Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would you go for 28.6mm bars for aesthetic reasons?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Would you choose 28.6mm handlebars & stems
Yes
28.57%
No
71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Would you go for 28.6mm bars for aesthetic reasons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-21, 06:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
lol, of course I'm talking about inventing a new size because I think the look would work. Like I said, most commuters who aren't racers may not need a specific size for performance reasons but if it looks better, why not?
WHAT? Seriously WHAT??? Do you even understand what you are saying? Do you know how absolutely ridiculous that would be?

Size has nothing really to do with performance. Though one could say yes a 35.0 bar is a bit stiffer and could potentially be lighter by using thinner tubes so it could improve performance but the modern standard 31.8 has a ton of stems in different sizes and lengths and even various sprung and elastomer based options and also some different colors and plenty of different materials. Not to mention a ton of great bars out there and there are also plenty of shims if you want to run a 26.0 or 25.4 bar or you can just use the proper stem which are still fairly easy to find if need be just with fewer new options.

Anyone proposing a new standard is clearly flatlining as there is nothing at all that a really odd size is going to bring to the party and I can assure anyone that a few mm here and there is not really going to make anything look noticeably better. If you had a finger on the pulse nobody really needs anything more than what we have and some would even say 35.0 is silly.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-18-21, 06:20 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
People like you are one of the big problems w/ the bicycle industry.
Really?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-18-21, 10:47 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Really?
Yes. Absolutely. Along the lines of: 'Let's come up w/ another completely useless standard just to confuse the f**k out of everyone'.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-19-21, 11:22 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Really?
Honestly aside from the maybe brashness of the post do you really want another new standard that doesn't improve anything and makes it even more difficult. I know you likely posted that as a moderator of the forum but do we really need more than 22.2, 25.4, 26.0, 31.8 and 35.0 (and I guess Deda's cheeky 31.7)? Do you really want to have to deal with that? Can't we just invent another press fit bottom bracket to satisfy
Old 01-19-21, 11:31 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
I think that being concerned about aesthetics of 99.9% of non-mountain bikes with threadless steerers is a waste of energy.

Stems with those bolt-ears hanging out in the air are too ugly for anything else to matter.

The only reason 25.4/26.0 looks small is because your steerer and stem are obnoxiously bloated.