Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Old 01-19-21, 07:44 PM
  #59726  
Celeste Mike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 117

Bikes: '87 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, '87 Schwinn Tempo, '88 Cannondale ST400, '97 Specialized Stumpjumper M2, '86 Schwinn High Sierra, '89 Bianchi Incline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Wild color and an interesting Ofmega groupset.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2595600162310/



Last edited by Celeste Mike; 01-20-21 at 05:32 PM.
Celeste Mike is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 08:17 PM
  #59727  
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,194
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by capt_velo View Post


Up for sale from Gears for the Gospel is a 1964 Gitane. Reynolds 531 tubing. I was not able to nail down a specific model based on the incorrect nature of their vintage catalogs. However, with the Reynolds 531 and Campagnolo dropouts, it is a nice bike! Price reflects the vintage parts in the good condition that they are in, as well as the frame and the patina that it has. 57x57cm.

All campy except- Mafac Tiger brakes, Pivo stem?, Brooks saddle, unknown (need to check) wheels and hubs. New chain. New cables.

The good- totally gone through. Bearings cleaned and lubricated with fresh grease. Frame totally degreased and cleaned. Chrome polished. I did not get too crazy as the original paint is so cool. I didnít want to damage it. Campy kit (crankset, derailleurs, cable stop hardware, shifters, seat post) are all in great shape! No dents in tubes. Nothing more than surface rust. I would feel totally confident riding this.
Newly glued tires. New bar tape.

The ďbadĒ- letís be honest, the bike is OLD. I hope someone buys it that will appreciate the pedigree and class. If someone wants to repaint it, more power to them. I donít have the heart to mess it up. Mild pitting and or rust on chrome. Spokes had rust that I removed. Theyíre not perfectly shiny, but strong and the nipples all turned fine. Campy cranks are threaded for 9/16 20f (aka Italian). Yes, you can force modern 9/16 pedals. No, I donít recommend it. Yes, you can locate vintage pedals of this threading. Yes, you can easily re-tap to modern 9/16. So your options are open. I donít have any suitable pedals to test ride though, unfortunately.
The just DO NOT make hoods for Mafac anymore. This bike had half hoods in dry, cracked shape. I will include them if you desire. I fashioned these with some Cane Creek hoods and black silicone. Looks great!
Brooks saddle is a bit dry.

The best- ALL proceeds benefit OurCalling ministry to the homeless right here in North Texas. I accept bicycle donations and restore them in my hobby time and it is an act of service for me for a ministry I believe in.

Any questions or details I left out, let me know!

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/bi...264257167.html
This is highly interesting, if it's legit you don't see many (or any) Gitanes that old that are full-Campy (except brakes) models. Would wonder what one of our Gitane experts like Chas might observe about this one? paging verktyg
unworthy1 is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 08:36 PM
  #59728  
obrentharris 
Senior Member
 
obrentharris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Point Reyes Station, California
Posts: 3,297

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 892 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1 View Post
This is highly interesting, if it's legit you don't see many (or any) Gitanes that old that are full-Campy (except brakes) models. Would wonder what one of our Gitane experts like Chas might observe about this one? paging verktyg
Mafac Tiger brakes, 151 BCD Campag cranks, old style downtube cable guide, early model Record derailleur! If this were 3 cm taller I'd be begging for a facilitator.
I know nothing about the Renak hubs except that Velo Base tells me they were made in East Germany.
Yes, @verktyg is needed here.
Brent
obrentharris is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 08:56 PM
  #59729  
hazetguy 
I GOT THE MICROWAVE!
 
hazetguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: asheville
Posts: 1,653
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 981 Times in 556 Posts
This Gitane was posted by a forum member and discussed here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...tane-info.html
hazetguy is offline  
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 01-19-21, 09:29 PM
  #59730  
due ruote 
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,286
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 163 Posts
531 Ted Williams for $50

https://appleton.craigslist.org/bik/...255385835.html
due ruote is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 10:13 PM
  #59731  
merrman
Long time lurker
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chilliwack B.C.
Posts: 41

Bikes: Apollo Imperial, Nishiki International, nishiki landau, diamond back ascent, raleigh superbe, raleigh sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rene Herse Demotable

Very cool bike. Price might be a little steep even in Canadian dollars.
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn...264302345.html
merrman is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 06:36 AM
  #59732  
Clang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South of the Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 3,620
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 245 Posts
1993 Paramount R30 - $60 (Bakersfield, CA)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined

Clang is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 06:40 AM
  #59733  
Clang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South of the Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 3,620
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 245 Posts
1987 Specialized Rockhopper - $60 (Orange, CA)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined

Clang is offline  
Likes For Clang:
Old 01-20-21, 06:46 AM
  #59734  
Clang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South of the Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 3,620
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 245 Posts
Cannondale Black Lightning - $125 (Spokane, WA)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined

Clang is offline  
Likes For Clang:
Old 01-20-21, 06:49 AM
  #59735  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,451
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by capt_velo View Post


Up for sale from Gears for the Gospel is a 1964 Gitane. Reynolds 531 tubing. I was not able to nail down a specific model based on the incorrect nature of their vintage catalogs. However, with the Reynolds 531 and Campagnolo dropouts, it is a nice bike! Price reflects the vintage parts in the good condition that they are in, as well as the frame and the patina that it has. 57x57cm.

All campy except- Mafac Tiger brakes, Pivo stem?, Brooks saddle, unknown (need to check) wheels and hubs. New chain. New cables.

The good- totally gone through. Bearings cleaned and lubricated with fresh grease. Frame totally degreased and cleaned. Chrome polished. I did not get too crazy as the original paint is so cool. I didnít want to damage it. Campy kit (crankset, derailleurs, cable stop hardware, shifters, seat post) are all in great shape! No dents in tubes. Nothing more than surface rust. I would feel totally confident riding this.
Newly glued tires. New bar tape.

The ďbadĒ- letís be honest, the bike is OLD. I hope someone buys it that will appreciate the pedigree and class. If someone wants to repaint it, more power to them. I donít have the heart to mess it up. Mild pitting and or rust on chrome. Spokes had rust that I removed. Theyíre not perfectly shiny, but strong and the nipples all turned fine. Campy cranks are threaded for 9/16 20f (aka Italian). Yes, you can force modern 9/16 pedals. No, I donít recommend it. Yes, you can locate vintage pedals of this threading. Yes, you can easily re-tap to modern 9/16. So your options are open. I donít have any suitable pedals to test ride though, unfortunately.
The just DO NOT make hoods for Mafac anymore. This bike had half hoods in dry, cracked shape. I will include them if you desire. I fashioned these with some Cane Creek hoods and black silicone. Looks great!
Brooks saddle is a bit dry.

The best- ALL proceeds benefit OurCalling ministry to the homeless right here in North Texas. I accept bicycle donations and restore them in my hobby time and it is an act of service for me for a ministry I believe in.

Any questions or details I left out, let me know!

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/bi...264257167.html
Hot!
seypat is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 09:42 AM
  #59736  
SchRadler
Member
 
SchRadler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 32

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki Riviera GT, 1984 Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Stumpjumper in Denver - $125

There is a 90s Stumpjumper in Denver listed in this ad as a Men's commuter MTB 19" for $125
https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/d/...264436133.html

SchRadler is offline  
Likes For SchRadler:
Old 01-20-21, 11:07 AM
  #59737  
WGB
WGB
 
WGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 2,310

Bikes: Astron Corsaro, Fuji Espree and Takara GT

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 162 Posts
Allez Specialized for $120 Gretna LA (New Orleans)
The seat post is snapped so no, can't just add seat and pedals and ride....

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...drop&ref=notif

Allez Specialized Racing Bike
$120 (was $200)

Listed 2 weeks ago in Gretna, LA
Condition
  • Used - Good
  • Brand
    Allez Specialized Epic Triathlon 53cm
I have a Allez Specialized Epic Triathlon super light weight aluminum racing bike... whole bike dont even weigh 5lbs... Needs new pedals and a seat and its good to go... $120 obo

I'd bring an an allen key to see if the post is seized which I suspect it is and if so offer less because parts would be worth it if cutting out the post doesn't work





WGB is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 11:26 AM
  #59738  
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,194
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy View Post
This Gitane was posted by a forum member and discussed here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...tane-info.html
Ah! Did not ever see that thread: yeah this has had a lot of discussion and has some interesting details/background. I think the asking price (considering for charity) is in the right ballpark, GLWS!
unworthy1 is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 12:20 PM
  #59739  
Clang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South of the Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 3,620
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 245 Posts

2x Bianchi Project 3 - $150 each (Circle Pines, MN)


https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/a...264666592.html



Clang is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 01:20 PM
  #59740  
cog_nate 
"SURE!"
 
cog_nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
I don't know much about Bertin frames, but this is pretty: https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bo...264384440.html



I could facilitate if any C&Ver here really has to have it.
cog_nate is offline  
Likes For cog_nate:
Old 01-20-21, 03:24 PM
  #59741  
WGB
WGB
 
WGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 2,310

Bikes: Astron Corsaro, Fuji Espree and Takara GT

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 162 Posts
I don't know much about Bertin frames, but this is pretty:
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bo...264384440.html

I think it's too small but, paging bertinjim .........
WGB is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 03:30 PM
  #59742  
Insidious C. 
Crash Test Dummy
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,233

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 86 Posts
$350 2003 853 Zurich in PDX

on offerup
Seems like a fair deal anyway.
__________________
I.C.
Insidious C. is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 03:31 PM
  #59743  
WGB
WGB
 
WGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 2,310

Bikes: Astron Corsaro, Fuji Espree and Takara GT

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 162 Posts
Just listed 3 hours ago for $95!!
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined

Listed 3 hours ago in Los Angeles, CA
Condition
  • Used - Fair
  • Brand
    Motobecane
This is a used, vintage, French bike. I believe it is from the late 70's/early 80's. It is priced low because it will need a tune up but nothing major. I suspect it just needs a new seat, new tires and new tape on the handles. The chain/derailer/brakes looks good/works well, might need some oiling. Comes with two reflectors, back platform and attachable bike pump. Fits a six foot person? I don't have a tape measure but I believe the frame is around 58-60cm. Silver/gray Comes with pump!



WGB is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 04:09 PM
  #59744  
bertinjim 
Senior Member
 
bertinjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Region, Canada
Posts: 1,262

Bikes: 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1970s Carlton Kermesse, 1982 Peugeot PB 12

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 68 Posts
wgb -

I really shouldn't even be thinking about this but it is an early 1980s Bertin C 34 and it's probably just a smidge too small. Probably. In all likelyhood,
bertinjim is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 04:11 PM
  #59745  
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,194
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB View Post
Just listed 3 hours ago for $95!!
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined

Listed 3 hours ago in Los Angeles, CA
Condition
  • Used - Fair
  • Brand
    Motobecane
Fits a six foot person? I don't have a tape measure but I believe the frame is around 58-60cm.
guessing more like a 56cm, but could be right for a 6-footer with long torso.
unworthy1 is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 04:15 PM
  #59746  
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,194
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by bertinjim View Post
wgb -

I really shouldn't even be thinking about this but it is an early 1980s Bertin C 34 and it's probably just a smidge too small. Probably. In all likelyhood,
oh GO for it! The price sure is nice...and likely could knock a few bucks off that too.
unworthy1 is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 04:44 PM
  #59747  
WGB
WGB
 
WGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 2,310

Bikes: Astron Corsaro, Fuji Espree and Takara GT

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 162 Posts
Kids, (ignoring the detail about the specific bike) bookmark this phrase:

I really shouldn't even be thinking about this
but it is an early 1980s Bertin C 34 and it's probably just a smidge too small. Probably. In all likelyhood,

It'll come in handy when you have to tell yourself "no".


I've seen the @bertinjim bat cave and I'm sure he'll survive

Ps would a C34 be below a C37 on the Bertin food chain?

Pps: $10 for a 600 headset and decals as well..........

Last edited by WGB; 01-20-21 at 04:47 PM.
WGB is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 05:24 PM
  #59748  
Rocket-Sauce 
Port
 
Rocket-Sauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 8,086

Bikes: 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 281 Posts
In amazing shape for a 51 year old bike, but about $1000 too expensive....

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...263468604.html

1970 Raleigh Professional MKII - $1,800 (Westport)



A pretty much mint condition one owner Rayleigh Pro Mk II. Purchased new from Vandalls Cyclery in New Bedford, MA in 1970. 23 1/2" from crank to top of seat post. I found the bike a bit too large for me so shortly after I bought it I put it in storage in my attic where it has been ever since. I doubt it has 100 miles on it. Has the original Clement Futur tubular tires and brooks leather saddle. Original Campy Record equipment - even the toe clips are Campy. Decals are all original. There are a few minor spots on the chrome where there is a tiny bit of rust. This bike is truly a collector's item.
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
Rocket-Sauce is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 05:58 PM
  #59749  
oneclick 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 295 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris View Post
I know nothing about the Renak hubs except that Velo Base tells me they were made in East Germany.

Brent
They're quite nice, ground cones and races, double lips dust seals, very nice surface on the dropout side of the locknuts.
oneclick is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 06:49 PM
  #59750  
Clang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South of the Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 3,620
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 245 Posts
1989 Panasonic ATB-2 - $140 (Rapid City, SD)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined

Clang is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.