Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wash the stink out?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wash the stink out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-21, 05:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,547 Times in 7,330 Posts
I’m seeing an ad at the bottom of this thread telling me to stop wiping my butt.
Old 01-08-21, 07:31 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’m seeing an ad at the bottom of this thread telling me to stop wiping my butt.
Better cover up the camera on your lap top, I think they are on to you.
Old 01-08-21, 09:50 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
buy more clothes and rotate
Old 01-08-21, 11:34 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
See post #28, then consider external (or more accurately internal) sources.

The old adage is "you are what you eat." And drink.

Cutting fats and sugar from your diet and carbs where possible may help. Additionally red meat can make a difference. In Asia residents say that can smell an American meat diet.
Secondly, do you take supplements. Those can really make for a funk, as can some prescription medicines. Some herbal teas can do the same as well as cause staining sweat.

It is worth a try.
Old 01-09-21, 10:37 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I don't have a problem with my bibs or jerseys but my Headsweats and sweatbands are different story. In the past I have soaked them in a very dilute solution of bleach which took care of the problem for a month or two but it always comes back. I even rinse them out thoroughly with water after every ride and never reuse one before laundering. But I know bleach isn't good for these synthetic fabrics so am trying the vinegar/Dawn soak today before laundering them.
Old 01-10-21, 11:13 AM
tdonline

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
It's not the water. It's your detergent. Use less of it and double rinse.

Synthetic fabrics are designed to wick sweat away - but they retain odor. And detergents often stick to the fabric too, trapping in the odor. Vinegar or vodka soaks will help kill the built up bacteria in the fabric, but going forward, adding vinegar to the wash and less detergent plus a second rinse can help.
I do exactly this and it has not worked. My problem children are cotton shirts and recurring armpit odor. They are fine after washing but as soon as I wear them, the odor returns. I've targeted the arm pit areas of these shirts with vinegar, Febreeze and enzyme sprays and all have failed.
Old 01-20-21, 03:23 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
pennpaul

Recently had this happen, and a few internet searches suggested that the problem is the growth of bacteria in the water. Sulfurous smell, yes?

It was suggested that the HW heater have the heat increased to ensure that the temp of the water would be high enough (around 160F) to kill the hydrosulfites (which are otherwise harmless).

Worked like a charm. Maybe it will for you, too.
Old 01-20-21, 06:21 AM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Bikes: '21 GT Aggressor Pro, '16 Norco 7.1 Storm << son's bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
How about running the washer on a self clean cycle or running it with HOT water and vinegar or bleach to clean it out. There are also products for cleaning the washer that you add. Mine has a reminder to self clean after 20 washes. The smell could be coming from the washer it self, old water sitting or mildew growing in the nooks and crannies.
Old 01-20-21, 06:28 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
I wear a lot of graphic Tees and many are a blend of cotton and polyester. After we moved into a new to us house, these shirts have picked up a sour smell. My cotton shirt don't suffer from this, but cotton isn't always comfortable in the heat or come with the prints I like.

I recently did a load of laundry where my bike clothes were mixed with one of those t-shirts and now I'm getting a whiff of sourness from my bike jersey and bib. Short of burning everything, is there anything to salvage the shirts and my bike kit? I haven't tried re-washing my bike clothes but those t-shirts have been washed multiple times, with different detergents, and sometimes mixed with white vinegar or baking soda. Nothing seems to neutralize the sour smell. I will straight up dunk the shirts in straight vinegar or a baking soda solution if that will kill/release the funk.

We're living overseas now so if the "infection" started back in the US, it's followed me.

Any ideas?
Borax
Old 01-20-21, 07:11 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
It occurs to me that it could be your city water. Here in Lincoln for instance it is pure well water. A lot of cities use river water. Now matter how well they purify it, when you live down stream, look how many times it has been flushed.