Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Centerdrive replacement part -Help

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Raleigh Centerdrive replacement part -Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-18, 11:31 AM
Marciswelby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Raleigh Centerdrive replacement part -Help

I sold my car 4 years ago and have been commuting with electric bikes ever since. I absolutely love it and have converted a handful of friends into elctro -commuters as well.

I picked up a ‎Raleigh Tekoa IE‎ about a year ago for $999 (30% of the usual price) off Ebay , practically new from a dealer. The bike has a couple dings but my general assumption is that this was the test bike in the store and it just never sold... One year later and about 500 miles on the bike and the center drive motor (currie electro-drive centerdrive 350w) is making a sound that sounds oddly like rocks grinding around in there. It still works but I think there is a bad bearing or something is broken.

I called Raleigh support and because it wasn't a dealer purchase, I don't think the bike is insured.
They told me there aren't any internal replacement parts for the motor other than the motor itself.

My options are:
  • Purchase a replacement motor for $800
  • Buy a new bike?
Has anyone had a similar experience with this bike or this motor?
Does anyone know where I can get a more affordable currie electro-drive centerdrive 350w to replace my current one?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-06-18, 03:33 PM
slomoshun

Bikes: Treks and a Moulton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Marciswelby
....picked up a ‎Raleigh Tekoa IE‎ about a year ago.... 500 miles on the bike and the center drive motor (currie electro-drive centerdrive 350w) is making a sound...
Retail for that bike is around $2800 before tax. If your bike, overall, is in good condition, the $800 fix might worth it. You can get a new Tekoa IE, currently on sale, at https://www.ebikesofne.com/Raleigh-T...p/tekoa_ie.htm
Old 06-07-18, 03:37 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 635 Posts
The "experts" (not me since I haven't had to wrestle with an e-bike motor problem yet) would say to dissemble the motor and look at the gears, but the sensors and fet's too since they can cause the problem you're describing. Once you've ascertained the culprit(s), you can look for replacements. Also, you might post the problem on endless sphere.