Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What size track frame will best fit me?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 08:25 PM
jrockey2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,
I am looking to build my first track frame, and I was wondering what size seat tube-top tube would fit me best. I am 182cm tall with an inseam of 84 cm, and my leg length is longer than my torso length. I am looking at an NJS frame 55cm square, with a 110mm stem. Will this be a good size for me? I am looking forward to hearing your recommendations.
Old 01-15-21, 08:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Why NJS? I dig those frames they do look cool and a new one from Nagasawa (or someone else but I love Nagasawa's work a lot) would be super neat but a used dented frame for boku bucks is a little bit off. NJS simply certifies the component in question is able to be used in betting sport in Japan. It doesn't mean it is good or bad necessarily.

For me I would look at the Gunnar Track Star for $1100 and I am getting a new bike made by the folks at Waterford who make some of the finest bikes and have for a long time and I can customize it for a bit more to my own geometry. Or I could look at one of the many track frames out there that is new and either custom or semi custom for a lot less and spend more on components.

You do you but for me the allure of a used heavily raced and potentially highly abused bike unless I am in Japan and can find one a bottom end pricing is just not really there. A new one yes would love it but those can go for good money as well and then why not have it built here in America by one of our many many talented builders and get it custom to me however I want it.
Old 01-15-21, 09:04 PM
jrockey2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Why NJS? I dig those frames they do look cool and a new one from Nagasawa (or someone else but I love Nagasawa's work a lot) would be super neat but a used dented frame for boku bucks is a little bit off. NJS simply certifies the component in question is able to be used in betting sport in Japan. It doesn't mean it is good or bad necessarily.

For me I would look at the Gunnar Track Star for $1100 and I am getting a new bike made by the folks at Waterford who make some of the finest bikes and have for a long time and I can customize it for a bit more to my own geometry. Or I could look at one of the many track frames out there that is new and either custom or semi custom for a lot less and spend more on components.

You do you but for me the allure of a used heavily raced and potentially highly abused bike unless I am in Japan and can find one a bottom end pricing is just not really there. A new one yes would love it but those can go for good money as well and then why not have it built here in America by one of our many many talented builders and get it custom to me however I want it.
I converted an old Raleigh International to a fixed gear for my first fixed gear bike and fell in love with the ride quality of steel and the beautiful lug work. For my first real track bike I want to continue that trend of quality craftsmanship and springy ride feel of lugged steel. I found a great deal on a brand new njs frame to build up so there will be no dents or blemishes on the paint. I appreciate your comment, but I really wanted to know from someone who has experience with these frames if a size 55 would fit a person of my stature.
Old 01-15-21, 09:40 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,960 Times in 4,686 Posts
Just fyi: there's a subforum dedicated to track cycling, and another one dedicated to bike fit issues.
Old 01-16-21, 01:21 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
I have very similar proportions to you (slightly shorter legs) and all my track bikes were 54-56cm with the 56 being a tad too large for me. 55cm should suit you well.
Old 01-16-21, 08:37 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by jrockey2
I converted an old Raleigh International to a fixed gear for my first fixed gear bike and fell in love with the ride quality of steel and the beautiful lug work. For my first real track bike I want to continue that trend of quality craftsmanship and springy ride feel of lugged steel. I found a great deal on a brand new njs frame to build up so there will be no dents or blemishes on the paint. I appreciate your comment, but I really wanted to know from someone who has experience with these frames if a size 55 would fit a person of my stature.
Lugged steel is good stuff so can't fault you there and glad you found a good deal on a new one.

If you have a geo chart that will help with sizing a little. However a 55 may work though it could be a touch big and a 54 might be better.
Old 01-18-21, 11:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Dont most serious track racers buy the absolute smallest frame that will work, because it will be lighter?
Old 01-18-21, 01:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by rydabent
Dont most serious track racers buy the absolute smallest frame that will work, because it will be lighter?
Yes they do and they also eat nothing but corn flakes and discarded pizza crusts before a race (unless on a Tuesday, then it is Wheatabix skipping leap years). I also have a fine bridge that I will sell you at a very reasonable price.