Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thank You Bicycle Mechanics!!!

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-15-20, 02:04 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts

I wish I could recall the name of every one of you who patiently answered my questions, but this is to say THANK YOU!!! Major props to all of you professional mechanics out there. I had a major bicycle accident back in July, and decided to build up a trainer bike while I recovered. Here is what you helped me accomplish:

I bought this bike from a fellow moving out of state, a 2009 Specialized Allez with an 8-speed groupset. I decided to remake into a trainer bike from parts I mostly already had.

Ultimately I wound up replacing the bars and the saddle as well, leaving me with the frame, fork, headset, stem, seatpost, and brake calipers as a starting point.

I’m very excited and thankful for the help from this community. For some reason the cabling gave me the most fits and I was on the brink of taking it in to the shop, but I stuck with it and everything seems to be shifting smoothly now. I wound up with a hodge-podge 10 speed drivetrain (105 shifters, Ultegra 6700 RD, Tiagra FD, FSA compact crankset) and some slightly lighter wheels. Looking forward to continuing to recover and good times on the trainer and the road!

Last edited by Plainsman; 03-15-20 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-15-20, 03:14 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
I have to say, as someone who probably didn't participate in the original thread that you will have made those people feel that their input was worth their while. A class move
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-15-20, 05:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Nice looking bike. Glad it's in a color I'll be able to see when going from areas of bright sun to no sun while on the road or bike path.

I built up my bike from a frame too and the shifting is so smooth. However it does take an effort to keep it that way once or twice a year. So don't get disgusted if you have similar rides that it just doesn't work as well as you bragged to others.
Old 03-15-20, 05:22 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. So many times we make recommendations and never hear whether, or how, they worked out.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 03-15-20, 09:30 PM
Plainsman

Originally Posted by Iride01
Nice looking bike. Glad it's in a color I'll be able to see when going from areas of bright sun to no sun while on the road or bike path.

I built up my bike from a frame too and the shifting is so smooth. However it does take an effort to keep it that way once or twice a year. So don't get disgusted if you have similar rides that it just doesn't work as well as you bragged to others.
. Sorry, I definitely didn’t mean it to come off as bragging. I was just excited to be able to sort out the setup using advice here and from the web, versus throwing up my hands and asking someone to do it for me. There’s some satisfaction in finishing a job. Just grateful that there is such a repository of knowledge like on this forum, and so many willing to share their experience and skill with me!
Old 03-16-20, 01:07 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Nice horse! Good work too.
Old 03-16-20, 06:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Originally Posted by Plainsman
. Sorry, I definitely didn’t mean it to come off as bragging. I was just excited to be able to sort out the setup using advice here and from the web, versus throwing up my hands and asking someone to do it for me. There’s some satisfaction in finishing a job. Just grateful that there is such a repository of knowledge like on this forum, and so many willing to share their experience and skill with me!
You don't need to be sorry or apologize for anything. The bike looks great. You should brag.

If my post sounded like I was miff'd or any thing negative toward your's, it was totally unintentional. I thought I was all positive. Perhaps I shouldn't have stuck my own boast in to this thread if anything.
Old 03-17-20, 07:20 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Hey, you did a nice job, so a little bragging is fine. Looks great. Hope you heal up and are able to ride it on the road soon.
Old 03-17-20, 10:18 PM
Plainsman

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Been riding and tinkering for awhile, feel like I'm always learning (or forgetting and re-learning!). Took it for a quick shakedown ride today, shifted great, but spent 20 minutes trying to ID a strange rattle at the back-end. Even took video. Finally figured out I had only installed a single 1mm spacer to put my 10 speed Shimano cassette on the 11 speed hub! Guess I'll figure out how many spacers eventually!