Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Help me become a BMX poser!

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Old 02-05-20, 10:55 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts

It seems that I have decided I need a BMX style bike. Not because I want to race or start learning radical park tricks at almost age 60, but mostly because I appreciate the look of the bikes and just think it would be fun to ride around on one. Mostly in the neighborhood, or on the local MUP’s. Some light off road riding would be fun too.

I’m looking at 26 inch wheel bikes so I can actually ride it somewhere and back. Nothing bigger than 26 since I already have a 29” mountain bike.

I have spent much time looking online and have a good idea of what I want. More on that later. What I’m interested in hearing is what bike(s) YOU recommend for an old man just wanting to have some fun… and why. Thanks!
Old 02-06-20, 05:40 AM
acir71

Bikes: Mongoose Maurice FS 2011 fixed gear, custom 2017 Haro Master Flatland bmx, Contrast FL475 mid school flatland bmx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Hi, you might wanna check out the SE Ripper & Subrosa line up. I was researching about the 26incher and stumble upon these names the most. I don't own one so I can't really say anything beyond that
Old 02-06-20, 10:08 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
HEre ya go -- pose away

https://shop.fairdalebikes.com/colle...j-26-candy-red

https://www.sebikes.com/products/om-flyer-26

Last edited by DMC707; 02-06-20 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-07-20, 08:07 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Thanks, @acir71 and @DMC707.

That Fairdale in Candy Red with chrome fork and bars is hot. Graphics and lettering are nice and subtle too, which I like. Of course the video is fun also.

Most of the SE's are just too visually busy for me. Multi colors and lettering all over aren't my thing.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 02-09-20, 06:42 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
24 inch cruiser is what you need

get seat post extender if you need it
Old 02-11-20, 06:24 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
24 inch cruiser is what you need

get seat post extender if you need it
You may be on to something.

I recently got a Redline PL26. The bike has everything I like. Old school looks, standard size gearing, chrome, and subtle graphics/lettering.

While assembling it I noticed a repair on the top tube, where the paint was a shade darker or a bit thicker. Also a tiny dent when the light catches it right. The paint was glossy and smooth so I suspect it was a factory repair. I went back and forth between "it's barely noticeable just keep it", to "nope, my $550 new bike should be mint, send it back". It's been re-packed and is going back.

On my test ride it felt big. And heavy. Hopping or lifting even just the front wheel was difficult. Still, the bike absolutely fits the image I want, and since I promised my wife I wouldn't be doing any risky stunts, I'd be keeping it if it were mint.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 02-11-20, 08:38 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Beautiful Redline

i wish more people would ride BMX on a daily basis.
Old 02-12-20, 07:23 AM
acir71

Bikes: Mongoose Maurice FS 2011 fixed gear, custom 2017 Haro Master Flatland bmx, Contrast FL475 mid school flatland bmx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Love it! Timeless
Old 02-16-20, 06:11 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
J&R bikes has a 'big bikes' collection of 24"-29" wheel BMX bikes. https://jrbicycles.com/collections/big-bikes

Fit, GT, Haro, wtp, Sunday, subrosa,........ Most companies look to have 26" or 29" as well as 24".
Race cruisers are in there too, not sure if that's what you're looking for.
Old 02-16-20, 01:42 PM
Oldbikenut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
If you have a little time (to find one) and like to work on bikes go vintage!

Likes For Oldbikenut:
Old 02-16-20, 02:48 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Thanks for stopping by with the link, Viich .

Originally Posted by Oldbikenut

OMG Obn, Why didn't I even know this was a thing? So cool! Thanks.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 02-16-20, 08:29 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Not a traditional BMX bike, but I've been admiring this WTP cruiser quite a bit...

Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 02-17-20, 07:54 AM
Oldbikenut

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Thanks for stopping by with the link, Viich .

OMG Obn, Why didn't I even know this was a thing? So cool! Thanks.
Oh it's a thing and I really enjoy these bikes! The 26" cruisers seem to be popular these days for a lot of us that used to ride BITD or wished they had. I showed these two bikes of mine just to show the differences. The Schwinn King Sting is a 1981 and can be a bit pricey, the 1982 Murray Baja is a budget bike that I like riding just as much as the Schwinn and I'm kind of a sucker for chrome.
Old 02-17-20, 12:21 PM
Wonka

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Have you considered a 24" if you like the old school look? I got a Monza 24 inch earlier last fall and I'm impressed so far. Check them out at Monza bc dot com (I can't post links yet...)
Old 02-17-20, 12:21 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
I agree with the SE color schemes. So busy and wild.

Sunday makes a 24" bike.

There was another one I was thinking of too...….. Schwinn is making a 24"er that is BMX styled too. I think the only change I'd make is probably a plusher seat if I was gonna sit most of the time. There's another one out there too but I forget which company. Might be the subrosa one that someone posted.

I think the other one I'm thinkin of is a 26"er. Cult I think has one.

https://sundaybikes.com/bikes/2020-completes/model-c/
Old 02-17-20, 12:23 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Actually Cult makes a 26" and 29" cruiser/ bmx type.

https://cultcrew.com/collections/202...on-cruiser-raw
Old 02-17-20, 12:53 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by Wonka
Have you considered a 24" if you like the old school look? I got a Monza 24 inch earlier last fall and I'm impressed so far. Check them out at Monza bc dot com (I can't post links yet...)
I'm not sure on the 24" yet, I'd need to try one to see how comfortable and quick it is for distance. Remember, no stunts for me, only riding. I definitely dig the old school styling it has! Nice quality too, Tange CrMo tubing.

https://monzabc.com/collections/monz...e-skyway-white

Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 02-17-20, 03:00 PM
DMC707

I'm not sure on the 24" yet, I'd need to try one to see how comfortable and quick it is for distance.

It will not be comfortable ----- they (24" cruisers) are too small for an average size adult to actually ride ---- you would have to source an XL seatpost and reinforce it somehow to keep it from collapsing backwards -- keep in mind these little bikes are only made to be ridden for 45 seconds at a time and the seat is usually only on there for decoration when in an actual BMX race

Mine pictured is a 26" wheeled machine and I had to epoxy a wooden dowel inside the seatpost to keep them from folding backwards when I had it extended for actual riding outside of a BMX track

Likes For DMC707:
Old 02-17-20, 04:07 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by DMC707
It will not be comfortable ----- they (24" cruisers) are too small for an average size adult to actually ride ---- you would have to source an XL seatpost and reinforce it somehow to keep it from collapsing backwards -- keep in mind these little bikes are only made to be ridden for 45 seconds at a time and the seat is usually only on there for decoration when in an actual BMX race

Mine pictured is a 26" wheeled machine and I had to epoxy a wooden dowel inside the seatpost to keep them from folding backwards when I had it extended for actual riding outside of a BMX track

Thank you, DMC. What you are saying makes sense to me. I'm 5' 7", but have very long legs. (32 inch inseam) Here is the 26" Redline with the saddle adjusted to a normal position for proper pedal efficiency for me.

Your orange and chrome bike sure looks hot! It may be my favorite in the thread.

Old 02-18-20, 01:56 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
It seems that I have decided I need a BMX style bike. Not because I want to race or start learning radical park tricks at almost age 60, but mostly because I appreciate the look of the bikes and just think it would be fun to ride around on one. Mostly in the neighborhood, or on the local MUP’s. Some light off road riding would be fun too.

I’m looking at 26 inch wheel bikes so I can actually ride it somewhere and back. Nothing bigger than 26 since I already have a 29” mountain bike.

I have spent much time looking online and have a good idea of what I want. More on that later. What I’m interested in hearing is what bike(s) YOU recommend for an old man just wanting to have some fun… and why. Thanks!
Since you are older ( me too ). How does your body feel riding one of these? I was hit on my motorcycle in 2016. Did the PT/yoga for year no improvement. Had need surgery both knees 2017. More physical therapy and yoga. I can now hike 15 miles ish, but still can't run. So I am picking up bike riding. When I look at the bmx bike the idea of sitting down so low and peddling for like 30 minutes seems like my knees would have to bend way to much. dunno. Looks cool though.
Old 02-18-20, 01:58 AM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by Oldbikenut

What are those? They look really like. I like the extra gusset on the lower bike, reminds of my bmx bikes back in the day.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 02-18-20, 06:08 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Since you are older ( me too ). How does your body feel riding one of these? I was hit on my motorcycle in 2016. Did the PT/yoga for year no improvement. Had need surgery both knees 2017. More physical therapy and yoga. I can now hike 15 miles ish, but still can't run. So I am picking up bike riding. When I look at the bmx bike the idea of sitting down so low and peddling for like 30 minutes seems like my knees would have to bend way to much. dunno. Looks cool though.
It feels normal because I adjust the saddle the same as any other bike, to near full leg extension on the bottom of the down stroke. This kinda does ruin a bit of the cool, because a true BMX'er would have the saddle slammed. (and tilted up) But they are only riding for short distances, and spend a lot of that time standing. Riding anything more than a mile or two like this would be uncomfortable for sure. But with the saddle up it feels as comfortable as a beach cruiser. Especially with the 26 inch wheels.

Here's a retro Schwinn SX 1000 with 24" wheels available on sale at City Grounds for only $225. Pretty cool for sure!
Old 02-18-20, 08:13 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
What are those? They look really like. I like the extra gusset on the lower bike, reminds of my bmx bikes back in the day.

That would be because those bikes ARE from BITD. Top one is a Schwinn King Sting and the other one is a Murray Baja --- both from the early 80's .

Extremely cool machines --- pretty rare too
Likes For DMC707:
Old 02-18-20, 08:49 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
you would have to source an XL seatpost and reinforce it somehow to keep it from collapsing backwards -- keep in mind these little bikes are only made to be ridden for 45 seconds at a time and the seat is usually only on there for decoration when in an actual BMX race
Which is why MTB's have dropper posts now.

I'm partial to this thing, and its ancestors, though there's no room in the garage or budget. The Surly Sunrise Bar is also a good first step for turning any old MTB into a BMX.

https://surlybikes.com/blog/attentio...owside_is_here
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-18-20, 10:54 AM
sean.hwy

It feels normal because I adjust the saddle the same as any other bike, to near full leg extension on the bottom of the down stroke. This kinda does ruin a bit of the cool, because a true BMX'er would have the saddle slammed. (and tilted up) But they are only riding for short distances, and spend a lot of that time standing. Riding anything more than a mile or two like this would be uncomfortable for sure. But with the saddle up it feels as comfortable as a beach cruiser. Especially with the 26 inch wheels.

Here's a retro Schwinn SX 1000 with 24" wheels available on sale at City Grounds for only $225. Pretty cool for sure!
That make sense. Enjoy your new ride. Good looking bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.