Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I don't get gravel bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I don't get gravel bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-20, 11:38 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
There are differences, but minor. It's just the industry looking to make $ by creating sub sub sub sub types of disciplines and bikes.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 02-20-20, 12:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I used to have a CX back in the day. I rode it exactly the same way as I ride my gravel bike now. The gravel bike is more comfortable and handles better.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-20-20, 12:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
There are differences, but minor. It's just the industry looking to make $ by creating sub sub sub sub types of disciplines and bikes.
Is all this just due to an industry looking to make money, or is it an industry responding to consumer demand? Chicken or egg in the end- because whichever was the catalyst, the result is the same- bikes that people want so both the industry and consumers are happy.
Since shortly before this explosion in popularity gravel riding was being done on bikes that were kludged together for many years, it would appear that what actually happened is the industry responded to consumer demand. But if you need the narrative to be the industry controlling what happens, thats cool since it certainly is applicable to the sport in some instances. And is it really bad if an industry creates a product and then works for demand to meet the product? Thats how a lot of advances in technology(across all industries) happen.

Bowlers own multiple balls. Knitters own tons of different needles and types of yarn. Equestrians own multiple horses. Golfers own shot specific clubs and often times multiple types of the same club. Fishermen own uncountable amounts of lures and reels.
Cyclists then own multiple bikes.
Hobbies often lead to specialization of utility items.

As for the differences between CX and gravel being minor, yes that is true that the differences can be minor. They can also me quite major. It totally depends on what specific bikes you are comparing because again, the tent that is gravel covers a lot of ground.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-20-20, 01:08 PM
eduskator

Whoever spins the well is indeed a good question. Might be one, might be the other, might be the two...

My university degree is in business management & marketing. I am clearly biased.
Old 02-20-20, 01:35 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Whoever spins the well is indeed a good question. Might be one, might be the other, might be the two...

My university degree is in business management & marketing. I am clearly biased.
Do you feel that the differentiation is warranted in the case of road race vs road endurance? I certainly do and have no qualms about it with gravel bikes, either - the shorthand that helps to indicate what I can expect in terms of geometry and features is welcomed, in fact. If I had to pour over geometry charts and bullet points for every drop bar bike, it'd be a right pain in the ass. One can choose to look at it as Evil Big Bike trying to separate fools from their money or one can look at it as making it easier for prospective buyers to find the features that they want.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-20-20, 01:39 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10153 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
One can choose to look at it as Evil Big Bike trying to separate fools from their money or one can look at it as making it easier for prospective buyers to find the features that they want.
A believer in the magic of the Market would probably say it's both and bully for it!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-20-20, 01:48 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Do you feel that the differentiation is warranted in the case of road race vs road endurance? I certainly do and have no qualms about it with gravel bikes, either - the shorthand that helps to indicate what I can expect in terms of geometry and features is welcomed, in fact. If I had to pour over geometry charts and bullet points for every drop bar bike, it'd be a right pain in the ass. One can choose to look at it as Evil Big Bike trying to separate fools from their money or one can look at it as making it easier for prospective buyers to find the features that they want.

Profit being the main goal of a business, I must tend towards the dark side of the force. As I said, I am biased.
Old 02-20-20, 01:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
If your bike works on gravel, then you don't *need* a gravel bike. But I def like the bigger tire clearance, geo, and gearing on my gravel bike over CX bikes. Plus, I don't race CX. I know plenty of people who do, and they ride their CX bikes on gravel with no issues.
Yep. I race CX on a straightup race bike, but it's fun on gravel. Heck, I've ridden it on singletrack and done some of the local mtb races on it.
Old 02-20-20, 02:04 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Lots of good opinion in this thread. Generally speaking, you can't lump all gravel bikes into a single category -- primarily because so many manufacturers cynically just glued a "gravel" label onto whatever bike (usually a CX bike or an endurance bike) they thought they could pass off as a gravel bike. But I'm going to lump non-pretender, purpose-built gravel bikes into a category I'll call "real" gravel bikes.

A "real" gravel bike, to me, makes the most sense of all. It has road thru axles and disc brakes so, with a change of wheels, it can do everything from road races to touring to endurance to CX to gravel to easy MTB trails. Wide range road gearing. Lots of tire clearance -- but 50mm of tire clearance doesn't keep you from mounting up a set of 23mm tires. A lower bottom bracket than a "real" CX bike -- which also means better stability in the rough stuff than a CX bike (but less crank clearance on side slopes). A gravel bike is better called an "allroad bike" because it is a very good bike for a huge variety of surfaces.

My OPEN (a "real" gravel bike) comes within about .1 to .15 mph average speed, compared to my BMC SLR01 on smooth roads with the same wheels and tires. On chipseal roads, it's as fast or faster. And when rough roads or gravel or mud or dirt roads or cattle trails come around, the BMC stays at home. The OPEN is clearly superior. It's a couple pounds heavier, but for a lot of situations, it's just the better bike. And it takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

If I had to have just one bike, it would be a "real" gravel bike. It's the only bike sufficiently versatile to cover literally everything I want to do with a bike.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 02-20-20, 02:55 PM
WhyFi

Profit being the main goal of a business, I must tend towards the dark side of the force. As I said, I am biased.
So the differentiation isn't warranted in either case?

I've got a lot of experience in front-line sales, though not with bikes. I think that having sub-categories is great and see it as an extension of language - it's a shorthand that can convey generalizations and get people on the same page pretty quickly. At the same time, I know that buyers are generally not that dumb and they're going to buy the number of bikes that they're going to buy - some people are just two bike kind of people, whereas others are hoarders regardless. I don't think that bestowing a name upon a set of characteristics is going to move the needle much in that regard, though it just might provide a way of scratching an existing, and otherwise elusive, itch.
Old 02-21-20, 05:14 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
The main goal of businesses putting out gravel bikes was to provide more stupid **** for BF members to argue about.
Likes For billyymc:
Old 02-21-20, 06:38 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I too was at first skeptical of the need for a gravel bike. I am not in to gravel, and on the few times I've gone on gravel rides, I've used my 10-year-old cross bike.

That said, I have several friends who have gotten very into it. And from what I hear from them, the gravel bikes are pretty different from what is out there. The tire clearance alone is huge. And the variety of tire options depending on type of gravel or terrain is quite impressive. And some of the innovations, like Canyon's flex bar, are pretty neat too.

Still, one could probably put drop bars on a hardtail mountain bike and have a hell of a gravel bike. (The new Evil gravel bike looks a lot like that.)

(And I say all this as someone who spends all his time doing track racing on 21 tubulars.)
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 02-21-20, 08:33 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
. And some of the innovations, like Canyon's flex bar, are pretty neat too.
But soooooo ugly
Old 02-21-20, 08:43 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Cypress
But soooooo ugly
Hideous.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-21-20, 09:59 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Never thought I’d see a post on this forum eschewing the need or desire to have N+1 bikes.

Ok, so why does anyone need any style of bike that is different (or does different things) than their current bike? Well, does an artist have one brush, a chef only one pot, a mechanic only one tool? A real bike rider has need of many steeds. Many steeds, indeed. (But never recumbents or trikes.)
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 02-21-20, 12:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
The main goal of businesses putting out gravel bikes was to provide more stupid **** for BF members to argue about.
​​​​​​No, you're wrong about that.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-21-20, 04:07 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Gravel bikes are becoming rigid drop bar MTBs. Is anyone making a full suspension gravel bike?
Old 02-21-20, 04:25 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Is anyone making a full suspension gravel bike?
Niner, though I'm not sure if it's on the market yet. Not sure what kind of travel, either.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-21-20, 04:39 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Gravel bikes are becoming rigid drop bar MTBs. Is anyone making a full suspension gravel bike?
Yes. "Like butter" Clint says.

Old 02-21-20, 05:13 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by tyrion
Yes. "Like butter" Clint says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV0DjJoIwMM

Oh dang! I'd ride that.
Old 02-21-20, 05:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Gravel bikes are becoming rigid drop bar MTBs.
Some are, but others are becoming road bikes that just take wider tires.
Old 02-21-20, 05:39 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Some are, but others are becoming road bikes that just take wider tires.
Either way, I like them. Lynskey is having a 35% off sale right now, and it is taking every bit of restraint I have to abstain from ordering a gravel frame.
Old 02-22-20, 07:03 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I used to have a CX back in the day. I rode it exactly the same way as I ride my gravel bike now. The gravel bike is more comfortable and handles better.
Same. I had a Colnago exactly like the OP’s, nice machine, but my cheapo gravel bike is a more pleasant bike to ride. My gravel bike approaches the feel of my road bike but isn’t a prima donna when it sees something other than smooth asphalt.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 02-22-20, 07:19 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Before gravel bikes became a "thing" with specialized bikes, gravel bikes were just old bikes that people repurposed (gravel mutts). I liked that. It reminded me of the very early days of mountain bikes when old Schwinns were repurposed to ride off road. The point is that gravel riding is nowhere near as technical as single track and a lot of bikes can do the job well. In fact old road bikes were designed for crummy roads.

Mountain bikes blew up the bike industry in really interesting ways not the least of which is that fatter tires and more forgiving gearing open up crummy roads with fewer cars. As drivers become more distracted with their toys, those gravel roads become more appealing. I've thought about buying a gravel bike because they pack a lot of cool technology but then I have an older bike--a '93 Bridgestone XO 2 (road geometry, 26 inch wheels) that does the job well enough for me. I wouldn't mind a lighter bike and I'd love to have disc brakes but the XO 2 with cantilevers does the job.
Old 02-22-20, 08:18 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2627 Post(s)
Liked 3,144 Times in 1,654 Posts
I tend to think of gravel bikes as more capable cyclocross bikes... wider tires, more relaxed geo, lower BB, more "beefy". Don't some real cross bikes not even have water bottle cage mounts? Don't need those in a cross race where you'll be shouldering the bike a bit. Cross bikes are best suited for cross races, where gravel bikes are better suited to support an all-day mixed surface ride.

Having said that I have 0 experience owning or riding either so take that FWIW (not much)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.