Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Handlebar tape

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-21, 09:36 AM
bbsupersport

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Firenze, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Rocky Mountain Whistler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Handlebar tape

Hi, I'm swapping out my handlebars and in need of handlebar tape recommendations.
I'm fairly new to cycling ( even though I'm in the 50+ category ) and this will be my first attempt at taping a set (two sets) of handlebars. Looking for tape that has some cushioning for added comfort.
Concerned mainly with quality over price, but still looking for the best value for my money.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-21, 09:44 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have Bontrager gel cork tape that after 26,000 miles i'm finally going to replace with the same.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...e-set/p/23110/
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-10-21, 09:59 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Regular cork bar tape is still a go to for many, Cinelli is one. There is now a gel cork tape, also Cinelli, have not tried but will. It has good reviews. Unfortunately for me, my favorite tape is no longer available, Zevlin, Z-attack. I usually look at bicycle gear suppliers, search Ebay and Amazon, etc. to find tape on sale. Numerous sites to look at, such as Jenson, Western Bike Works. Use Google and more sites than you can stand to look at will come up. I have used Arundel Gecko Grip tape and I like it, good grip but not much cushion. I recommend looking at reviews and starting with something that has good stretch to it. Also, look at videos, like on youtube, to see the process. It takes practice and patience. Handlebar tape is one of those cycling things that are very individual/personal .

I would be remiss in not pointing out that a local bike shop will have a selection and maybe someone that can help with there knowledge.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-10-21, 11:17 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
So much tape, so little time...

There are so many brands of tape out there and every person on this forum is going to post here telling you the tape they ride is the best tape. As long as they give some solid feedback for it hopefully you will have enough to make a good decision.

Here are some pics of the tape I use and why I like each.

Fizik - This is my default go to brand. The flexibility of the tape helps with installing. It doesn't easily rip or seperate and will last more than 2-3 seasons of 4-5000 miles of riding. That being said there are different types that Fizik puts out and I am currently using the Tempo Classic and Tempo Bondcush Soft. I have not used the Vento Tacky tape.

The Bondcush soft has a really nice firm grip and is soft to the touch. Not soft like squishy but a little bit like the soft underside of an unfinished piece of leather. It's definitely not leather though that's just the feel of the tape. Great tape if you dont ride with gloves. Very comfy and it's what I have on my gravel bike

Fizik bondcush soft

Fizik bondcush soft In the box

The other Fizik tape I have is the Tempo Classic. It's very smooth like the thin classic leather wrap of yesteryear. Very thin compared to the bondcush soft and a smooth finished leather feel to it. Great for riding with gloves and I believe is a lighter weight. It's what I have on my climbing bike

Fizik Tempo Classic

Some other tapes I use -

Deda - . I use Deda because I love thier products. Bars, stems, seatposts. They are traditional and good looking solid products and the same with the bar tapes. Here are the Deda tapes I currently have -
Mistral Leather - I bought this because I wanted to install a brown tape on my new build. I really wanted the Brooks Faux Leather tape (Which is made by Fizik) but couldnt find it anywhere. The Mistral leather has a similar finish feel at the Fizik classic but is a bit thicker in the middle with slightly more cush (Maybe 2mm vs 1.5mm)

Deda Mistral Leather

Deda Mistral 2mm thick

The other Deda tape I have is the Presa tape. I like th look and feel of this tape. It has the perforations to let color through and give it a great texture feel. It has more of a rubbery grip on top. This will replace the other Deda tape on the new build when I get tired of the Classic look with the brown sidewalls and tape and want to give it a more racy look.

Deda Presa Tape

Lastly I have some Cinelli Cork Ribbon gel tape. It's a standard. Comfy enough for everyday rides. Not the best tape out there but it works and has a good feel to it. It's not rubbery but rather has a springy feel almost like its absorbent of bumps but also moisture. There will almost always be a roll of this lying around the shop somewhere.

Cinelli Cork Ribbon Gel tape

If you have any specific questions about the tapes above would be happy to answer.

-Sean
Likes For Wilmingtech:
Old 01-10-21, 01:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
My favorite is the Lizard Skins 3.2 DSP tape, nice and comfortable and if you need extra comfort you can add some gel underneath like the Fizik stuff or Planet Bike (I believe).
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-10-21, 01:28 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
If you want extra padding you can use 2 layers of tape - I usually use the old tape for the underlayer, and wrap it the opposite way the top layer goes, so the top layer criss crosses the bottom layer.

Lots of videos on youtube on tape wrapping.

To finish the ends I use regular electrical tape, then wrap that with self-fusing silicone tape - that is very permanent and clean and doesn't pull up or leak adhesive. Lots of people can a get a clean finish the regular elec tape, but I never could figure that out.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 01-10-21, 01:34 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I finish the ends with black gaffer's tape, which is a kind of fabric-backed tape used by photographers, TV guys, sound engineers, etc to secure lights, microphones, tripods and things like that that they don't want to get residue on. Sticks better than electrical tape and doesn't get gummy or come undone on hot days either.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 01-10-21, 01:57 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Looking for new bar tape myself. Don't have one I love but but I would highly recommend not skimping. Last tape I got was some off brand from Amazon that I really liked the design. Turned out to be not worth it, spend the extra.
Likes For Chris!:
Old 01-10-21, 02:41 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Probably a reason that it's not mentioned, but thought I'd ask. Does anyone have experience with the woven style of bartapes? Eg. Serfas has a bunch of these:

SERFAS WOVEN BARTAPE
Old 01-10-21, 03:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Probably a reason that it's not mentioned, but thought I'd ask. Does anyone have experience with the woven style of bartapes? Eg. Serfas has a bunch of these:

SERFAS WOVEN BARTAPE
One of my kids has some serfss woven on her road bike. It dirtiest up fast, has little cushion, and doesn't stretch when applying which sucks because its not long and barely fit some 38mm compact bars.

She likes it, but im convinced its 70% because she chose it and 30% because she isn't heavy enough to care that it has little cushion.

My view- this stuff is barely better than benotto cellotape.
Old 01-10-21, 04:30 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I have Bontrager gel cork tape that after 26,000 miles i'm finally going to replace with the same.

That stuff is excellent. And you can often find some of the colors on sale at the Trek site for about 12 bucks. If you have it shipped to your nearest Trek dealer, you don’t even have to pay for shipping.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-10-21, 06:39 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I change my bar tap every year. Feels good to have a new wrap once outdoor riding starts.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 04-29-21 at 03:45 PM.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 01-10-21, 06:55 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I'm going to suggest a more extreme solution than padded gel or cork handlebar tape: Grab On Grips, a closed cell, fairly dense foam. It resembles water pipe insulation in appearance, but it is a much better product for shock absorption than the best handlebar tape.
Old 01-10-21, 09:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I'm going to suggest a more extreme solution than padded gel or cork handlebar tape: Grab On Grips, a closed cell, fairly dense foam. It resembles water pipe insulation in appearance, but it is a much better product for shock absorption than the best handlebar tape.
But this would mean you have foam grips.

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-10-21, 11:07 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR

You really should replace your handlebar tape in intervals less than 26k miles. Handlebars collect sweat and can be subject to corrosion, whether aluminum or carbon fiber bars. I've seen some horrific pictures of corroded and even broken bars.

Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 01-10-21, 11:11 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
You really should replace your handlebar tape in intervals less than 26k miles. Handlebars collect sweat and can be subject to corrosion, whether aluminum or carbon fiber bars. I've seen some horrific pictures of corroded and even broken bars.
Over the summer I had to remove the tape on one side and the carbon bar was fine. But thanks for your concern.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-11-21, 12:26 AM
walterpeter946
Banned.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is great! I loved it
Likes For walterpeter946:
Old 01-11-21, 12:42 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I finish the ends with black gaffer's tape, which is a kind of fabric-backed tape used by photographers, TV guys, sound engineers, etc to secure lights, microphones, tripods and things like that that they don't want to get residue on. Sticks better than electrical tape and doesn't get gummy or come undone on hot days either.
I live in the Los Angeles area. It gets pretty hot here in the summer. I have had zero issues with electrical tape used as finishing tape coming undone.
Old 01-11-21, 12:43 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
No. Just no.
Old 01-11-21, 12:46 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I've been using Cinelli cork tape for decades. Recently, I tried Lizard Skins DSP - great grip and good padding. It's my new favorite.
Old 01-11-21, 06:43 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
My view- this stuff is barely better than benotto cellotape.
I have gold cellotape on my '79 Peugeot. Positives: It looks perfect, accented with world champion stripes at the inner ends. And it's okay in warm weather with bare fingers. Negatives: No grip at all, in fact, it's quite slippery, especially with gloves. Thin - really thin, so if used on vintage bars, the result is quite small/thin to grip. Why did I use it? Period correct and beautiful finished appearance.

This is like women with shoes. Their feet hurt after 30 minutes. Blistering when they walk, unstable. I ask my wife why she wears such shoes when we're out socially? The answer is generally twofold: style and "I like the way they make my calves look." Okay.
Old 01-11-21, 07:24 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I live in the Los Angeles area. It gets pretty hot here in the summer. I have had zero issues with electrical tape used as finishing tape coming undone.
Sometimes people have issues with things that other people have no problems with at all, and vise-versa.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 01-11-21, 07:43 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Sometimes people have issues with things that other people have no problems with at all, and vise-versa.
There's all kinds of crappy 'electrical' tape sold and available out there. I suspect that anyone finding their tape coming undone in heat, or the glue seeping, is using one of those. Stick with 3M Super 33 and no issue.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-11-21, 08:14 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
For a most uncomfortable "ergo" bar, that I'm not quite motivated enough to change out, I found some Fizik bar gel. Tape them where you need padding with electrical tape, and then overwrap with bar tape of your choice.

3M tape is one of two secrets to using electrical tape. The second secret is to put a bit of tension on the first wrap or two, to hold the bar tape in place, but the final wrap of electrical tape should not be stretched at all. Use scissors or a knife to cut the electrical tape instead of pulling it until it breaks, and finish the wrap neatly.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-11-21, 09:32 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
But this would mean you have foam grips.

That degradation of the material has not happened to mine in the several years since I installed them. Are you sure those grips are the Grab On brand?
Likes For DeadGrandpa:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.