Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Gravel Bike into a Hybrid?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-19, 10:29 AM
500lbman

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL7 S-Works, BMC Roadmachine 01 Four, Specialized Diverge Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Alloy, SE Bikes Fast Ripper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 6 Posts

Has anyone converted their gravel bike into a hybrid? I have a Specialized Diverge that I was considering turning into a hybrid. Seem like it's a great frame to do so with since it can take up to 42mm tires, or 47mm on 650 wheels.
Old 11-27-19, 12:35 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
The primary modification you'd need to make, depending on what you want out of the bike, would be a different cockpit (stem, handlebar, brake levers, and shift levers). I imagine you'd want to replace your drop bar with some sort of flat or upright bar, and you'd need to replace your drop bar levers (brifters probably) with brake levers and shift levers designed for a 22.2mm flat bar and compatible with your drivetrain. You'd also need flat bar grips to finish it off.

What is your current drivetrain? Make and model of both derailleurs and the number of cassette sprockets and chain ring sprockets will help determine which new parts will be compatible with your bike (unless you want to change the drivetrain to a MTB-type group at the same time also).
Old 11-27-19, 01:41 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by 500lbman
Has anyone converted their gravel bike into a hybrid? I have a Specialized Diverge that I was considering turning into a hybrid. Seem like it's a great frame to do so with since it can take up to 42mm tires, or 47mm on 650 wheels.
Which Diverge: 2019 carbon Diverge Sport, w/Ultegra?
Old 11-27-19, 03:20 PM
500lbman

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL7 S-Works, BMC Roadmachine 01 Four, Specialized Diverge Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Alloy, SE Bikes Fast Ripper

Originally Posted by badger1
Which Diverge: 2019 carbon Diverge Sport, w/Ultegra?
Yeah, was thinking the gravel bike frame would be a great option for doing a hybrid, then picking up a dedicated road bike in the future.
Old 11-27-19, 03:30 PM
500lbman

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
The primary modification you'd need to make, depending on what you want out of the bike, would be a different cockpit (stem, handlebar, brake levers, and shift levers). I imagine you'd want to replace your drop bar with some sort of flat or upright bar, and you'd need to replace your drop bar levers (brifters probably) with brake levers and shift levers designed for a 22.2mm flat bar and compatible with your drivetrain. You'd also need flat bar grips to finish it off.

What is your current drivetrain? Make and model of both derailleurs and the number of cassette sprockets and chain ring sprockets will help determine which new parts will be compatible with your bike (unless you want to change the drivetrain to a MTB-type group at the same time also).
Current is a Shimano 105 set. I replaced the Praxis 48/32 crank with an Ultegra 50/34. I have some chinese carbon aero wheels on there now (which I love), but would probably put the stock DT Swiss 470's back on with some 40 or 42mm gravel tires. Seems like it would be an awesome bike to cruise around on.
Old 11-27-19, 07:03 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Look for your new bars. Maybe Jones? They go well on gravel bikes, but any 22.2 bars will do.

You will need flat bar brake levers with road pull (mechanical, right? Hydraulic would be a whole other matter). Shimano Tiagra are cheap and frequently available; just remember that you can't use MTB mechanical brake levers, the amount of cable they pull is different and will nto work with road brakes.

Look for Shimano SL-RS700 shifters, but double check that your model of 105 will work with them, using the Shimano Information Web online. Otherwise, get Microshift thumb or trigger shifters for flat bar that work with your 105 components. Friction in the front and indexed in the rear maybe.

That's all you really need for a conversion. Handlebar, brake levers and shifters, although you could think about replacing your existing cables and putting on a wider saddle for more upright riding, etc. Maybe a new stem? Depends on what you want for your posture.
Old 11-27-19, 07:46 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 201 Posts
Jones H-bar or butterfly trekking bars, depending on what you want to spend. And yeah, new shifters and levers. Drop bars quit satisfying me a decade ago. But then again, I'm strictly a nonconformist. And try an ISM split nose saddle on a Thudbuster seatpost... for me, it's magic.
Old 11-27-19, 10:04 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Current is a Shimano 105 set. I replaced the Praxis 48/32 crank with an Ultegra 50/34. I have some chinese carbon aero wheels on there now (which I love), but would probably put the stock DT Swiss 470's back on with some 40 or 42mm gravel tires. Seems like it would be an awesome bike to cruise around on.
So, you have a current Diverge Sport (carbon) w/105 drivetrain and hydraulic discs. Yes?

If so, then you'd need to check to see if current 11spd Shimano R700 flat bar shifters (105 series) will work. They should, but check. That's shifting taken care of.

Current SLX or XT hyraulic levers are compatible with your road calipers, so that's that.

Your choice of bar ... done. That leaves the one big question: why? Why would you bother doing this conversion? I can see doing it if you want a very 'upright' position, but otherwise it's pointless: the geometry of your Diverge is set for drop bars. A proper flat-bar bike should have considerably more frame reach for an equivalent size. I'd sell the bike on and get something fit for purpose.

But that's just me. If you think it will work for you, go for it.
Old 11-27-19, 11:24 PM
500lbman

Originally Posted by badger1
So, you have a current Diverge Sport (carbon) w/105 drivetrain and hydraulic discs. Yes?

If so, then you'd need to check to see if current 11spd Shimano R700 flat bar shifters (105 series) will work. They should, but check. That's shifting taken care of.

Current SLX or XT hyraulic levers are compatible with your road calipers, so that's that.

Your choice of bar ... done. That leaves the one big question: why? Why would you bother doing this conversion? I can see doing it if you want a very 'upright' position, but otherwise it's pointless: the geometry of your Diverge is set for drop bars. A proper flat-bar bike should have considerably more frame reach for an equivalent size. I'd sell the bike on and get something fit for purpose.

But that's just me. If you think it will work for you, go for it.
just dreaming. I imagine a bike with the speed of a road bike and the agility of a dirt bike that was light would be fun. If I did it it would be to have a cool frankenbike.
Old 12-04-19, 04:24 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
What's to convert? A gravel bike is already a hybrid. It just has drop bars instead of flat bars.
I replaced my Fuji Absolute with a Fuji Jari at the beginning of the summer, and I ride it in all the same situations I did the Absolute... just with no hand numbness.