 mph crash?

I seem to consistently get about one close pass every 2-3 hours, when riding in traffic, which is why I prefer deserted roads, if possible. The camera is great, and shows me that many of the passes were not quite as close as they seemed at the time. But closer than 2 feet is scary no matter what, especially when the vehicle is going at highway speeds and is either a big rig or someone pulling a trailer.

four factors in no particular order...one, the top of the descent is like a ski jump run. narrow and really steep (since closed off to cyclists).
two, there is a rock wall/protruberance that juts out and forces you to veer left.
three, there was a small patch of loose gravel in the area where one would look to be shifting weight and leaning back to the right after veering left.
four, i was riding my brother-in-law's cannondale bike which was roughly 5 lbs lighter than my banger '88 cro-moly steel bianchi which i had used
previously to climb/descend the same hill. i hadn't ridden the c-dale down a hill like that before. normally, i would have to lean into my heavy beast
decently to get it to track left or right. i leaned into this lighter bike too close to the gravel patch and it sailed too far right with too aggressive
of a lean in the gravel patch area. blammo. down with minimal sliding but still down and hard. my foot went through a spoke on the back wheel and
had to bend the spoke a little to extract it from that soft, oval-shaped area comprising the ankle bone, achilles tendon and top of the heel bone on the
inside of my right foot.

Last edited by diphthong; 10-30-20 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-30-20, 06:39 AM
diphthong

[QUOTE=Lemond1985;21767433]Wow, what was the cause of the 40 mph crash?

I seem to consistently get about one close pass every 2-3 hours, when riding in traffic, which is why I prefer deserted roads, if possible. The camera is great, and shows me that many of the passes were not quite as close as they seemed at the time. But closer than 2 feet is scary no matter what, especially when the vehicle is going at highway speeds and is either a big rig or someone pulling a trailer.[/QUOTE]

lit up like a christmas tree on tuesday's ascent on the 198. four, rear-facing, red blinking lights along with a front white light blinker. it's my standard mountain road setup along with a white helmet
and either a white or red jersey/jacket.
Old 10-30-20, 08:30 AM
oxman

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
My incidents pale in comparison to others here.

Some passes from vehicles are too close for comfort. Some drivers simply cannot wait, they have to pass. One time, a car was passing slower traffic, heading towards me. It was early in the morning and I knew the sun was in the driver's eyes. I steered for the ditch and managed to stay upright.

This incident, combined with a nagging Achilles injury resulted in me walking away from road cycling for a number of years. Since then, my injury has largely healed, I got a bike fit which made all the difference, and I am back!

However, reading the stories from people here instills fear in me.
Old 10-30-20, 09:43 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
four factors in no particular order...one, the top of the descent is like a ski jump run. narrow and really steep (since closed off to cyclists).
two, there is a rock wall/protruberance that juts out and forces you to veer left.
three, there was a small patch of loose gravel in the area where one would look to be shifting weight and leaning back to the right after veering left.
four, i was riding my brother-in-law's cannondale bike which was roughly 5 lbs lighter than my banger '88 cro-moly steel bianchi which i had used
previously to climb/descend the same hill. i hadn't ridden the c-dale down a hill like that before. normally, i would have to lean into my heavy beast
decently to get it to track left or right. i leaned into this lighter bike too close to the gravel patch and it sailed too far right with too aggressive
of a lean in the gravel patch area. blammo. down with minimal sliding but still down and hard. my foot went through a spoke on the back wheel and
had to bend the spoke a little to extract it from that soft, oval-shaped area comprising the ankle bone, achilles tendon and top of the heel bone on the
inside of my right foot.
Wow, that sounds painful. I bet the race commissaires would have taken you out of the race, had you been riding in a grand tour. Those Cannondales often have very steep head tube angles, which can make for some "twitchy" steering, until you get used to it. My 1988 Cannondale Crit Series has a 74.25 degree head angle. Battaglin typically uses a 75 degree head tube angle, FWIW. It's easy to laugh off a degree or two of head tube angle, but it can really affect handling pretty dramatically.

What some people call twitchy, other people call intuitive. But it does take a little extra caution at high speeds. The way i heard it explained is that the quicker steering virtually reads your mind as to where you want to go, you just look in that direction and it moves.

I was on my other Battaglin earlier this year, when I went down from a front flat tire. It also has a 75 degree head tube, which could have affected handing. I'm beginning to understand why most non-race bikes have head tubes much shallower, like in the 70-72 degree range.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 10-30-20 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-30-20, 10:23 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Recently? Having this huge 100 lb attack dog slam into the side of me at 20 mph, for absolutely no reason, and then start chewing my leg:

That is just wrong. Those Cycliq's are amazing.
Just a suggestion: dog is off leash and is a hazard.
Go back and ask that the dog be put down.
If owner doth protest, ask him to call law enforcement or animal control.
When the owner admits to owning the dog, get his homeowner's insurance information and file a claim.

This happened to me, but not an attack.
A dog ran out in front of me, and I hit it broadside. Killed it. Right there in the road..
One spoke thru my calf, one half-way, a broken wrist, collarbone, etc,
Dog's owner came out, screaming that I killed his dog. I just sat there, in the road.
By then, someone else had called the sheriff. Owner received a citation for $250.
His insurance paid my bills and for the toasted Technium 440, citation was dismissed.
I was too naïve to ask for more, even forgot to ask for a new helmet.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-30-20, 10:30 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Scariest moment:
Storming of Thunder Ridge, descent turns off of the Blue Ridge Parkway and completes on VA Hwy 43.
Chip seal. Technical. 35mph limit. Another BF member and I were descending in the rain.
He stopped to put his rain jacket on, so I got ahead. They shut down 43 just after I turned.
1988 Centurion Ironman Carbon. DA 7400 brake levers and 7700 calipers. Pouring.
Kind of a point of no return, I guess. Once started downhill, couldn't stop.
Brakes pulled to the bar, could not get the bike under 35mph.
Chip seal ruts, turns that dropped out of sight.
A couple of times, the bike just drifted across the road to the outside, but never lost it.
I learned more about bike handling on that descent than in the years before.
It leveled out into sunshine. I caught a guy just diddling down the road.
He said he was waiting for his tears to dry up before he kept on.

No way I'm ever getting on a mountain bike. Those guys are crazy.
I saw one duct tape his chin and keep riding. Easily 10 stitches worth.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-30-20, 10:31 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
2016 election.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 10-30-20, 10:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
That is just wrong. Those Cycliq's are amazing.
Just a suggestion: dog is off leash and is a hazard.
Go back and ask that the dog be put down.
If owner doth protest, ask him to call law enforcement or animal control.
When the owner admits to owning the dog, get his homeowner's insurance information and file a claim.

This happened to me, but not an attack.
A dog ran out in front of me, and I hit it broadside. Killed it. Right there in the road..
One spoke thru my calf, one half-way, a broken wrist, collarbone, etc,
Dog's owner came out, screaming that I killed his dog. I just sat there, in the road.
By then, someone else had called the sheriff. Owner received a citation for $250.
His insurance paid my bills and for the toasted Technium 440, citation was dismissed.
I was too naïve to ask for more, even forgot to ask for a new helmet.
That reminds me of a friends story a long time ago. Only he was in a car and hit a dog that jumped in front of him in the road and it died immediately from being run over. He went to the owner's door and explained to him about the dog getting killed. The owner told him not to worry as the dog was just a mutt that had shown up several years ago. My friend told the owner that he was misunderstanding, the dog had done about 500 or more dollars damage to the vehicle and needed to know how the dog's owner wanted to take care of it.
Old 11-01-20, 09:59 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Was cruising down a hill at 35 when a deer crossed barely 10’ in front of me. Not even enough time to swerve. Missed it be a hair.
Wow, that could have been ugly...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.