Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Shimano RX8 shoe. Wide or size up?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-19, 02:27 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I normally wear 9.5 running shoes, but for my shimano road shoes, I've felt comfortable with 43E (wide). I've also had shimano size 44 mountain bike shoes, which were ok, but not as snug as the 43E. I'd like to get an RX8, but none of the bike shops in my town carry these shoes in my size. I'm inclined to go with the 43E just because they have been comfortable in my road shoes, and although snug, the adjustable arch inserts gave my adequate support to prevent hotspots. Curious if others can share their experience with shimano wide shoes and the next size up. mostly concerned about toe box space.
Old 12-08-19, 04:39 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,174 Posts
I’ve used 3 different Shimano “wide” shoes, 087 road and mountain versions as well as 3 yr. old XC7 mt. bike shoes.

The XC7 runs narrower, but only by a bit, but it’s clear that Shimano does not use the same last on different models and years of shoes, thus it’s a bit of a crap shoot buying mail order.

I’m a 11.5 normal shoe, wear 46 bike shoes, excepting my Lake winter boots which I ordered in 47. Good thing as they are not as wide as Shimano.

One concept for buying mail order is to order normal sized and a 2nd pair larger, return whichever doesn’t fit. I just skip that as I find my LBS gives me a good deal, plus a club 10% discount, so just buy shoes there.
Old 12-10-19, 04:30 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Having had both Shimano wide mtb shoes (XC7) and Lakes in various forms, I can with 100% certainty that you'll get a better fit with the Lakes. The standard MX237 is just as wide as the wide Shimano, with more toe box room as well. The Wide Lakes are wider than other shoe I've seen. And the Lakes come in half sizes, the Shimanos left me in between sizes since they only come in full sizes.
Old 12-10-19, 05:43 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
I don't see anyone discounting those yet. I'd probably order a couple of pair from Amazon and keep the ones that fit best.
Old 12-10-19, 08:00 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Having had both Shimano wide mtb shoes (XC7) and Lakes in various forms, I can with 100% certainty that you'll get a better fit with the Lakes. The standard MX237 is just as wide as the wide Shimano, with more toe box room as well. The Wide Lakes are wider than other shoe I've seen. And the Lakes come in half sizes, the Shimanos left me in between sizes since they only come in full sizes.
Hoping your experience would be mine, I ordered Lake MXZ303 winter boots last year, in wide. I found them to be a bit narrower then any of the Shimano wide shoes I’ve used, or at least no wider than the Shimano XC7’s. Also don’t find them to be super warm, but better than shoes with neoprene booties. So YMMV for sure.
Old 12-10-19, 11:24 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
got email back from the supplier. the insole widths on the 43e and 44 for the shimano rx8 are pretty much the same. the 44 insole is about 0.8 cm longer. So it appears that the sizing for 43e on the RX8 mirrors that of the R321's I have. so that's the size i ordered. thanks for the lake suggestion. But i've had good experience with shimanos. I especially like their adjustable insoles. I have high arch, and their insoles are great. no need to mess around with aftermarket insoles.
Old 12-11-19, 06:32 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I don't see anyone discounting those yet. I'd probably order a couple of pair from Amazon and keep the ones that fit best.
They have been on sale off and on for $187 over the last month. I picked up a pair and they fit exactly like my road Shimano shoes.
Old 12-14-19, 01:24 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
do the lake mx237 shoes come with adjustable insoles?

I also noticed that they're significantly heavier (>100g per shoe) than the shimano rx8. maybe not a big deal to the enthusiast but it's something to consider.
Old 12-16-19, 10:55 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
do the lake mx237 shoes come with adjustable insoles?

I also noticed that they're significantly heavier (>100g per shoe) than the shimano rx8. maybe not a big deal to the enthusiast but it's something to consider.
No they don't (I don't even know what adjustable soles are.) And yes they are heavier. And the black dye likes to leak when they get super wet. But they're wide and comfortable.
Old 12-31-19, 11:43 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
the adjustable insoles have inserts that you can replace to adjust the arch support. for many, myself included, they're necessary to avoid foot pain.